The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2016, 03:04 PM

Default guitar care

Hi Folks. Looking to moisten up the fret board and polish up the frets. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-19-2016, 03:12 PM

0000 grade steel wool will polish the frets and clean the board (maple boards excluded) and after that oil the board. There are a number of fretboard oil products out there. Apply and wipe it across the board and Clean up excess.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

The way I understand it, is that you can lightly sand the fretboard with fine steel wool, & also the frets. Then oil the fretboard (several guitar manufacturers sell a fretboard oil).

Anyone with better information please chime in...
Old 02-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Boy am I slow...!
Old 02-19-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I was thinking the same thing.
But to be constructive, I use Frank's Hot Sauce.
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany
Old 02-19-2016, 06:20 PM

Pretty much any light oil will do. I myself use Stew-Mac restoration fretboard oil, which is mineral oil with some stain in it.

Other people I know use lemon oil, baby oil, mineral oil or even bamboo oil ($$$). Even heard about people using vegetable cooking oil (bad idea, it goes rancid).

I overused the Stew-Mac oil (every string change), trying to darken my RW board to make it look like ebony. Ended up softening the wood, and started to wear it down.

Decided that I'd be better off using ebony stain to darken the FB.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

DO NOT USE "ANY" LIGHT OIL... you don't want anything on there that can go rancid on you... Mineral oil or RAW linseed oil (the other is a blend)... both are inexpensive, you use a tiny amount every great once in a while. Don't waste your money buying high-priced "fancy brand" stuff... this for the fretboard...

To clean, polish the frets, use OOOO steel wool... either build a template so the fretboard doesn't get scratched or always go WITH the grain of the wood, and lightly to polish and buff...

Wipe off the oil really good, and then DO IT AGAIN... after that? WIPE IT DOWN AGAIN! The stuff will want to stay on there a bit...

You really don't want to be oiling your fretboard a bunch; I do mine every 4 or 5 years is all... and all my acoustics are hand builds that are quite expensive (lest you think I'm some sort of lop with a cheap guitar who knows nothing!)...

You will hear a bunch of different information about this, but GO TO THE EXPERTS and you will discover that what I'm saying is true... this is one area where you can actually "kill with kindness"... kind of like putting wax on your guitar every month...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-19-2016, 09:53 PM

There are many great fretboard lemon oils to use. Dunlop, Martin, ...
Old 02-19-2016, 10:17 PM

I know some luthiers who feel that lemon oil can actually dry the fretboard. I'm in the raw linseed oil camp, myself. Sparingly and every couple of years. Although, I'm tempted to try a little of the Boos Block Board Cream I have for the turned wenge handles on my commercial lever espresso machine. It's a mineral oil/beeswax blend, and I'm impressed with its ability to keep the wenge from drying out in the constant heat of the espresso machine (portafilter handle, toggles for steam and water and the lever handle are all wood). Probably next time I need to treat the fretboard of one of my rosewood Strats, I'll give it a try, and see how it works there.

W. H. Auden
Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 PM

I don't use anything at all, just a damp cloth to clean and a dry cloth to dry. I do not use any oil or substance on my guitars period.

I look at it this way.........

I change strings at list once a month or month and a half, and do a good clean out.

I wash my hands before play and I wipe my guitar and fret board down after play.

So really no need for a major clean out if you maintain it regularly.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:35 AM

I have used the Gorgomyte cloth to clean and polish frets/fretboards for several years. You only need to use a small 2" x 2" piece for an entire fretboard.

http://gorgomyte.com

If you prefer to use another method, I would recommend using the synthetic abrasive pads available at hardware stores and woodworking shops. (the white 3M pads work well). Purchase the ones that are the equivalent of 0000 steel wool. The synthetic pads don't have any negatives associated with using steel wool, particularly on guitars with magnetic pickups.

For heavily soiled fretboards you can use Naphtha to remove the serious crud. You can purchase it at most hardware stores. If you use the Gorgomyte cloth or abrasive pads to lightly clean your fretboard with each string change, you shouldn't have to worry about any heavy build-up.

Fret Doctor makes a good product if you want to apply a light oil to dried fretboards. RAW linseed oil also works well. In most cases, you never need to do this. At most limit the application to once or twice a year.

Last edited by SLG; 02-20-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:34 AM

I have never oiled a fretboard, and that includes the one on my Guild D-35 that I have had for 41 years. Its fretboard looks terrific.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 02-20-2016, 09:55 AM

There are a variety of disadvantages to oiling a fingerboard:

- oil can seep in and loosen frets
- too much oil can penetrate the thickness of the wood over time and loosen the glue bond
- oil may be very difficult to remove from the wood - subsequent repairs with glue will not adhere

But if the wood has dried to the point where you feel the need to apply a treatment, I'd use Music Nomad F-One Fretboard Oil Cleaner and Conditioner.

http://www.amazon.com/Music-MN105-Fr.../dp/B006WPGZAG

I would not apply it to a fine guitar in good condition though.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:09 AM

Never had the need to "moisten" a fretboard. The oils from your fingers do that already.

StewMac Fret Erasers are a nice, easy way to polish up the frets, or steel wool as others have suggested. If you really want to do an amazing job and have some time, mask off the fretboard with some partners tap and use some wadding cloth and those frets will be super smooth and will have a mirror finish on them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion