The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2020, 07:36 PM

$2999. And no Taylor Hardcase. That’s a deal breaker for me.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:51 PM

Pretty guitar. Nice sound for a small bodied instrument. Not sure they could get $3,000 from me for one.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Is this a joke?

And seriously, why do so many people keep comparing this to the GSM? Its 15" like the GC - a full sized guitar!
Old 12-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

I'm honestly pretty impressed with the thing. Great little guitar for chord melody. It recorded nicely, too -

Old 12-23-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
Yes I did, but I was excited about the one I did play and I did not think of that in my post, to mention the one I played was A1 tight. Very disappointing to see Taylor let that other one clear QC protocol.
If there’s one...there are many more, especially given the sheer number of guitars that the Taylor factory pumps out per day. There comes a time in practically every manufacturers life when things like QC start to slip when new pressures to create, fabricate & produce come into play. I hope Taylor will correct issues with the AD line, and tighten things back up to the standard that they have been known for...and do it quickly.

That said, I really want a GT811e. Can somebody lend me $3000?
Old 12-25-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
A new Taylor GT model in the 800 series.

Are you guys kidding me!!!? Taylor is killing me. No Andy. Andy is killing me. One guitar addition at a confusing time. I remember when I knew what guitars Taylor had out, what the tops were and what the B&S was made of....Now? I couldn’t tell you if you paid me. I A/B’d a GT an a GS mini at guitar center and the GT was not great at all. As a matter of fact the GS Mini sounded way better. But mainly because of what you were getting for the price.

Just bought a 912 because it was the best deal I had ever seen in my life on that guitar. But also because it’s a small body with no cutaway and no pickup. And Taylor has seriously the worst pickups in the game.

But then I find out the GT Body size will be coming out in different numbers. Gosh.

I do not love this price point though. My brand Jew 912 came in only a few hundred more than this. So that price is just not going to get me to take it home.

Would love to see a GT 511 (???) or a GT 711 (???) though.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
This is a great guitar. Tried it out a couple of times. The only V brace guitar I would risk buying. Waiting to see what they do with the 12 string lineup before I consider giving it a go. Their reluctance with addressing the 12 string lineup gives me trust issues and I am a huge Taylor fan, so I will wait.

That said, the AD12E guitar is insane. Solid Macassar Ebony back and sides, solid top, ebony board and bridge, 24.5 scale length. A very very nice guitar for 1999.00. Crazy deal.
Same... but I am waiting for them to take their pick up system out of it. Will never buy a taylor with the ES piezo again. They can’t be married to that tech because they think it sounds the best. It’s just the 💰
Old 12-25-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniO View Post
Same... but I am waiting for them to take their pick up system out of it. Will never buy a taylor with the ES piezo again. They can’t be married to that tech because they think it sounds the best. It’s just the 💰
I would like to see a pic of your 912! I haven't seen one that doesn't have a cutaway or electronics.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-26-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
Are folks that uncomfortable with a proper sized guitar?
To quote The Dude: "That's just like your opinion man"

I dislike giant guitars immensely. Unless you're spending a lot of time playing unamplified with banjos, basses, and other loud instruments there is no earthly reason you need a ginormous, ugly, and boomy dread or jumbo that takes up lots of space, is uncomfortable to play seated, and is way too bassy.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:28 PM

New Taylor GT 811e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ
Are folks that uncomfortable with a proper sized guitar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post

I dislike giant guitars immensely. Unless you're spending a lot of time playing unamplified with banjos, basses, and other loud instruments there is no earthly reason you need a ginormous, ugly, and boomy dread or jumbo that takes up lots of space, is uncomfortable to play seated, and is way too bassy.

> I dislike giant guitars immensely.

> Unless you're spending a lot of time playing unamplified with banjos, basses, and other loud instruments there is no earthly reason you need a ginormous, ugly, and boomy dread or jumbo that takes up lots of space, is uncomfortable to play seated, and is way too bassy.

> ginormus

"It's in the way that you use it" - Eric Clapton

> ugly

The jumbo shape and overall build, especially of the Gibson J-200 variety, is one of the most iconic and recognizable in the guitar world. And they are beautiful looking instruments.

> boomy dread or jumbo

Don't have any dreads, so only speaking for jumboes from here on out, but I find the jumbo shape produces a very well-balanced sound. And that Includes my rosewood Taylor Grand Orchestra (a reworking of and a replacement for their discontinued Jumbo). I use Elixir PB HD Lights (.013 - '053) on them and any boominess is not very noticeable, if indeed present at all.

> that takes up lots of space

There's only a 1" difference in the lower bout of a 17" jumbo and a 16" Grand Auditorium or similar model. There's not a lot of difference in the area of the footprint of one of these whether laid flat or standing upright or hanging on the wall. And not all jumbo shaped guitars have that 17" bout either. And many are less than 17" wide and 5" deep.

> is uncomfortable to play seated

One of the features of a jumbo is the relatively narrow waist. Makes for a nice reverse U shape to lay on your left or right leg that has no slip/slide to it either. And a Gibson J-200 only measures about 4" from that external point resting on your leg to the edge of the soundhole. It actually sits low on your lap and is very easy to play.

> way too bassy

OK there's something fishy with this. I think it's that 'bassy' is not a word found in a dictionary, so I will presume it refers to the sound of a guitar and not to a freshwater fish.
My jumboes have decent bass but do not dominate the sounds of any of my guitars, but blend in very nicely with their fellow strings. Remember that Elixir PB HD gauge I mentioned? Medium treble strings combined with Light bass strings. Smooth. And it doesn't hurt that I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

And I'm not sure what so-called "giant" guitars have anything to do with a thread on a Taylor GT 811e, especially without making guitar comparisons.

Just for informational purposes, I am an average size guy and don't have any problems playing larger guitars.

So to sum up, to each his own.

De gustibus non disputandum.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 12-26-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I would like to see a pic of your 912! I haven't seen one that doesn't have a cutaway or electronics.
Thank you for asking to see it! It took me almost 4 years of looking to find a Taylor with no cutaway, paddle head stock, GC body and no electronics. Everyone I talked to wanted to BTO or custom the guitar. I found out recently from John at Alamo that what I actually needed was a “modified model program” build. Right before starting that with them, Marcus at Best In Sound out in Oregon listed this on Reverb. It was leftover stock from a Taylor roadshow back in 2019. I am not good at sharing pics here. will a link to my Dropbox folder work? Let’s try...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xofvdtel5z..._6197.JPG?dl=0
Old 12-30-2020, 02:10 AM

Default 3k is bananas

Played the GT and the GTe.. Nice guitar but in my opinion overpriced by at lest 500 bucks. 3k for the GT 811E is egregious.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD PITTS View Post
Played the GT and the GTe.. Nice guitar but in my opinion overpriced by at lest 500 bucks. 3k for the GT 811E is egregious.
Agree. I have the GTe, and it is growing on me. I like the Ash wood, and its size. I might even love it, as I love my Dred-jr, if it were in the same price range. I understand the “Made in USA” sticker cost....
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-07-2021, 01:38 PM

The Taylor GT811e will be my next guitar.
I believe Taylor has hit another home run with this guitar. Saving by pennies now.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:10 AM

I notice there are 3 screws at the bridge. Anyone know what are these screw for?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion