The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-27-2015, 06:17 AM

Default Building the repertoire of chords.

I am more of a fan of rock music but I wish to learn most of the chords there is to be learned as I am tired of just playing power chords and riffs in the songs I play. Could someone please suggest any bands from whom I can pick up various chords easily by ear and start playing them?
Old 09-27-2015, 06:36 AM

CCR and The Eagles and Neil Young come to mind. I found it hard to emulate The Beatles and Rolling Stones due to complexity and alternate tunings.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
CCR and The Eagles and Neil Young come to mind.
Agreed.
I'd suggest Dylan as well, but he occasionally used non-standard tunings.

You could also go back to early pop and country, like Hank Williams or Buddy Holly - real basic sequences using triad chords, usually the I IV and V in major keys, and the occasional minor vi.

Building an understand of triads (major and minor) and how they link in common sequences is fundamental before tackling 7ths, sus chords, add chords, etc.
The most important 7th to learn is the V7 in any key. (Eg, G7 in C, B7 in E, D7 in G, etc.) It's about hearing the tension in that chord, and how it leads to the key chord.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Just get the biggest book of chords that you can find. That'll keep you busy. Sometimes I'll take out one of mine and just experiment with different chords and transitions. I don't get out much, lol.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write