The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Lowden strings?

Anyone try these on a Lowden or other guitars? They’re kinda prohibitively expensive, more than Santa Cruz strings, but Lowden says they’re treated, so maybe they last a long time. Just curious how they sound as well.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:25 PM

I've tried them. They are good strings but not worth the money in my opinion. My favourite strings are Newtone, hand made in England, but there may now be shipping issues because of Brexit.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:31 PM

A tried a set and didn’t like them at all. Prefer every other coated string I’ve tried (pretty much all of them)

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 04-25-2024, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

IIRC, they’re re-packaged Cleartone strings. If you like Cleartone, you’ll probably like the Lowden-branded version. I tried them on all my guitars, and I wasn’t overwhelmed, in fact I wasn’t even whelmed!

However, my ears and hands aren’t your ears and hands and, although I wasn’t especially impressed with Lowden strings, you might like them.

Regarding the price - welcome to the prices we have to pay in the UK. The Lowden strings are the same price as Elixirs and D’Addario XS here - approx. £20 a set, that’s equivalent to US$25 a set.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 04-26-2024 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
IIRC, they’re re-packaged Cleartone strings. If you like Cleartone, you’ll probably like the Lowden-branded version. I tried them on all my guitars, and I wasn’t overwhelmed, in fact I wasn’t even whelmed!

Regarding the price - welcome to the prices we have to pay in the UK. The Lowden strings are the same price as Elixirs and D’Addario XS here - approx. £20 a set, that’s equivalent to US$25 a set.

All true. I'm flirting with XS at present, trying to get past my dislike of coated strings. Played with Mando Bob today who likes XS on his ..... mando, but he finds they get flaky like old elixirs.

We'll see. .... Ol' Andy ... not flaky .... yet!
Old 04-25-2024, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys! I’ve never tried Cleartones, so maybe I should, but they don’t seem to offer singles anywhere, and I’m usually piecing together DADGAD sets now….

Just went to Lowden’s site, and their strings are $27 plus $12 shipping to me, so no thanks!
Old 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM

I've not found anything I like better on my Lowdens. I also use them on McIlroys and occasionally on other guitars. I couldn't care less that they are expensive when I want the best strings for my guitars.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
I've not found anything I like better on my Lowdens. I also use them on McIlroys and occasionally on other guitars. I couldn't care less that they are expensive when I want the best strings for my guitars.
Interesting, how would you describe the tone and what is the longevity like?
Old 04-25-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Interesting, how would you describe the tone and what is the longevity like?
I don't. The tone will be dependant upon the guitar they are on. I test 5-6 sets of my favorite strings on every guitar I have/buy to determine what string I prefer on that guitar. I evaluate how the string brings out the characteristics of the guitar - not the other way. As for longevity, they last as long, or longer than any other string I use. That too will be dependent on the play time, not time period, player's chemistry and humidity level..... So, it will vary for each player. My advice, try them and see if you like them.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks guys! I’ve never tried Cleartones, so maybe I should, but they don’t seem to offer singles anywhere, and I’m usually piecing together DADGAD sets now….
No need to buy singles for ‘piecing together’, they have a DADGAD set - the equivalent of D’Addario ‘True Mediums’ with medium 1, 2 and 6, and light 3, 4 and 5.

Maybe buy several sets to reduce the unit shipping cost? Remember also that the prices quoted on the Lowden website are inclusive of 20% VAT (our tax laws require advertised prices to be VAT-inclusive). VAT is not chargeable on exports from NI, so the actual price to a US purchaser should be 5/6ths of the advertised price.

https://shop-gb.lowdenguitars.com/co...s-dadgad-13-56

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 04-26-2024 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:35 AM

I'm also a fan of the strings, if not the price - I've had a few sets on my F23 and they sound great.

To be honest I'd just assumed they were re-badged D'Addarios or Elixirs, and it never even occurred to me that they might be coated although that might explain the longevity. The F23 has been on its stand unplayed for a few months, and when I picked it up last night the strings still sounded fresh.

About once a year Lowden have a sale in their online store with buy one, get one free on all strings and that does make them more affordable although at nearly £10 a set they're still not cheap...

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Martin Sigma DR28H
Old 04-26-2024, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
No need to buy singles for ‘piecing together’, they have a DADGAD set - the equivalent of D’Addario ‘True Mediums’ with medium 1, 2 and 6, and light 3, 4 and 5.

Maybe buy several sets to reduce the unit shipping cost? Remember also that the prices quoted on the Lowden website are inclusive of 20% VAT (our tax laws require advertised prices to be VAT-inclusive). VAT is not chargeable on exports from NI, so the actual price to a US purchaser should be 5/6ths of the advertised price.

https://shop-gb.lowdenguitars.com/co...s-dadgad-13-56
Yes, I saw that Lowden does Dadgad sets, which is great, but if they indeed rebranded Cleartones, it makes more sense for me to get those, and I don’t see singles or Dadgad sets available…
Old 04-26-2024, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I like Lowden strings and for me they last 6 months or longer. They also offer discounts at least once a year. My two rosewood Wingerts sound excellent with their PBs.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-27-2024, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I saw that Lowden does Dadgad sets, which is great, but if they indeed rebranded Cleartones, it makes more sense for me to get those, and I don’t see singles or Dadgad sets available…
You can’t buy what’s not available, you have to buy what is available. And sometimes that involves paying a premium and just sucking it up - it’s a fact of guitar-playing life.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion