The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Default strings for Alvarez?

Hey everyone, sorry if this is a duplicate post. I thought I posted earlier but then didn't see my post anywhere. I'm guessing I must have hit the wrong button
Anyways, I have an Alvarez AD410. Can I safely use Martin medium strings on it? I like the feel of mediums much better than lights, but wasn't sure if they would hurt my guitar. I googled it, but couldn't find a definitive answer....so thought I'd ask all you guitar experts.
Thanks,
Christen

Alvarez AD-410 "Tranquilidad"

Ibanez M522SBS F-style mandolin

My Soundcloud Profile

My Bandcamp Profile

Behind the Feather Curtain (personal blog)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_junkie View Post
Hey everyone, sorry if this is a duplicate post. I thought I posted earlier but then didn't see my post anywhere. I'm guessing I must have hit the wrong button
Anyways, I have an Alvarez AD410. Can I safely use Martin medium strings on it? I like the feel of mediums much better than lights, but wasn't sure if they would hurt my guitar. I googled it, but couldn't find a definitive answer....so thought I'd ask all you guitar experts.
Thanks,
Christen
Oh, it's totally safe!

If your guitar was used to lights, and you're thinking of going up to mediums, you might need to tweak the neck (truss rod) a bit to account for the increased tension.

If you're unsure how to do this, or if it sounds scary to you, take it to a local tech/luthier and they can show you how to properly adjust your truss rod for such things.

Happy playing!
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 PM

Thanks skatalite!! I was pretty sure it was okay, but thought I should check. Thanks again!

Alvarez AD-410 "Tranquilidad"

Ibanez M522SBS F-style mandolin

My Soundcloud Profile

My Bandcamp Profile

Behind the Feather Curtain (personal blog)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 PM

Default If in doubt

You can always use a set of medium-light strings, such as the Martin SP4150. This strings would sound good on your guitar.

If the guitar is new and needs breaking-in, then I think Mediums might be a good choice. They will give the soundboard a good shake, which new guitars need.

I like Martin medium phosphor bronze - either SP or plain, but other posters will probably come forward with different suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion