The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 AM

Default Thompson D-MA Question

As an admitted Collings addict having owned around 10 D1As, 5 being Traditionals, I am thinking of trying a Thompson D-MA.

Can anyone provide their experience of the D-MA sound as it relates to a Collings D1A Traditional? I'd be ordering a D-MA before playing it, and I'm nervous about not liking it. The D-MA videos on the web sound pretty good, but I have no idea what to expect.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. F View Post
As an admitted Collings addict having owned around 10 D1As, 5 being Traditionals, I am thinking of trying a Thompson D-MA.

Can anyone provide their experience of the D-MA sound as it relates to a Collings D1A Traditional? I'd be ordering a D-MA before playing it, and I'm nervous about not liking it. The D-MA videos on the web sound pretty good, but I have no idea what to expect.
Hi Dr. F

The Thompson's sound much MUCH more accurate to the "vintage" Martin "bluegrass" tone than Collings guitars do, even their authentic series. If that is what you are looking for, you should be very VERY happy.

I mean...good enough for Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Jake Workman, Al Petteway, and Tim May...

nuff said

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion