The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Default Is there a cure for my deafness......

I've been playing for a couple of years, I am a basic strummer who enjoys playing. I go to a guitar group one evening a week. This is not a lesson as such but a get together of like minded players and playing together makes you feel part of a band or group. Last night Gary who organises the group asked me how I felt I had improved over the 6 months since I had joined the group.
I had to explain to him that when I play on my own I can hear what I play but when I play as part of a group I go 'deaf' as my whole concentration is on counting the beats, thinking of the chords and the fingering of them and the changes..... is this the same for other players? .....do you ever get cured?

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner reissue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006
Garrison AGGC 300 2008
Fender Telecaster American Special 2015
Old 02-08-2014, 05:01 PM

Start focusing on the others. At first it might have a negative impact. But I think it will #1 make you hear the others, #2 hear how you fit in. And finally most important #3 make you play better in all ways.
Cordoba Solista CE CD/IN
Cordoba Fusion 14RS
Gibson Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II HoneyBurst
Fender Standard Stratocaster Gold
Fender Standard Telecaster Lake Placid Blue
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Burst
Ibanez GRGA 42 TRB
Ibanez GRGA 32 WHT
Ibanez SR300 Grey
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM

IMHO it's about confidence. Once you can play your parts without total concentration and you have the confidence in your playing to go on autopilot this will all come together
Old 02-08-2014, 05:15 PM

Hi HardyDog. Way to sucker us in with a title that sounded like a very distressing medical condition !

Happily, as it turns out, it is not so bad. I dunno any magic answer.
I have the same kind of experience. Similar circle of mates I loosely jam with once in a while.
I have been playing alone for years. This means I am in terrible habits of cheating on timing, chords, lyrics the lot.
I have to try and focus on what others are doing and pipe down with my own style a bit.
It's a matter of concentration, coupled with feeling the groove.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 PM

I had the same problem. I hope you get past it; I never did and never got on to my satisfaction in any group bigger than a duo.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

If you're concentrating too hard on playing every part of the song and are unable to listen to anyone else, you're missing a lot of the experience that comes from playing in a group setting. Relax a bit and sit back in the groove listening to the others and look for where you could fit in. Sometimes that's just quietly strumming the chords and taking it all in. Sometimes you can find a way to play accents and support the beat of the song. But the main thing is listen and absorb as much as you can, in time you'll find your niche and become a supporting member of the group. Of course the most important thing is to have fun!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Even if you can't sing... Sing some of the songs in practice. It takes part of your mind away from your playing. Some people practice while trying to hold a conversation or following a television program. The idea is to be able to handle a focus on one thing, other than playing, while still playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion