The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2016, 03:47 PM

just play at home and while I started out on acoustics I went to electrics a few years after. I can honestly say I truly love them both and play them both probably equal time.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanleyJ View Post
Wow! I guess this is hitting pretty close to home for a lot of us. My dilemma is that I have this great 1968 Gibson 335 that I love dearly. My only electric. I started out on acoustic and have always been either acoustic or pedal steel electric but only the second electric guitar player in bands if needed. Now that I'm getting older and my band days are behind me I still play the 335 but most of the time I don't even plug it in! The kicker is that I play most all acoustic these days but I don't have a great high end acoustic to play. I have an early 80's Morris that is adequate at best. If I sell the 335 I could get a pretty decent acoustic guitar. But I just can't quite turn loose of the 335 just yet even though it does not get much playing time and somebody who really knows how to play like Larry Carlton could get a fantastic guitar instead of me letting it sit with little playing time on it. But then, there's that sellers remorse thing, too. I've been wrestling with this for some time and probably will for some time to come, still.
I was thinking of selling my Tele, then I got it out last week and just couldn't do it.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:54 PM

I did. Played electric almost exclusively for maybe 15 years. Any acoustic playing I did was really electric in style and technique, only played on an acoustic guitar. About 5 years ago I become bored with electric and, surely as a result, became obsessed with acoustic fingerstyle. These days I rarely touch the only electric I didn't sell, a great sounding strat I assembled from old and custom parts. Haven't really touched a pick during period either. I'll circle back in time, I'd imagine, but these days alternative tunings and all the crazy little techniques and nuances inherent to acoustic fingerstyle have me hooked. Re-sparked my love for the instrument, truthfully. It's a totally different approach. I'm actually pretty curious to hear how this translates to electric improv. Hmmm..
Old 02-15-2016, 04:12 PM

90% of my playing is acoustic but I do like to pick up my trusty Strat and have a bit of fun. I still love the feel of the electric, the ease of playing and the beautiful colors you can create. I don't think I could ever completely give up electric and I don't think you have to either.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:18 PM

From time to time I'll pick up an electric, but always go back to acoustic. Beautiful sounds can be coaxed from electrics, I know. But the acoustic is the one that gives me goose bumps. Just did restring the Gib today, how I love that sound.

1999 Gibson Dove
1996 Guild A25-NT-HR
1966 Fender Coronado I mod
Old 02-15-2016, 04:54 PM

Default It was time

I enjoyed my electrics and would pickup my acoustic to work ideas on, then I got my first good acoustic and never looked back. Still like electric but having fun on my acoustics.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:07 PM

Blue, my experiance is very similar to yours. At 64 I just enjoy the acoustic better and really have to make myself play my Tele.
It's kind of like the archery discussion of compounds vs recurves/longbows. A lot of people would argue that a stick bow is just more fun to practice with than a compound.
Froggy Bottom: P-12
Martin CS 000-28 VTS
Walkabout Dulcimer
Fender: Select HH Tele
Old 02-16-2016, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Oh, you betcha! I do still have my electrics and play at home for fun, but gigging? Those days are over - bands, load-ins (a ton of stuff), sound checks, ear shattering SPL gigs, load outs at 3 AM and 3 degrees (a ton of stuff) and a paltry pay check. And I didn't even mention the rehearsals where someone is always late, someone always has to leave early, someone is not prepared and someone else's girlfriend wants to sing - Oh yeah, gimme some more o' that!

Now it's an L1C, an acoustic guitar and a couple of mics. Easy in, easy out and the pay is better. Usually home in time for the late news.
+1 on that. I have enough to do without having to wrangle my schedule around four other people.

As far as the electric vs. acoustic thing, the electric just doesn't lend itself easily to what I do these days.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post

Now it's an L1C, an acoustic guitar and a couple of mics. Easy in, easy out and the pay is better. Usually home in time for the late news.
Uhhhh, what's an "L1C"? Sounds like an IRS tax form....
Old 02-19-2016, 11:54 AM

Almost since the beginning I have had both electric and acoustic steel string guitars. There may be an ebb and flow between them but I plan to always play both. The only real change is about 6 years ago, I bought my first nylon string and that has rocked my music world considerably. So really I think of it as three things; electric, acoustic steel and acoustic nylon. There is a lot of goodness in all three if I can just figure out how to find it. Not stopping now.

hunter
Old 02-19-2016, 06:13 PM

It took a while but I accepted the fact I'd never be a rock star. Sacrificed (and I mean sacrificed!!) my Rickenbacker 12 string and my Les Paul Standard for a Martin D41 and HD 28. Ou sont les neiges?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:32 PM

Yes...a number of times.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:23 AM

Started playing acoustic, went electric after 5 years and added bass at the same time.

Have a minor in music, and took classical guitar in college, so I consider myself an equal opportunity guitar player.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:41 AM

Yes, Started on a new 65 Fender mustang, also later on had a 59 Fender Esquire, then a new 76 Gibson Cherry Sunburst Les Paul, (unfortunately stolen) bought a Guild solid body electric with 2 humbuckers with insurance money, did not play it for 10 years and sold it, Have played acoustic ever since.

Snark Tuner
Old 02-20-2016, 02:49 AM

Default hello

hi
this is wow

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion