The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2022, 06:58 AM

Default "Blotchy" finish on new Yamaha FG5?

So I bought a Yamaha FG5 and the finish seems to be turning blotchy. I got it in on Friday (5 days ago). I definitely didn't notice this when it arrived. I did play it outdoors for a few hours over the weekend (~80 degrees with a cool wind and in the shade the entire time). Is this normal? Did I mess something up??

I absolutely love the guitar and this really doesn't bother me.. hell, I think it looks kind of cool. I'd still like to know if this is normal, will it eventually even out, etc. Is it worth submitting a warranty claim over if not?

Old 03-29-2022, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

This entire series has had consistent finish issues. I've had 3s and 5s and all had the same thing - it is cloudy looking, looks almost sanded and unbuffed in spots. I hadn't experienced it getting worse, exactly, but I wonder if you just hadn't seen it in the right light at first and upon closer inspection noticed it, or maybe the environment exacerbated it.

I think those play and sound great, but was really bummed about consistent finish issues in the ones I had and talking to multiple dealers, they had seen that same thing consistently, so it wasn't just my bad luck, it's something they are doing or using that is causing the issue to persist.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
This entire series has had consistent finish issues. I've had 3s and 5s and all had the same thing - it is cloudy looking, looks almost sanded and unbuffed in spots. I hadn't experienced it getting worse, exactly, but I wonder if you just hadn't seen it in the right light at first and upon closer inspection noticed it, or maybe the environment exacerbated it.

I think those play and sound great, but was really bummed about consistent finish issues in the ones I had and talking to multiple dealers, they had seen that same thing consistently, so it wasn't just my bad luck, it's something they are doing or using that is causing the issue to persist.
Thanks, that's really helpful. I guess I'm going to live with it and write it off as "character". The guitar is amazing otherwise.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:02 PM

I take it that since you love the guitar it's a keeper. If so, I wouldn't return a guitar that is very difficult to find and that may take months to get replaced only to realize that it may not sound as nice as this one.0

I would contact the retailer with your concern. They may offer some sort of price reduction. I wouldn't let it go if you think it's a keeper though.

... and Congrats on the FG5! One of the top guitars on my lists that I want to try out... but they are never in stock.

Edit: the finish on the FG5 is semi-gloss so that may be contributing to the looks of the top.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerHunterX View Post
Thanks, that's really helpful. I guess I'm going to live with it and write it off as "character". The guitar is amazing otherwise.
Good choice!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-29-2022, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Thinking out loud I’m wondering if the ARE treatment might have something to do with the obsorbtion of toner into the more hardened/cured wood grain
Old 03-30-2022, 01:01 AM

Smile

I own probably the first batch of the Yamaha FS5 Red Label guitars. My guitar thankfully has no such finish issues. From my reading and understanding, these guitars are first glossed up and then sanded using those round machine sanders. Semi-glossed has become my favourite finish, very similar to Taylor's Silent Satin for their Builders' Edition guitars.

Since they are made (assembled) in Japan, I'm guessing that these guitars are the lower or cheaper end MIJ Yamaha guitars, compared to the 26, 36 and 56 series. So maybe due to lack of manpower, the workers (luthiers) there put less priority in these Red Label series. Usually, the first batch of mass produced guitars are the best in terms of workmanship.

Like the OP said, as long as it sounds great, just take it as part of its character.

My NGD link is attached if you're keen to read it.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547877
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:51 AM

My FGX5 looks like that and honestly I’ve not given it a second thought. I figured it was supposed to look like that. I’m pretty anal about the condition of something when I buy it and although mine was slightly used, I didn’t think a thing about it. I love the guitar. I actually like that look. It looks aged and I have a feeling that’s what they were aiming for.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion