The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Default New Strings with a message.

Been experimenting with strings a bit. I found a set of Jim Dunlop PB lights which I've just fitted to my Collings 0002h.

Seem OK.

Inside the packet (probably old stock) was a little sheet od paper which reads :
"Blistered fingers, lack of sleep, beer stained clothes, No drink tickets (huh?) flat tyres, no soundcheck, no monitors, broken strings, deaf soundmen, smelly van, miles of boring highway, dead 9v batteries, lead singer's disease, lethal B.O., crashing on floors, 2 a.m. load-outs, fugly groupies, drummers(!) .... it's all worth it!"

Made me laugh! Brings back the memories, huh?
Old 09-16-2019, 11:58 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
lead singer's disease
Number one reason why I don't play in bands anymore!

Last edited by Guest 33123; 09-16-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Number one reason why I don't play bands anymore!
That's why I'm the singer in my bands
Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 AM

I can imagine seeing
that framed and hanging on the wall of a local guitar shop
Old 09-17-2019, 03:49 AM

I love things like this. Great marketing tool as it gets you to hold the manufacturer's labelling in your hand a little longer before discarding. More companies should make an effort to connect with their customers in this way.

Reminds me of a birthday card I once had that read on the back something like - 'No trees were needlessly cut down to make this card. It was made from crappy little bushes that even birds wouldn't sit in' .... at least I think it said 'sit in'

YouTube
Old 09-17-2019, 03:56 AM

What is lead singer's disease?

2014 Pono OP-10DC
2013 Martin 0015M
60's Harmony Stella
Old 09-17-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard man View Post
Something that, back in the day, would involve a discreet trip to the local Free Clinic
Old 09-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
https://xsrock.com/poll-rock-vocalis...ngers-disease/
Old 10-17-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
hahahaha! I actually didn't know this, but I do understand (even though I've mostly been the lead singer, at least since I stopped playing drums! - and, of course, I WAS the most important!
Old 10-17-2019, 02:25 PM

As for the “drink tickets,” some places will give the performers vouchers for food and drink. I’ve seen this mostly at the Alaska State Fair when I’ve played there. Depending on how long in a day you play you get one or two vouchers per diem.

At the State Fair the vouchers are good for food only, and are commonly referred to as “meal vouchers” or “meal tickets.”

I’ve worked in many bars where the performers got free drinks; some places will limit that to two drinks per person. I’ve never been issued drink vouchers, but have heard of larger venues doing that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Whoah! I thought everyone knew what LSD was. It's been the cause of me chosing to leave a group on more than one occasion.

A couple of signs of LSD are:

The guy who shows-up with a microphone in his hand after the gear has been hauled-in and set-up, hogs as much limelight as possible while on stage (yes, even more than us lead players), and disappears from the stage even before the last amp has been powered-down... nary to be found until well after the gear had been loaded-out (if at all). The lead singer who was instrumental in me quitting rock bands for a time to go solo acoustic, was also fond of showing-up to rehearsals 30-60 minutes late (only to immediately lecture those of us who'd been rehearsing on how certain songs should be played), not to mention the his tired phrase "when my old band toured New York". I always got a chuckle out of the last one, and would frequently respond with "ummmm... I've been performing on stage about as long as you've been alive". I've played with a lot of lead singers over the years and this guy was the worst. He also enjoyed improving some vocal lines to stretch a 2-chord song for about 15 minutes of soul-crushing tedium, but then allow a whopping 2 measures of lead solo development before jumping back in with more vocals. Do I sound bitter? LOL!

I've noticed a direct correlation between lead singers who also play other instruments... and the levels of humility. The more they identify with and appreciate instrumentalists, the less they put themselves above them.

To be fair, the lead singer is the face of a band (if he/she has any stage presence at all) and it takes a big amount of confidence to stand up there and deliver with an instrument (the voice) that is so susceptible to a variety of factors. Unfortunately, the confidence that often makes a truly great lead singer, often leads to an abnormally high amount of narcissism. It's a shame, because sharing the stage with someone who has real talent, charisma and can work a crowd well, can be a real thrill... until the drama and baggage throw a bucket of dirt on that fire.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:36 PM

A reminder of why I enjoy playing in worship groups and musical theater.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Guitar Gourmet

And you know what? The tension between the lead singer and lead guitarist was often the factor that defined a good band drove it on to success.

For example: "A song is defined as the space between when the lead vocalist's mouth is moving." "A song is defined as the space when the lead vocalist's mouth is moving." Etc.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-17-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Clever, Andrew. Pretty much sums up a decade or so of my life.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-17-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like the lyric to a classic hard rock song.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion