The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Default Musings on learnin to play my D-02

So this is just my little tale, really not going anywhere with this, just thought you all might be able to relate or offer some advice :-)

I recently upgraded from my Alvarez Regent to a real life Larrivee D-02 that I bought from a local dealer. Had it exactly a month now and I've been making a lot of headway, mostly just learning scales and working on songs for worship at my church. Well, this weekend I tried playing a song I used to play all the time on the Alvarez, and when I tried it on the Larry, I had a lot of trouble reaching some of the notes. This troubled me, because up to that point I had had no trouble with the new guitar. Suddenly, I began to stress out that I had bought the wrong one after all, and it was too big, or what have you.

Well, it took some thinking, but I realized that yes, the Alvarez is smaller. To this point, I've just played stuff in first position on the Larry. So obviously, there will be a learning curve when I start reaching past that. Anyway, I spent the rest of this afternoon working and working up the fret. And what do you know, it's getting easier.

Anyways, new guitars are funny in the way that they stretch you. I wouldn't trade my D-02 for anything right now though, it's tone sounds so good to my ears and it really is a blast to play.

THANKS for reading. Anyone experience similar issues with a new guitar?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion