The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default I don't mean...

I don't mean to offend anyone...but if it were me..I'd get a good "used" Takamine and a "used" Martin D-18...you should be able to find both for $2500....
Old 10-13-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone...but if it were me..I'd get a good "used" Takamine and a "used" Martin D-18...you should be able to find both for $2500....
I was going to say why does he need two guitars but then I looked at your list.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_J- View Post
Nashville, TN
You are in the heart of guitar town with some of the best music stores around

Gruyn, Cater’s, corner music, all great stores with knowledgeable staff.
Also Furch Guitars USA is now located in Nashville. Look them and check out their guitars. As you can see from my signature, I’m a fan
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-14-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for all the replies. Hmm I'm not sure if y'all can see my reply if I don't respond to a specific person. After thinking it over and over this morning, I don't think my dorm room can safe enough for a 2.5k guitar. I don't party, and I never drink. But still the risk is just too much. I live in Nashville. I've been lurking on here for a good year before finally joining, so I'm aware of the stores in Nashville that people recommend, but I'm not aware of any that is willing to cut deals. I just play the guitar to myself and sometimes perform with just myself and the guitar (just like my favorite artists did). So yeah I might get a Yamaha, which one has a narrow neck?
Nashville also usually has a pretty robust used guitar section on Craigslist. I got my '53 Martin 00-18 that had been rode hard and put away wet but sounds and plays great off Nashville Craigslist. Take your time, look at lots of options, then when one speaks to you grab it and don't let go!
Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
My thoughts, exactly. I bought a nice used D-28 while in college. Kept it at my Mom's house and bought a cheap but decent (used Yamaha) guitar for the apartment I shared.
Get something like one of those wide necked epiphones or a Seagull. Used Tacomas are good as well if you can find one.
Do the above. I have been a locksmith at a fairly large university for 10 years. Have never seen an expensive guitar in the dorms and for good reason. You can get the Martin and a good beater for that budget. Save the martin at home base for the holidays and the future.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
You are in the heart of guitar town with some of the best music stores around

Gruyn, Cater’s, corner music, all great stores with knowledgeable staff.
Also Furch Guitars USA is now located in Nashville. Look them and check out their guitars. As you can see from my signature, I’m a fan
I'm thinking about seriously trying to buy at one these place someday just to see how it goes with bargaining. Nashville is convenient for me as well.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

If you do end up looking at new Martin guitars do yourself a favor and email for a quote from Maury's, Reno's or My Favorite Guitars. You'll find the price they send you to be MUCH better than the price listed at Guitar Center for the same guitar.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for all the replies. Hmm I'm not sure if y'all can see my reply if I don't respond to a specific person. After thinking it over and over this morning, I don't think my dorm room can safe enough for a 2.5k guitar. I don't party, and I never drink. But still the risk is just too much. I live in Nashville. I've been lurking on here for a good year before finally joining, so I'm aware of the stores in Nashville that people recommend, but I'm not aware of any that is willing to cut deals. I just play the guitar to myself and sometimes perform with just myself and the guitar (just like my favorite artists did). So yeah I might get a Yamaha, which one has a narrow neck?
This was my thought: an expensive guitar in a dorm room? Sounds like a bad idea. I would hit up the local music stores and play a bunch of used guitars in a comfortable range and buy the one that spoke to me.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
I'm thinking about seriously trying to buy at one these place someday just to see how it goes with bargaining. Nashville is convenient for me as well.
I would think you could get a better deal from the AGF sponsors, especially with Martin’s. But it can’t hurt to ask. And you might find a sweet deal on an older/vintage players grade guitar.

If I were in Nasheville I would check out the Furch showroom. Their prices on new guitars, for now, are very competitive. In some cases 1/2 of what some of the American brands list their high end models for.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-20-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:14 AM

If i could only have one guitar , and i was strapped for cash
it would be a new Martin D-18
basically a bit more than a cheaper guitar -
but about as good as it gets ( for the money )

It will take about a year to break it in -
but in my opinion -Thats the fun part !
Old 10-17-2019, 11:31 AM

I would never have an expensive guitar staying in a dorm room. Too many memories of stolen items, ransacked storage boxes, and "guests" with no sense to make that sound like a good decision to me. Sorry.

I would buy and keep a decent guitar for sure, though. The HPL Martins are really good (had 2 of them). However, I think the Fender DG-8S Nat is the best deal going right now for $169.99. A solid spruce top, scalloped braces, mahogany back and sides, tuner, picks, gig bag, instructional link, and an extra set of strings are part of it.

I had one for about 12 years and have given several away as gifts. They just keep sounding better and are beautiful guitars. Spend another $75-$100 on a lockable hard case to help keep it from walking off. Put a bike security cable through the handle to help.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Dreadn...s%2C165&sr=8-1

Good luck. School's tough enough without worrying about a $2500 guitar getting destroyed or stolen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion