The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 05:35 AM

I'm in the market for something similar as well but don't have the budget for the 000-18. I was considering the Road Series version, the 000-13e but it's not mahogany b/s.

I was also eyeballing the Eastman E6OM which seems to be similarly spec'ed. Has anyone played one? Or even the E1OM which is sepele back and sides. I know a lot of folks love Eastmans so I was wondering what thoughts you had on those.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman mahogany OMs

I own 3 and previously owned a Martin 000-18. I decided to let the Martin go - great guitar but too much money tied up in too little talent. I thoroughly enjoy my Eastman OMs (1) E10OM-TC torrified adirondack over mahogany. This is very balanced woody sounding OM. There is one for sale right now over on the EGF forum for $900. This is a great model at a very good price. (2) 2012 AH6OME - this is basically an E6OM with special herring bone trim and factory installed UST. I picked it up used from GC and compared to the E10 is just a sweeter sounding and easy playing guitar. Although both are spruce/mahogany they are very different. Also the sound of the AH6 has aged beautifully. The E10 is less than one year old. The last one is an E40OM adirondack/rosewood. Absolutely stellar guitar with great base, sparkling highs and incredible overtones. It was a little pricey and is a little blingy but was too beautiful to pass up. It is less than two years old and just continues to slowly mature. If I had to sell off my guitars, this one would be the last to go.
With all of that said, neither of the mahogany guitars sounds like the Martin 000-18 I had. That is neither good nor bad, just different. If you are looking for that classic dry 000-18 sound, save a little more money and find a good used 000-18. Personally IMHO you can't go wrong with any of the Eastmans. I have never played the E1OM, but I have tried some sapele B/S guitars and did not like the sound. They seemed to be a little brighter to my ears than the mahogany equivalent.

Last edited by tomcstokes59; 10-16-2019 at 06:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-16-2019, 07:01 AM

A lot of good but personal advice. If you stall, someone else will get that 000-18 at GC while your pondering. A 000-18, the one that speaks, is like getting a boutique that would cost twice the price. Everybody has their own likes. I A/B'd with a 00-18 when I got mine. Me and the salesman agreed there was no comparison. An Eastman, had the OM10 nor Yamaha will substitute. No way.

Edit: I don't like coming across as bashing someone else's opinion. If the money is an issue there are always alternatives for a still nice instrument. Less expensive quality always intrigues me and I have purchased several online. I own none of those today however. I think the OP is looking for that direct comparison to the 000-18 and would be less than satisfied with the one's that would save him/her the cost. I may be out on a limb on this one since I really love the 000-18.

Last edited by Guildman; 10-16-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:28 AM

I agree that if that classic 000-18 tone is what pleases you, there isn't much else out there that will satisfy.

However, I had an Eastman for awhile and it was a nicely built sweet sounding guitar for about half the price of a Martin. Still, it didn't quite do it for me tonally. I also had a cool Silver Creek (guitar center brand no longer being made) OM that was a great guitar for under $500. Probably could get a used one for $200-300.

Let know what you end up getting!
scott
Old 10-16-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Everyone has their personal preferences and each guitar has its own personality.

When I was doing a lot of my comparison shopping I tried a Martin OMC18e so as mentioned not quite the same as the 000 given the scale differences.

In direct head to head comparison at similar price points I found instruments that I liked better. It wasn't easy as the Martin was right up there and I liked it a lot.

The Breedlove Premier I ended up with at the time as one example. Since then I found a new old stock Breedlove Journey for less than the price of the 000-18, a Kronbauer TDK for that price (there is currently a used TDK rosewood / Sitka for just under 2k USD in the agf classifieds) and several others that from my perspective are a better playing / sounding guitar. I think the Martin 18s are excellent guitars, but particularly at the new dealers pricing I think there is the opportunity to find other things that are better if you are less concerned about brand name and open up your search.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:40 AM

"I think the Martin 18s are excellent guitars, but particularly at the new dealers pricing I think there is the opportunity to find other things that are better if you are less concerned about brand name and open up your search."

Certainly a factor. I was able to trade + 1000.00 for the 000-18 which was a lot easier than putting 2500.00 on the counter.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
I'll say right up front that I seldom find Martins appealing, but I recently played two 000-18 examples at one of the GCs here in Atlanta. The first one really felt alive and sounded great. The second one seemed very lack luster, and I would in no way consider purchasing it. Before I pull the trigger on a $2500 guitar however, I would like to try alternatives.
The usual disclaimers apply at most guitar stores, and especially GC: strings are sometimes old or worn, setups may not be optimal.
So the one that was less-good-sounding to you may still be a good guitar, just affected by the issues above. Likewise the better one didn't. Or maybe it was in fact a particularly good example.

But any of the forum sponsors should offer a new 000-18 for around $1900. I would definitely not pay the GC price tag.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 10-16-2019, 09:28 AM

there is no direct sub for a 000-18 and non better. There are a lot of diffferent sounding/playing guitars at more or less dollars. You may find something you like better but it wont be a direct sub. I have learned the hard way to go with what I want rather then what I could afford. You can buy it whether you can afford it or not. Part of having a guitar is loving it. You love that one so take it home.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Default OMe Cherry

I have both the 000-18, and the OMe Cherry.
The Cherry gets more playtime.
Right after I bought it I changed strings on both guitars to Martin Life span PB.
The Cherry seemed to be a better strummer, as it seemed to have more overtones than the 000-18.
The 000_18 won out as far as volume goes.
Now I keep the PB strings on the 000-18, but have switched to D Addario NB strings on the Cherry.
I still play my 18, but the Cherry spends more time out of its case.
Like some of the other posters have said, you can't go wrong with a good 000-18.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I find no fault in the common platitudes of "No better ", All you need".

I had two and just for room I sold them. They recorded really well. They also had a large, compressed, sweet spot for songcraft.

A half a year later I go to the open mic night and the three best performers all had them. Of course I second guessed my selling them. I will stick with my more nuanced Gibson background for now.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:46 PM

check out a standard OM28 as well, it will be very similar but give you a bit more power in the strumming/projection area. The added tension also can work better for alternate tuning and capo work. I have owned the 000-18 and it is a fantastic guitar, but the OM edged it out because of the reasons I stated above. The body is exactly the same as well and the 000 short scale can be more comfy for some to play but I didn't feel really much different between them.

My reasons are based on directly comparing my 17' OM to two 000-18s, one a 2017 and the other a 2019 so I felt pretty confident in my choice.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb23 View Post
I'm in the market for something similar as well but don't have the budget for the 000-18. I was considering the Road Series version, the 000-13e but it's not mahogany b/s.

I was also eyeballing the Eastman E6OM which seems to be similarly spec'ed. Has anyone played one? Or even the E1OM which is sepele back and sides. I know a lot of folks love Eastmans so I was wondering what thoughts you had on those.
I love my Eastman E6OM. I also like the 000-18 much ...but I already own a D-18, so it did not make sens to me to buy a 000-18. If I had the choice now I'd still go for the E6OM although it has less dynamic than a 000-18 and sounds less "even".

One major advantage of the Eastman is the neck. I don't like the Martin MLO PA taper neck: it is too skinny. Eastman neck is beefier. Tonewise, I'd say the Martin 000-18 is a better guitar. I would not say that from a 000-13e.

Honestly, If Eastman made an E6OM/v with their varnish finish (french polish) I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Keep in mind that Eastman E10s and E20s are much brighter than the E6 and E8 unless you go for the torrified version. In every case, the Martin standard equivalent usually sounds more "even". However, the Eastman is still my "go to" guitar. It requires me more effort with the right hand to get the tone I want but it is very rewarding because it is a very responsive and lively instrument.

The Martins I have just deliver. You don't have to make as much effort. The tone just pops out right and beautiful.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-17-2019, 12:01 AM

You obviously have a discerning ear. You know what you like the sound of and.can hear the difference. If it was me I would run, not walk back to that store to buy the Martin 000-18 that you loved.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:16 AM

Well, I am certainly not in any rush to buy another guitar, and one of the advantages of being in a major metro area is that one can be very picky--something else always comes along. There are 4 GCs, a Sam Ash, and many independent shops (including Maple Street Guitars) within a 30 min drive of my house. The used market is also huge.

I will try some of the recommended Martins above, and hopefully the 000-18 that I liked will still be there. I have to say that it concerns me a bit that the two examples I played differed so greatly. Had the salesman happened to hand me the other example first, I would have shown zero interest, and moved on to something else. Folks on this forum frequently write about guitars getting better with age. What if they can take a turn for the worse!!!??!!

I also need to try some more Eastman guitars. There don't seem to be many in stock locally at present. And I'm still waiting on the red labels.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 10-17-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post

I have to say that it concerns me a bit that the two examples I played differed so greatly. Had the salesman happened to hand me the other example first, I would have shown zero interest, and moved on to something else. Folks on this forum frequently write about guitars getting better with age. What if they can take a turn for the worse!!!??!!

I've seen that at GC before. It could be old strings or just needs some tweaking. I have a local shop that goes through every guitar and sets it up and puts strings on it. Everything you pick up in there plays well and sounds good regardless of brand or price. I don't think that is the practice at GC.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion