The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2019, 01:48 PM

Default Martin Guitar questions

I'm currently looking at a used Martin DCPA4 Acoustic Electric Guitar as well as other Martin guitars like the Martin GPC11E. The DCPA4 is part of the Performing Artist series which is now being discontinued. My question is being that this guitar is being discontinued, will the guitar go up in value because there won't be as many out there. Or will there not be a market for them because they are discontinued.

There are several DCPA4's and GPCPA4's for sale in the used market right now.

I like the GPC11E and the DCPA4 equally, so please don't tell me go with the one I like the best. I know that.

Thanks for all responses!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:52 PM

It's probably being discontinued because it wasn't selling. It definitely won't go up in value. Martin makes 100,000 guitars a year. New Martins aren't rare at all, but most popular models do hold their value better than a lot of brands.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-10-2019, 02:06 PM

I wouldn't purchase any used guitar with the expectation that it would go up in value. More likely you can sell it for close to what you paid.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:11 PM

There is no appreciation scale in used acoustic instruments. You buy a guitar because you love it and want to keep it forever - even if that doesn't always happen. NEVER buy anything for future appreciated value that hasn't shown a trend over history for appreciation. Some of the best buys (low resale) are guitar's people bought thinking 1 of 50 or 1 of 100 meant something. Occasionally it happens but almost never. Guitars are discontinued to make room for other production.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:48 PM

I wouldn’t look at any new Martin as an investment - as has been pointed out, they make a lot of them and they need to keep selling more, so they will find some new way to get the pool of users to churn and buy more.

Scarcity and demand are what you need. As long as Martin is there responding to the demand, you’ll never have scarcity.

So, if you love it, buy it, but don’t buy it as an investment.

There are investment grade guitars, but they’re almost exclusively high quality vintage instruments from narrow bands of years. You can do very well in instrument speculation, but you need to know the market, how to evaluate instruments, and have a stomach for tying up a lot of capital in a pretty illiquid asset.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
I wouldn’t look at any new Martin as an investment - as has been pointed out, they make a lot of them and they need to keep selling more, so they will find some new way to get the pool of users to churn and buy more.

Scarcity and demand are what you need. As long as Martin is there responding to the demand, you’ll never have scarcity.

So, if you love it, buy it, but don’t buy it as an investment.

There are investment grade guitars, but they’re almost exclusively high quality vintage instruments from narrow bands of years. You can do very well in instrument speculation, but you need to know the market, how to evaluate instruments, and have a stomach for tying up a lot of capital in a pretty illiquid asset.
Well stated-
All things considered- I have a 10 year old Martin Jumbo that was discontinued. it’s one of 100- Its not worth more to anyone but me. It’s most likely my favorite guitar. Getvthe guitar you love because you love it. Maybe you can get a deal on the discontinued instrument...
Old 10-10-2019, 05:20 PM

My personal take on the Performing Artist series: they built a guitar with a Martin logo on the head stock, but made to look a lot like a Taylor GA that was poaching their sales. Meanwhile the Taylor folks are busy trying to build guitars that sound more Martin-esque or perhaps Gibson-esque.

Standard series Martin's generally hold their original value pretty well over time. You can generally sell it used for about what you paid years later, as the current line steadily inflates in price. That was the case with my 1990 built J-40 that sold used for the original purchase price (actually about $300 more) in 2016. I doubt (but have no direct experience) that the numerous PA models will do that 15 years down the road.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyco View Post
I'm currently looking at a used Martin DCPA4 Acoustic Electric Guitar as well as other Martin guitars like the Martin GPC11E. The DCPA4 is part of the Performing Artist series which is now being discontinued. My question is being that this guitar is being discontinued, will the guitar go up in value because there won't be as many out there. Or will there not be a market for them because they are discontinued.

I like the GPC11E and the DCPA4 equally, so please don't tell me go with the one I like the best. I know that.

These guitars are victims of the “numbers game” that is why they are being discontinued. Buy the one you like at the best price you can get and enjoy it. Forget the resale thing. Nobody knows a DCPA4 from the “man in the moon” and likely never will. Heck, whenI tell people I have D18 they usually say “uh huh, cool.”

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-10-2019, 05:44 PM

buying a guitar becasue you feel its an investment -is never a good idea
unless you really know the value of guitars and you have a long time to wait .
Bad idea . You should love a guitar to buy it -forget about it as an investment.
Honestly that model is common ( thou a good instrument )
Old 10-11-2019, 06:37 PM

I'll mention that I bought a GPCPA1+ at MAP pricing as it was a decent upgrade over my 000-C-16RGTE. At the time I thought I'd play out more and liked the sound at the dealer.

Shortly after purchase I found that I didn't care for the acoustic tone, and also decided not to play out as much. So I figured to sell for a minimal loss and move on.
Sadly, I knew nothing about better Martin's pricing at 60% of MSRP, which blew my thoughts of selling at the minimal loss out of the water.

Anyway, what I brought out of the situation is that there is a minimal resale market for the GPCPA. If you don't love it, go for a more mainstream model such as a 000-18.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 10-15-2019, 08:58 AM

The DCPA4 and the Road Series guitars are very similar...both have richlite fingerboards and solid tops and sides. I think the electronics in the DCPA4 is the Fishman Analog system which sounded better to me plugged in than the Sonitone in the Road series. So if plugged in sound is important, I would go with the DCPA4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyco View Post

Old 10-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-utim View Post
I wouldn't purchase any used guitar with the expectation that it would go up in value. More likely you can sell it for close to what you paid.
"Close" is the operative word. As others have said, guitars are generally depreciating assets, not investments....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-15-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
I'll mention that I bought a GPCPA1+ at MAP pricing as it was a decent upgrade over my 000-C-16RGTE. At the time I thought I'd play out more and liked the sound at the dealer.

Shortly after purchase I found that I didn't care for the acoustic tone, and also decided not to play out as much. So I figured to sell for a minimal loss and move on.
Sadly, I knew nothing about better Martin's pricing at 60% of MSRP, which blew my thoughts of selling at the minimal loss out of the water.

Anyway, what I brought out of the situation is that there is a minimal resale market for the GPCPA. If you don't love it, go for a more mainstream model such as a 000-18.
In a similar situation with another one their GP....models. I like it enough and won't move it at 60%.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

They made so many of them, it'll be 30 years before either of those Martin's go up in value and even then, when you factor in inflation, a lower-end Martin wouldn't represent an investment.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:04 AM

Guitars are very difficult to understand why some are worth more than others
their is no way to predict what in the future will be worth the bucks .
sometimes is rarity or a certain artist played that model- who knows really.
When i bought my Greven back in the 70's I was hopefull that it would be a better investment than the current year ( mid seventies Martin D-45 )
- D-45's went for about 1100 to 1200 dollars new and BR used ( Greven was close in price )
But actually the Martin is worth more than the Greven, hand made
with all the bells and whistles . i have no regrets on the decision i made
back then -thou If i could go back in time -i probably would of bought a
Brazilian D-45 . IMO the Greven is a way better guitar , but thats life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion