The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Default CEDAR-TOP HEAVEN—Takamine P1NC or Washburn WLG110SWEK

Comparing a Takamine P1NC (solid cedar top/laminated sapele back and sides), NEX body to a Washburn WLG110SWEK (solid cedar top/solid mahogany back and sides, cutaway...

Takamine link: www.takamine.com/P1NC

Washburn link: www.washburn.com/product/g110swe/

I can get the Tak for about $850 and the Washburn for about $600...

How do these compare? I know Takamine uses laminate b/s on many of their sub-$1300 guitars—does that really matter when it comes to tone? Is Takamine known for their laminating technology?

Bottom line—in terms of build quality and tone, is the laminated Tak worth the extra $250?

I know “tone” is subjective. That’s what I'm asking for—subjective opinions on the Tak’s tone and how it compares to the Washburn...

Thanks!!!
Old 05-06-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

I had a P3DC. I Loved how the guitar sounded. Even unplugged. Cedar is a glorious top wood. It just dents easy.... which I think is why it is not used more?
Old 05-06-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I had a P3DC. I Loved how the guitar sounded. Even unplugged. Cedar is a glorious top wood. It just dents easy.... which I think is why it is not used more?
Hi ™

I'm not sure that boat would float (your theory as to why it's not more popular).

Cedar topped guitars when well executed project just as well as their spruce counterparts, but reach full volume capacity with a lot less effort. Even at full volume, Cedar has a warmer and lusher tone, which is not optimum for a lot of players who like 'drive' in their music.

With a stiff Adirondack Spruce top (slightly overbuilt), over Rosewood, and using heavier strings…you will put out a ton more volume either strumming or flat picking than a comparably equipped Cedar Topped counterpart.

And on the flip side, many singer/songwriters or celtic players like the warmth sweetness, strength on the low end, and lushness the Cedar brings to the table. Not saying it hasn't been said or done, but I've never heard anyone who sold their Cedar guitar because it dented too easily.

And modern builders like Taylor (and many others) who apply uber-thin bullet-proof UV finish have eliminated the denting issues. Yet Spruce remains more popular (my main guitar is EIR/Cedar Dreadnought - 26 years old).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-06-2019, 04:55 PM

Those are both nice guitars for very good prices.
I have been impresses with newer Washburn guitars.
I played a few with Cedar tops that were quite pleasant sounding.
I bought one with a Spruce top and love it.
Don't know about the Tak though.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:05 PM

I do love cedar over mahogany, especially for fingerstyle, but I've never played either of the suspects. I have heard good things about many of Washburn's offerings over the past few years.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Finally...

Decided on and bought the Washburn. In the end, I couldn't ignore the cedar over mahogany combination--I do a ton of fingerstyle and it just "fits" for me...

I appreciate all of the input from everyone who took the time over the past few months to weigh in whenever I've inquired about different cedar/mahogany or mahogany guitar choices. This forum is--actually, the people on this forum are--a great place to learn so much about so many different aspects related to acoustic guitars.

Thanks again--

Greg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion