The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 AM

Default Neck question.

I am getting ideas for future reference and one of the most important criteria is neck size. Nutt width is not as critical to me as the profile or thickness of the neck.

One of the measurements I see occasionally is neck radius. There seems to be quite a lot of variance where this is listed. Is this a standard type measurement? What does it mean? sure would be handy if all suppliers gave more info on neck profiles!

It is hard for me to find an opportunity to demo all of the interesting stuff out there and it would help eliminate some of the instruments if I could determine if the neck is unsuitable from specs.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 AM

its the curvature of the fretboard. A 9" radius would place the center of the curve 9 inches behind the face of the fretboard "off in space" so to speak. A larger number means a flatter fretboard.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 AM

The only radius specifications I recall seeing regarding necks are the ones specifying the extent to which the fretboard is curved.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 AM

Here is an illustration that shows what Herb and Humulus described above:

Regarding the rest of the neck profile, you'll find it varies widely between models and manufacturers.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 06-02-2011, 07:32 AM

Default That makes sense.

Smaller radius=more curve in fretboard.

Thx

LT
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt131 View Post
...I am getting ideas for future reference and one of the most important criteria is neck size. Nutt width is not as critical to me as the profile or thickness of the neck.
...One of the measurements I see occasionally is neck radius. There seems to be quite a lot of variance where this is listed. Is this a standard type measurement? What does it mean? sure would be handy if all suppliers gave more info on neck profiles!
...It is hard for me to find an opportunity to demo all of the interesting stuff out there and it would help eliminate some of the instruments if I could determine if the neck is unsuitable from specs.
Hi lt131…
Opportunities come from knowing standard sizes for brands and going to a venue or store where they exist and can be tried side-by-side.

Healdsburg Guitar Festival, Montreal Festival, Newport (in Miami last couple of times), Swannanoa camps etc all offer opportunities to experience a lot of variations.

I first visited Healdsburg in 2005, and it was mind blowing to be in a place with over 100 luthiers and over 600-700 handbuilt instruments, and be allowed to talk with builders and try out guitars. I really had a ball!

Went back in 2009 and plan to return if everything falls into place in 2013. In the meantime, I've played every combination of manufactured neck I can find, and via guitar gatherings have played many custom necks.

Radius is not as critical to my style, nor is depth. Width at the nut and saddle are. I like 'space' or 'room' to work, and room to pull off full-step bends.

I have often played other folk's guitars, and asked about their customized nut widths, string spacing etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion