The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2018, 08:38 PM

LOVE my 2013 D2H!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:55 PM

I own a Bourgeois Aged Tone Vintage D; I have played several other Bourgeois guitars and 2 Collings D2s. I strongly prefer the Bourgeois.

The two Collings that I have played have both been a little stiff in terms of playability and tone. They just seem tight, where the Bourgeois seem simultaneously resonant and focused, clear and clean.

I have often said that my Bourgeois is the perfect guitar for modern flatpicking (defined as the rolling, crosspicking heavy style of bluegrass playing where lead and rhythm are melded). My Bourgeois in particular is very dry with a focus on the fundamental that works well for my playing style and taste. It wouldn't necessarily be the best fingerstyle guitar, but horses for courses.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I'm so biased towards Bourgeois dreads over Collings that I shouldn't be posting.

If it's a toss-up for you, than you like something about both guitars, so I wonder if a poll is going to help you.

For something with a different vibe from those two, try a few Santa Cruz dreads.
I am in the same place. Collings are wonderful guitars, but I've never played on I wanted to own. Obviously many others would disagree with some enthusiasm. Bourgeois, on the other hand, makes guitars right in my wheelhouse.

I really think you need to play these first. They are quite different.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-03-2018, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=
I am torn between a Bourgeois Vintage D and a Collings D2H.
...OR do you have any other guitar suggestions that are in the same class or price range as these two guitars. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I see you are asking about EIR backed guitars so this may not be useful but I have a Bourgeois Custom (Hog) Vintage D that I chose after A/Bing with several Collings D1's and D18s. The Bourgeois is warm and LOUD, great in a bluegrass setting. The Bourgeois 1 23/32" neck carve is my favorite and I love the Vintage D appointments.
I would be happy to have a Collings DH2, H&D TD-R or one of the Santa Cruz rosewood models. All wonderful. Happy hunting!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion