The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Pick Recommendations Please

Hi,

Would appreciate input / suggestions for acoustic guitar picks. My go to pick is a Dunlop nylon .73 but sometimes I'd like that same feel with a bit more volume and clarity. I'm primarily a strummer and play a lot of 50's thru 80's. Dunlop .73 nylon feels and sounds great for songs like "Everyday with You Girl" (Classics IV), most Motown songs (Four Tops, Sam Cooke, etc.), "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying", etc. BUT I'm looking for more volume & clarity on songs like "American Girl" or "Walk of Life" (Dire Straits) or "Mountain of Love" (Johnny Rivers). Been trying other picks but still searching for the sound and feel I'm looking for. Appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 PM

Dunlop make a few different pick 'variety packs' that are great.

I also bought this 'Wedgie' pick pack ... but it did have some ridiculous monsters in there!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-16-2019, 08:27 PM

You like the Dunlop’s
Try the Flow, and the Primetone.
Bonus, that are stippled and easy to hang on to.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Just what Brucebubs said. Start with a sample pack and go from there. The search for that "perfect" pick is so elusive. It may be time-consuming but check out diff guitar pick websites and read the descriptions about their playing characteristics!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Picks are like strings. There's no right or wrong only trial and evaluation until you find what size, shape, material, thickness..... works best for you.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:46 PM

I've tried a lot of picks.

For strumming, I like the nylon Dunlop .60. Long played the regular Dunlop but I like the Max-Grip nylon .60s even better.

For grip and feel, moreso than sound, the pick I always reach for when playing the electric or flatpicking is the Gravity Gold Classic 1.0MM. It's a $20 pick so I only play it at home, but I love that it stays where I want it to stay.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi, My go to pick is a Dunlop nylon .73 but sometimes I'd like that same feel with a bit more volume and clarity. I'm primarily a strummer and play a lot of 50's thru 80's.
For many years, primarily as a strummer, I have been using .60mm picks made of Delrin. I won't go into why Delrin is one of the best pick materials other than to quote, "It has a high abrasion resistance and a very low coefficient of friction making it appear to be self lubricating. It possesses high tensile strength, creep resistance and toughness. It also exhibits low moisture absorption and fatigue endurance".
Old 10-16-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
You like the Dunlop’s

Try the Flow, and the Primetone.

Bonus, that are stippled and easy to hang on to.
I like the Dunlops too, specially the Primetone and NuTone.
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 10-16-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
For many years, primarily as a strummer, I have been using .60mm picks made of Delrin. I won't go into why Delrin is one of the best pick materials other than to quote, "It has a high abrasion resistance and a very low coefficient of friction making it appear to be self lubricating. It possesses high tensile strength, creep resistance and toughness. It also exhibits low moisture absorption and fatigue endurance".
George, can you post that again but this time in English!!!
Old 10-17-2019, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

I also suggest trying Dunlop Primetones. Sounds like u prefer thinner and they’re made in both .73 and .88. They have both smooth and raised letter surfaces (for grip). Try em both. I think they produce lower pick noise and better overall tone than comparably (and some higher) priced picks.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 AM

There's a reason that celluloid continues to be a popular choice as a pick material despite being one of the earliest plastics ever made. Try some celluloid picks in various gauges and see how you like them.

whm
Old 10-17-2019, 01:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

I think Bruce is right on the money. Dunlop variety packs are such a good value. Be sure to eventually try the Dunlop Ultex, Flow and Primetone lines, easily the best value pick lines in the industry.

Happy Hunting!

Scott
Old 10-17-2019, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi,

Would appreciate input / suggestions for acoustic guitar picks. My go to pick is a Dunlop nylon .73 but sometimes I'd like that same feel with a bit more volume and clarity. I'm primarily a strummer and play a lot of 50's thru 80's. Dunlop .73 nylon feels and sounds great for songs like "Everyday with You Girl" (Classics IV), most Motown songs (Four Tops, Sam Cooke, etc.), "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying", etc. BUT I'm looking for more volume & clarity on songs like "American Girl" or "Walk of Life" (Dire Straits) or "Mountain of Love" (Johnny Rivers). Been trying other picks but still searching for the sound and feel I'm looking for. Appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!
Hi W, as already said picks, strings and underpants - all very much a personal choice!

I bet that everyone on this forum has a large box (or tree) full of picks tried and cast aside.

Most beginners start with very thin picks and slowly progress to thicker picks as their style becomes more intricate.

Dunlops offer the widest choice, but if I may - don't limit yourself to 351 teardrops as shown in those variety packs, but look for the 346 style large triangles too as they offer more pick to hold, , more mass per thickness and three pointy ends.

An ideal pick gives you the ability to feel the impact of the pick on string, whilst not bending noticeably, and gives you just a little bit of instant attack sound then following through to a clean clear string sound.

I used to use really thin picks like .73 m/m for a long time before eralising that they were "slapping" the strings rather than following my hand direction, and now use 1 - 1.25 m/m

For a beginner I suggest that you investigate the Dunlop "tortex" types, as well as the primetones which many like (I don't) but as I say - it's personal and your preferences will change wih your picking progress.

Welcome to the journey!
Old 10-17-2019, 03:38 AM

Thanks to a poster's suggestion I discovered Graph Tech TUSQ picks which I really like. I've been through Dunlop Tortex, Ultex, Primetone and a few others recently but have settled (for how long I don't know), on TUSQ .88 which have the stiffness:thickness ratio just right and to my ears sound much better than all the others I mentioned. They are also slightly smaller than the standard teardrop with more taper to the pointy end.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 AM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion