The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-24-2024, 05:53 AM

Default Dual Electro-Voice Evolve 50Ms vs 50M + 50

I have an evolve 50M with the mixer, it has enough inputs for what I need. Sometimes I’m wanting a second unit for coverage. I know 2 x 50Ms link together and turn into a two channel system with extra inputs/linked volume/etc.

Since I don’t need the second mixer expansion I was thinking about just getting the cheaper “non-M” 50 and run it off the 50M. Is there any reason why two 50Ms would be better than a 50M+50 other than having to match the gain levels (plus only being able to control one via Bluetooth)?
Old 04-24-2024, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntp View Post
I have an evolve 50M with the mixer, it has enough inputs for what I need. Sometimes I’m wanting a second unit for coverage. I know 2 x 50Ms link together and turn into a two channel system with extra inputs/linked volume/etc.

Since I don’t need the second mixer expansion I was thinking about just getting the cheaper “non-M” 50 and run it off the 50M. Is there any reason why two 50Ms would be better than a 50M+50 other than having to match the gain levels (plus only being able to control one via Bluetooth)?
I'm a 30m guy and other than what you mention--and the possible later regret of not having dual 50m linkability and controllability--I can't think of any.

Incidentally I didn't realize this, but I launched my Quicksmart app in Demo mode and see that the 50 also has its (very simple) controls available via Bluetooth. I guess I don't see any advantage in using that for your application since you'd be setting the 50 at some useful baseline volume and fine-tuning it via, for example, the 50m's Aux-out.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I'm a 30m guy and other than what you mention--and the possible later regret of not having dual 50m linkability and controllability--I can't think of any.

Incidentally I didn't realize this, but I launched my Quicksmart app in Demo mode and see that the 50 also has its (very simple) controls available via Bluetooth. I guess I don't see any advantage in using that for your application since you'd be setting the 50 at some useful baseline volume and fine-tuning it via, for example, the 50m's Aux-out.
Cool - sometimes I also want to try a 2 x 30M since I don't really need high volume but rather spread but I already bought the 50 (and often play with drums so its good to have some headroom if needed).
Old 04-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

For me the added versatility of the 50m would be worth a few extra bucks—just in case you needed them down the road—such as the added channels via linking.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
For me the added versatility of the 50m would be worth a few extra bucks—just in case you needed them down the road—such as the added channels via linking.
I agree. The mixers work together really well, with mixer inputs each side of the stage. You don’t need it now, but you might someday, and in the meantime, there is no extra gear to lug around or store.

Last edited by lkingston; 04-26-2024 at 08:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification