The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsed View Post
a $2500 guitar in a dorm room somewhat sounds like a bad idea to me. What if you get a used good guitar or lower model and get the $2500 when you move out of the dorms? I don't mean to be debby downer, but dorms are not a good place for valuable guitars.
I agree entirely.

I'd suggest an X-series Martin or one of the imported Guilds, preferably used from Craigslist. Buy a nice D-28 or D-35 once you have upgraded living arrangements.

Edit to add: I don't know if Voyage-Air is still in business, but a VAD-04 would have been the perfect guitar for me in college. The neck folds in half, so great for roadtrips and packs down fairly small.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-12-2019, 02:15 AM

Default Shaky

During college and a lot of other shaky situations I had a guitar. Brand x type guitar. It was wood. Another was expensive, a very nice Aria. I must have been real lucky because neither of them got stolen. When you are in a college dorm there is great risk for a nice Martin or Gibson being stolen. You just don't have enough control over the security of your stuff. I recommend something cheap and decent from a brand unlikely to be stolen. In order to safely own a nice guitar you have to be able to provide a secure environment for that guitar. Otherwise the guitar is worthless no matter how much money you spend on it. Therefore, maybe bring a worthless guitar to college with you. Losing a worthless guitar is even tuff. Things like guitars get attached to you.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_J- View Post
Myself: Freshman in college.
Environment: Jail cell-like college dorm. No humidity control, no guitar stand.
Budget: 2.5k
This is one of those "things I would have told my younger self" situations and a recipe for disaster.

Spend your money once you've graduated and have a place of your own. In the meantime, buy a laminated Yamaha or an HPL Martin - the latter might impress your college friends, but you need the right toons to impress the ladies!

Good luck - enjoy your freedom while you're young... death and taxes await...
Old 10-12-2019, 04:16 AM

By all means buy a better guitar than the one you have but buy an even better guitar when you have a better place to keep it.

Now say that fast a few times!

.... and welcome to the AGF!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-12-2019, 04:51 AM

Martin D-18 for luxury, Yamaha LL16 for great quality at a much lower price.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

If you are Travis picking I’d suggest am OM or 000. If you look around you might find a used Collings or Santa Cruz within your budget. I have an 01 and a 000 both Sitka/Mahogany and both are great guitars perfect for fingerpicking.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 10-12-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
a $2500 guitar in a dorm room somewhat sounds like a bad idea to me. What if you get a used good guitar or lower model and get the $2500 when you move out of the dorms? I don't mean to be debby downer, but dorms are not a good place for valuable guitars. But I agree with the others about the Martin suggestions.

My thoughts, exactly. I bought a nice used D-28 while in college. Kept it at my Mom's house and bought a cheap but decent (used Yamaha) guitar for the apartment I shared.
Get something like one of those wide necked epiphones or a Seagull. Used Tacomas are good as well if you can find one.

Last edited by lt20dbl; 10-12-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:45 AM

https://emeraldguitars.com
Old 10-12-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
a $2500 guitar in a dorm room somewhat sounds like a bad idea to me. What if you get a used good guitar or lower model and get the $2500 when you move out of the dorms? I don't mean to be debby downer, but dorms are not a good place for valuable guitars. But I agree with the others about the Martin suggestions.
This is the first thing that popped into my head. Search the Guitar Center website for used D15's or 00015's for under $1K.

Buy the D28/D18 as a graduation gift and you will enter the working world with 2 great guitars that complement each other.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:48 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I would suggest a solid top/laminate back and sides guitar. Don't spend more than $400.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-12-2019, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

OP - if you are willing to give us your general location then perhaps a forum member could make a suggestion as to a possible store or stores that would be good to visit. If guitar center is your only option and it’s a decent one, then you should be able to try out most of the standard offerings from Martin , Gibson, Taylor, as well Yamaha. Just keep going back to try as many guitars as you can, as often as you can. And sometimes you might even find a used guitar that you might like ...for less.

Edit...if you are to follow the advice of those who suggest not to get an expensive guitar while living in a dorm, which is good advice, check out orangewood guitars. You can get an all solid wood guitar for a few hundred and they sound and play great, for what they are
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-12-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:08 AM

Nothing wrong with the LL series Yamaha guitars at all. If you’re determined to get something a little closer to your “dream” models, I’d recommend a Gibson J35 or J15, or a Martin DSS15m. Those are lifetime guitars that will save you considerable money from your max budget and not be as much a heartbreaker if a dorm “incident” occurs. Play as many as you can and have fun.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thinking back to my dorm days (late '80's) I know a nice guitar would have been a bad idea for me. You can get an awfully nice Alvarez,Yamaha etc and a nice used Martin/Gibson to keep at the parents. I would spend the money while you have it
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 10-12-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I totally agree with this. If it were me I would look at a used D15 or lower . Wait til after college to buy that nice guitar unless you have a safe place to keep it safe. For those who are suggesting a 2500 guitar.....LOL.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:21 AM

Default What Guitar Should I Buy?

In my college days, I had a relatively new at the time all laminate Sigma. My roommates all had similarly built guitars by Fender and Yamaha. All of our guitars survived college intact.

I wish I had a D-18 or D-28 instead of a Sigma.

Listening to some boom box recordings we made back in those days, I REALLY wish at least one of us had a tuner.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

Last edited by ChrisE; 10-14-2019 at 11:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion