The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-05-2024, 12:24 PM

Default Rainsong Parlor Guitar?

2nd RS Parlor UPDATE:

I ended up buying the preowned RainSong CO-PA-1000NS that I clearly said I decided not to buy.

I don't mind the N2 neck. I have one on my much-loved V-DR1100N2.
I'm glad that I changed my mind and decided to get it, but now I'll have to wait until it arrives. That's going to be painful!

Fingers crossed that I like it, because it would be a relatively expensive return!! $$

Last edited by Sarah1F; 01-06-2024 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah1F View Post
Just in case anyone belongs to the Rainsong Facebook page, I did post this on there as well…

I have the opportunity to buy a highly reputable music store pre-owned RainSong CO-PA parlor guitar. What do we think about them? Love them? Ambivalent? Don’t like them?
I would probably do the occasional open mic night with it, and it would be added to my mostly wood guitar collection, including my beloved RainSong dreadnought.
I would have to buy it sight unseen, never having even played their parlor guitar, and that makes me extremely apprehensive.
Thank you for your input.
Great for fingerstyle, and not as boxy sounding as some of the wooden cousins of similar size. Strumming it will not sound as full as an OM or dreadnought, but RainSongs are very light weight and resonant guitars. Impervious to the elements, a take anywhere traveler. I played the CH-PA at a Sam Ash years ago and liked it quite a bit.

Oh, and now RainSongs are collectors items too.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

RainSong came out with their parlor guitar about 12 minutes after I bought a Limited Edition Shorty. I was looking for a "boat guitar" at the time, something to replace the Taylor GSmini I had been playing since it came out. I was surprised when I played a RS Parlor that it sounded as good as the Shorty, perhaps a bit less chime, and was more comfortable.

This has all been years ago, but it stuck with me. These days, if looking to keep things small, I'd suggest a previous generation Emerald X7 as another alternative... but, the RS Parlor is also a nice guitar. (If you can be comfortable with the N2/NS neck.)
Old 01-07-2024, 07:19 AM

**Edit due to mistake**

Last edited by Sarah1F; 01-07-2024 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
RainSong came out with their parlor guitar about 12 minutes after I bought a Limited Edition Shorty. I was looking for a "boat guitar" at the time, something to replace the Taylor GSmini I had been playing since it came out. I was surprised when I played a RS Parlor that it sounded as good as the Shorty, perhaps a bit less chime, and was more comfortable.

This has all been years ago, but it stuck with me. These days, if looking to keep things small, I'd suggest a previous generation Emerald X7 as another alternative... but, the RS Parlor is also a nice guitar. (If you can be comfortable with the N2/NS neck.)
I needed this guitar like I needed another hole in my head, Captain Jim!
I already have a GSmini e-koa (as well as quite a few other guitars), but I loved the look of this guitar since I first saw it, I love RainSong (may they RIP!!), and I love the fact that itÂ’s both carbon fiber and small. If I like it, I may end up selling the GS mini. I want to worry less about humidity, etc.
I also need to steer myself away from guitars that take up half of my body size. IÂ’m rather tiny. Lol.
I am keeping my fingers crossed as I have never bought a guitar that I havenÂ’t seen or played in person!
Old 01-07-2024, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I always wanted one of these. I would have ordered a custom with the N1 neck and no pickup but it’s too late now.

There is a ‘new old stock’ guitar at a store that is a few years old and $2300. Do you think that is a good price?
Old 01-07-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I always wanted one of these. I would have ordered a custom with the N1 neck and no pickup but it’s too late now.

There is a ‘new old stock’ guitar at a store that is a few years old and $2300. Do you think that is a good price?
First, I’m still trying to figure out what it is about the N2 neck that people don’t like. I realize it’s chunkier, but I just feel like you get used to whatever is put in your hands if you practice enough. And this is coming from someone who is literally child-sized. My hands are small to go along with everything else about me that’s small. Lol. I play my N2 neck dread without difficulty, and yes, it took a little bit of getting used to but now I see no difference in that one from playing my wood guitars of all shapes and sizes.

PRICE - A good price is what you’re willing to pay for it. I spent more than I wanted for this parlor, but it was definitely a fair and competitive price- below market value, I believe. It’s just that I have enough other guitars, but always wanted this one. I took a chance and offered the seller/store almost $400 less than what it was posted for- after it already stated that the price shown was after a price drop. I was surprised and happy when they accepted.

If you really want the guitar, do it now. They are going to be harder and harder to come by. Just throw an offer out there. Don’t be afraid to offer what you feel you want to pay, even if you think it’s low. If the seller really wants to sell, they will at the very least give you a counter offer.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post

Not to me.

I paid less than $1900 for a brand new Shorty in 2014, after taxes and with a “steal me” hard shell case.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
First, I’m still trying to figure out what it is about the N2 neck that people don’t like. I realize it’s chunkier, but I just feel like you get used to whatever is put in your hands if you practice enough. And this is coming from someone who is literally child-sized. My hands are small to go along with everything else about me that’s small. Lol. I play my N2 neck dread without difficulty, and yes, it took a little bit of getting used to but now I see no difference in that one from playing my wood guitars of all shapes and sizes.

PRICE - A good price is what you’re willing to pay for it. I spent more than I wanted for this parlor, but it was definitely a fair and competitive price- below market value, I believe. It’s just that I have enough other guitars, but always wanted this one. I took a chance and offered the seller/store almost $400 less than what it was posted for- after it already stated that the price shown was after a price drop. I was surprised and happy when they accepted.

If you really want the guitar, do it now. They are going to be harder and harder to come by. Just throw an offer out there. Don’t be afraid to offer what you feel you want to pay, even if you think it’s low. If the seller really wants to sell, they will at the very least give you a counter offer.
Agreed on all of your points.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Not to me.

I paid less than $1900 for a brand new Shorty in 2014, after taxes and with a “steal me” hard shell case.
Well a whole lot has changed with prices since 2014!!! if we were to compare the prices of everything then and now we wouldn’t buy anything at all. Ever.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
First, I’m still trying to figure out what it is about the N2 neck that people don’t like. I realize it’s chunkier, but I just feel like you get used to whatever is put in your hands if you practice enough.
I have an APSE with the N2 neck, the only N2 neck that I've owned and played extensively. It feels fine to me, but it is chunkier in profile. I have noticed lately that some of my Hawaiian slack-key playing, which has me working well up the neck much of the time, can be a bit trickier when compared to the thin electric-like N1 neck on my other RS. That could also be attributed to the 12-fret body join, even with a cutaway. The only way I noticed the "problem" is by making that guitar exclusive for slack key and the six different tunings that I use for that repertoire. I might never have noticed if not for doing that. In the course of a regular week, play time might randomly happen on an Emerald, Rainsong, a Taylor, or a Seagull S6. Each neck feels a little different but adjustment happens quickly.

Glad you went for the purchase. They ain't making any more of them. Enjoy!
Old 01-07-2024, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I actually have large hands. A while back I purchased a Rainsong Parlor with the N2 neck. I really like the guitar and tried it out in the stores before purchase.

Unfortunately even after owning it for a while my left hand would cramp up after 15-20 minutes of play. I have many other guitars of different profiles, thicker or thinner. Haven't had the issue with any other neck. I ended up selling it.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I actually have large hands. A while back I purchased a Rainsong Parlor with the N2 neck. I really like the guitar and tried it out in the stores before purchase.

Unfortunately even after owning it for a while my left hand would cramp up after 15-20 minutes of play. I have many other guitars of different profiles, thicker or thinner. Haven't had the issue with any other neck. I ended up selling it.
Wow, I’m really sorry to hear that. I don’t have to go out and play except for open mic nights and times that our families or friends ask my husband and me to bring our guitars. If my hand starts to bother me after a period of time with any guitar, I just pick up another one if I’m home…but they all do that to me after a half hour or more of playing. That doesn’t happen though with two songs at an open mic night. However, I’ve played for a half hour or more with the N2 neck at home and I can’t say it’s really caused me any more discomfort than with any of the others. I hope I will be lucky and it will be the same with the parlor guitar.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Well a whole lot has changed with prices since 2014!!! if we were to compare the prices of everything then and now we wouldn’t buy anything at all. Ever.

I hope you enjoy your guitar.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I hope you enjoy your guitar.
Thank you! Me too

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber