The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2019, 06:21 AM

The English and Canadian have already voted for full employment of the price suggested by the Op - it may indicate we don’t know how bad college conditions are abroad (humor).
Old 10-12-2019, 07:42 AM

The acoustics that I play regularly are Indiana and Takamine. Though the Indiana's are OK, not one cost more than $150, I would reccomend the Takamine.

I own a Takamine GJ72CE 12 string and a GD93. I play bluegrass jams and always have at least one of Takamine's with me.

I get a lot of complements on the sound of the 12 string. The last jam I played I sat next to a banjo player. At the end of the session he looked at the headstock to what i was playing. He could hear the GD93.

So I may be a little bias but give Takamine a good look. I have yet to pick one up that doesn't play above it's price point.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-12-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsed View Post
a $2500 guitar in a dorm room somewhat sounds like a bad idea to me. What if you get a used good guitar or lower model and get the $2500 when you move out of the dorms? I don't mean to be debby downer, but dorms are not a good place for valuable guitars. But I agree with the others about the Martin suggestions.
I agree with the above but would go in a different direction and locate a new or used Rainsong H-DR1100N2 for about half of your budget...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-12-2019, 07:55 AM

I agree with others, get used import Guild or Eastman for a dorm room guitar. Save about 2k and , Get a better guitar later.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:08 AM

I'm trying to help you out here so please consider my advice.

At first I was thinking you sound like a great guitar player and get a Martin D-28. When I read the comments and that this is going to be a dorm guitar. Do NOT get an exspensive guitar! When I was in high school my amp was stolen and thankfully it was just a cheap amp. You will feel sick to your stomach if you lose a 2.5k guitar. My guitar teacher rented a home and had some nice gear when he was in college. This was still kinda a risky situation if you party. I would just get something to get the job done and enjoy life. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:20 AM

There's only one answer to a question like this; try as many different guitars as you can, within your budget, then buy the one you like best. It's as easy as that.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 AM

I agree with the advice to save the money and while you are in college housing use a cheaper guitar you won't mind getting passed around or beat up.

My suggestion: Yamaha FG800 (new or used) or Alvarez MD60BG (used) - these are great players and will tolerate some abuse and are great guitars at a good value. Put the money you save into a low-to-moderate risk investment and buy yourself a Martin as a graduation gift.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 10-12-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_J- View Post
Myself: Freshman in college. Been playing guitar for 4, 5 years.
Style: Mostly basic Travis Picking. Plays Townes van Zandt, John Prine, Blaze Foley, and Guy Clark songs very close to the original. Sometimes strum chords of Jimmie Rodger and Hank Williams songs. (And yes, I use my thumb on the low E string a lot)
Guitar Gear Experience: Hmm, had a general brand cheap synthetic guitar. Currently have an Applause cutaway with plastic back and sides. Never owned a guitar over 300 dollars.
Preference: Given my guitar heroes, I will lean toward Martin D-28 and Gibson J-45 or their variants.
Environment: Jail cell-like college dorm. No humidity control, no guitar stand.
Budget: 2.5k
Please suggest guitars. I went to guitar center last month and most Gibsons sounded super dead (oof). Martins sounded great and were easy to play.
Thanks in advance!
I’ve read all the responses so far and agree that a high end guitar and college dorm are not a good mix. You didn’t tell us how you intend to use your guitar. Personal playing, jamming, performing, recording, taking guitar classes? Should you decide to go with a $2500 guitar It would be a very good idea to get insurance on it through Clarion, Heritage, or another company that specializes in instrument insurance. You’ll be covered for damage and theft, my policy is up for renewal and I pay $175 annually to cover all my guitars, I’m not sure what their minimum policy is.

The selection and quality of guitars that are similar to Martins and Gibsons but cost considerably less is pretty good and this is also a good market for someone buying a used guitar. As mentioned before if you let us know where you are geographically someone may be able to point you toward some good shops to check. Also remember Guitar Center is a good source nationally of used guitars that can be shipped to your local store.

Good luck with your quest for the right guitar for your college years, make sure it has a good set up, and enjoy getting to know it. Also best wishes with your studies.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Another person commented on a Voyage Air. You might also look at a Furch Little Jane along the same idea. They pack apart really nicely sound decent and pack down to take up little space along with having a reasonably protective storage case.

From my college days I had $300-500 electrics that I carried around. But looking back if I had the Furch that would have been awesome. Easy to travel back and forth to wherever and a nice Accoustic.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Okay. Since folks seem to want to dissuade you from your original goal. There's no reason to buy something that sounds decent or that simply satisfies "cheap". I'll be self-serving. With D-18'ish specs, fantastic playability and tone, the Voyage Air VAD1 has real-guitar features and size, lovely to be around AND can be easily taken anywhere you go on campus and to-and-from college-

As I stated in my first post in this thread, if you stay with your original question and budget - get a D-18.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 10-12-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Removed for sale ad.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Interestingly, the one person who hasn't responded here is - the OP.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Thank you so much for all the replies. Hmm I'm not sure if y'all can see my reply if I don't respond to a specific person. After thinking it over and over this morning, I don't think my dorm room can safe enough for a 2.5k guitar. I don't party, and I never drink. But still the risk is just too much. I live in Nashville. I've been lurking on here for a good year before finally joining, so I'm aware of the stores in Nashville that people recommend, but I'm not aware of any that is willing to cut deals. I just play the guitar to myself and sometimes perform with just myself and the guitar (just like my favorite artists did). So yeah I might get a Yamaha, which one has a narrow neck?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for all the replies. Hmm I'm not sure if y'all can see my reply if I don't respond to a specific person. After thinking it over and over this morning, I don't think my dorm room can safe enough for a 2.5k guitar. I don't party, and I never drink. But still the risk is just too much. I live in Nashville. I've been lurking on here for a good year before finally joining, so I'm aware of the stores in Nashville that people recommend, but I'm not aware of any that is willing to cut deals. I just play the guitar to myself and sometimes perform with just myself and the guitar (just like my favorite artists did). So yeah I might get a Yamaha, which one has a narrow neck?
That's probably a great call. FWIW I've found all Yamaha acoustic necks to be on the narrow side...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
OP - if you are willing to give us your general location then perhaps a forum member could make a suggestion as to a possible store or stores that would be good to visit. If guitar center is your only option and it’s a decent one, then you should be able to try out most of the standard offerings from Martin , Gibson, Taylor, as well Yamaha. Just keep going back to try as many guitars as you can, as often as you can. And sometimes you might even find a used guitar that you might like ...for less.

Edit...if you are to follow the advice of those who suggest not to get an expensive guitar while living in a dorm, which is good advice, check out orangewood guitars. You can get an all solid wood guitar for a few hundred and they sound and play great, for what they are
Nashville, TN
Old 10-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So yeah I might get a Yamaha, which one has a narrow neck?
I think they all do. I have an LS6 ARE, which is a really nice thing for the money - and you can pick them up cheap secondhand. If you want a dred, the LL6 is the one. (Get the ARE versions, it's an update since 2014 - nicer neck profile, better electrics and Yams version of a torrified top.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion