The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Radial Tone bone PZ or?

I am shopping for a good unit to blend my K & K pickup with my mini flex 2 mic. What other options are out there?
Old 07-31-2017, 03:20 PM

The PZ is a great preamp (I use the PZ Deluxe) but it's not really intended as a dual source blender. It has more than one input but that's intended to allow you more than one instrument.

Also, the PZ is designed for ultra-high impedance piezos (a passive pickup, like the LB6 or Fishman AG series) and the K&K runs on the low end of high-impedance and may not sound the best w/the PZ Deluxe. It might work fine, but its PZB buffer circuit is intended to either drop the gain and impedance for something active (like a Baggs Element) or boost the gain and impedance for something passive (like the LB6). It's a remarkable preamp but it's not a mixer and it's probably not the best fit for the K&K. The impedance mismatch might make the K&K sound muddy, but perhaps someone here has tried it and made it work. A little EQ can go a long way, afterall.

If you want a mixing preamp, K&K has several of their own, and the Headway EDB-2 has a dual source mixing capability AND adjustable impedance for whatever your source is. It's about $365 but the next preamp that compares is probably the Grace Felix which is around a $1000.

I'd recommend seeing what K&K offers.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 07-31-2017, 08:58 PM

If you've got the scratch, and want the blender in pedal-form, this would be the device of choice:

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/felix/felix.htm

Louis
Old 07-31-2017, 09:28 PM

Zoom A3 would be a good blender option if you want digital effects.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 AM

I'm also using miniflex 2 mic (model 7), with sunrise pickup, I have Grace Felix for them & very satisfied!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
The PZ is a great preamp (I use the PZ Deluxe) but it's not really intended as a dual source blender. It has more than one input but that's intended to allow you more than one instrument.

Also, the PZ is designed for ultra-high impedance piezos (a passive pickup, like the LB6 or Fishman AG series) and the K&K runs on the low end of high-impedance and may not sound the best w/the PZ Deluxe. It might work fine, but its PZB buffer circuit is intended to either drop the gain and impedance for something active (like a Baggs Element) or boost the gain and impedance for something passive (like the LB6). It's a remarkable preamp but it's not a mixer and it's probably not the best fit for the K&K. The impedance mismatch might make the K&K sound muddy, but perhaps someone here has tried it and made it work. A little EQ can go a long way, afterall.

If you want a mixing preamp, K&K has several of their own, and the Headway EDB-2 has a dual source mixing capability AND adjustable impedance for whatever your source is. It's about $365 but the next preamp that compares is probably the Grace Felix which is around a $1000.

I'd recommend seeing what K&K offers.
Thanks a lot. I didn't really know that it wasn't a blender
Old 08-01-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
If you've got the scratch, and want the blender in pedal-form, this would be the device of choice:

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/felix/felix.htm

Louis
That looks very cool. but yes. Pricy!!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 AM

I blend my fishman ust with my 2 mic using a dtar solstice. You can usually pick one up for not too much more than a pz if you watch the used market. I like it because I have the option to blend at the preamp or send 2 separate signals if I have the channel count at the gig. Also lots of cool insert configurations possible and a very musical eq. If you have a miniflex model 4 the solstice also provides the phantom power required to not have an inline battery pack.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 AM

thanks for all your help everyone. The K & K quantum blender and the headway look pretty good. Yes it looks like the grace felix is the cadillac. but pricy!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAndDry View Post
Thanks a lot. I didn't really know that it wasn't a blender
Just to clarify: the PZ-Pre can work as a blender (it has a switch that either allows switching between the two channels or for blending the two). The drawbacks are lack of phantom power for condenser mics and the fact that it has a single, global EQ section--so you can't EQ differently each channel separately.

Louis
Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Just to clarify: the PZ-Pre can work as a blender (it has a switch that either allows switching between the two channels or for blending the two). The drawbacks are lack of phantom power for condenser mics and the fact that it has a single, global EQ section--so you can't EQ differently each channel separately.

Louis
Ok thank you. global eq. ya that is less than ideal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification