The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 06:55 PM

Default Dedicated Nashville tuned guitar

Hi everyone, I've dabbled a little with Nashville tuning and have decided that I want to dedicate about $500 to getting a guitar that I can specifically set up and leave in that tuning.

What would be your recommendations? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:12 PM

Buy something that sounds good with normal strings with normal tuning.
That way if you grow tired of the High Strung sound you can go back to normal strings - also easier to sell it with normal strings if you decide to let it go.

I have one guitar with dedicated Nashville tuning.
I had a nut made for the thin strings but also had the luthier make me a new nut for normal strings in case I ever sell it.

I've tried D'Addario and Martin string sets but GHS CU-BBHT strings are my favorites.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-15-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
Hi everyone, I've dabbled a little with Nashville tuning and have decided that I want to dedicate about $500 to getting a guitar that I can specifically set up and leave in that tuning.

What would be your recommendations? Thanks!
I think all the usual recommendations as far as price vs. quality of build and resultant sound should be applicable to any guitar regardless of tuning.

If I were to keep a guitar around strictly in Nashville tuning I'd opt for something in the 00 or 0M size since you don't normally want focus on the lower resonance and want to concentrate on the shimmer.

I had a Taylor GS Mini mahogany that I really loved and although I never had it strung for Nashville tuning, it would have been GREAT for that! I'd definitely recommend the GS Mini for a dedicated Nashville-tuned guitar, and you could always return it to stock and play / sell if you no longer wanted to keep a guitar dedicated to the tuning.

Last edited by Rudy4; 10-15-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:18 PM

I'm currently doing that with a Recording King ROS-06. I guess that they don't make that model anymore, but something similar should do the job nicely.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:43 AM

I use my Recording King ROS-06 also for this!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:47 PM

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and ideas!!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:58 PM

A cedar-topped Seagull Folk model is what I would recommend:

Seagull Coastline S6 Folk Cedar

You can buy a new one for under $500, and it's a great-sounding little guitar. It sounds great in standard tuning with either light gauge or bluegrass gauge strings, so if you do decide to sell it at some future date, you should be able to easily enough.

Full disclosure: I do own one of these, which I bought used in Vancouver, British Columbia, and it's just a little jim dandy of a guitar. However, I have no commercial ties to Seagull or its parent company Godin. I just like their guitars.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-16-2019, 07:00 PM

A while back, I remember playing a used guitar at the local Sam Ash that was designed for only nashville tuning. It was a smaller body, super light and very lightly braced and sounded fantastic. It had a warning label inside not to use regular guage strings. I can't remember the brand, but it'll come to me.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
A while back, I remember playing a used guitar at the local Sam Ash that was designed for only nashville tuning. It was a smaller body, super light and very lightly braced and sounded fantastic. It had a warning label inside not to use regular guage strings. I can't remember the brand, but it'll come to me.
Wechter, perhaps?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 AM

I kept a Taylor Big Baby in Nashville tuning for a long time.
It was a fun sound but needed to be accompanied by another guitar to get a full sound.
Eventually sold the guitar due to lack of playing time with it.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:46 AM

I had one of those Wechter guitars that was designed for Nashville tuning. I didn't like it, I sold it. It felt kind of cheap.

But, I have an old Martin D-1 that doesn't quite compete with my newer guitars, but I've had that forever and would never part with it. So I made that be my Nashville dedicated guitar.

It sounds very nice that way.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:30 PM

The absolute best guitar for this is a Martin Terz. Gruhn had Martin make a batch of these buggers. I played one that was Nashville strung for a solid 30 minutes. A great guitarist was trying out a few instruments that day and stopped between guitars to tell me he loved what I was doing! Can't go wrong with a little Mississippi John Hurt.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:59 PM

I've been thinking of trying this with my Little Martin lxk2, but haven't yet ordered the strings. Would love to hear whether someone else has tried this. The D'Addario EJ38H Nashville strings might be a little light for that guitar because of its small scale, since it really wants medium strings.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:00 PM

I've been thinking about doing this with one of my guitars, a 1996 Taylor model 412K, which is more or less OM-sized. The guitar sounds very nice capo-ed up and has a bright tone to begin with, so I'm thinking the natural center frequency of this guitar might lend itself to Nashville Tuning.

Seems to me that the neck relief would need to be adjusted to accommodate the lighter strings, along with the new nut already mentioned...maybe saddle as well.

Now you've got me thinking about this again...
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion