The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
I tested Edgar's question with a sample bridge pin from each of my guitars, and I can confirm that they all do indeed fit out the window. There's plenty of clearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
I'm not clear on what you mean. Did you test with a guitar with damage as shown in my drawing ?
Fit out the window ?
plenty of clearance ? Where.
This should make it clear:

https://xec.net/share/20191017_131837.mp4
Old 10-17-2019, 12:33 PM

https://youtu.be/V2f-MZ2HRHQ
Old 10-17-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No matter which side of the bridge pin debate you adhere to.....This is Funny! good one Dwasifar!
Old 10-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Beautiful setting out the window. But I'll bet that marsh makes for great mosquito conclaves. But those dry hands... you could use some Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Concentrated Hand Cream..
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Everyone can choose how deep they want to go down the setup rabbit hole.

Some people are content with just picking up the guitar and playing.

While others want to really figure out why some guitars play easier than others, and learn to adjust their own guitars to play this way too.

I am in the latter camp, and all of my instruments play perfectly for my tastes. But there are no rules written in stone somewhere about how things have to be.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Beautiful setting out the window. But I'll bet that marsh makes for great mosquito conclaves.
It's not actually a marsh. The house backs up to a pond, which extends around the side of the house to where it meets drainage that connects it to the pond across the road:

The HOA sprays for mosquitoes if things get bad. Usually we don't have much of a problem, except at twilight if there's no wind.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

FWIW - I have four Collings guitars, which were all supplied with ebony pins.

The pins are unslotted and pretty much drop in - i.e not very tight.
it is the string barrels putting pressure between the pin shaft and the bridgeplate that holds them firm.

Regarding the glue thing. A long time ago, I decided that I needed brass bridge pins on a matched pair of Daion guitars - a 6 and a 12.

Eighteen expensive pins and they were all too thin!

Dunno where I got the idea but I went to the local market and bought some ghastly coloured nail polish for £1.

I painted all the pins with it twice and abra-cadabra - they fitted. No longer have the guitars but still have the pins (brass and pink!)
Old 10-17-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Dunno where I got the idea but I went to the local market and bought some ghastly coloured nail polish for £1.

I painted all the pins with it twice and abra-cadabra - they fitted. No longer have the guitars but still have the pins (brass and pink!)
I think modifying the pins is a much better idea than modifying the bridge.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
For many people it may not be ‘a problem’. That’s fine, their guitar, their option.

For me, it’s a problem because it suggests that, in the case of a tapered pin in a straight-drilled hole (which is the scenario my post was addressing), the pin is ‘too small’, and the tendency to ‘wobble’ in the hole - i.e. to be pushed aside by the ball-end - which already exists, is exaggerated further. When the pin is pushed aside by the ball-end, there’s a danger that the ball-end will ‘creep’ into the hole and, over time, work its way up the hole, damaging the bridge-plate and, eventually necessitating an expensive repair.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
That makes a lot more sense.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 10-17-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
But those dry hands... you could use some Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Concentrated Hand Cream..
They're not actually as dry as that video made them look. The side-lighting from the window accentuated the texture, fingerprints, and forty-year-old scar from dropping a transmission on my hand. (Almost lost the fingertip that day. It was dangling, with bone visible.)
Old 10-17-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
They're not actually as dry as that video made them look. The side-lighting from the window accentuated the texture, fingerprints, and forty-year-old scar from dropping a transmission on my hand. (Almost lost the fingertip that day. It was dangling, with bone visible.)
When I watched the video mosquitos and the condition of your skin never entered my mind. Just sayin...
I don't think you need to make any apologies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion