The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM

Default Ng(gas)d

I own a Martin 000-18 that I've had for about 30 years now, a newer D28, and a Taylor 810 from the mid-90s. I finally got a chance to play my first Collings, Santa Cruz, and Froggy Bottom on Saturday. In my life I've played literally hundreds of Martins and Guilds (worked for Guild in the 80s and was a repair person for about 5 years in the Northeast before that. I haven't been involved in the business since then though). Anyway, I was quite impressed with these new (to me) brands. All three of them seemed to "sing" or "ring" with a deeper three dimensional quality than what I own or have played (although I remember some great old Martins and Gibsons back when I was a repair guy). I now officially have gas. The one that really floored me was the parlor Froggy Bottom I tried. Really, really nice. I never played such a full toned parlor before. I also really dug the Santa Cruz. Very sweet and intimate (an OM). The Collings was a dread and was very loud and articulate. Maybe not what I am looking for but quite impressive.

Anyway, just thought I'd report on what I found, as it was this forum that put the notion in my head to start looking around at what is now available. I'd like to get excited about a new guitar. Maybe I'd start playing a lot again. I can't stop thinking about these instruments. Time for some Rolaids!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:43 PM

Never had the chance to play a Froggy, but the first time I got my hands on a couple of Collings, Santa Cruz's and Bourgeois guitar they floored me.

Alas, I have a Sam Adams taste but a PBR budget. These smaller builders really do make some incredible guitars, don't they? Good luck on finding the right one for you.

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion