The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2022, 06:10 AM

Default Was Elm ever used n making guitars?

I have a question for you wood geeks: I just read a piece about a holdout stand of American Elm trees in Maine. Almost all of our elms were killed by Dutch Elm Disease starting in the 1960's, and were practically extinct by the 1980's.

Was elm wood ever used in making guitars or musical instruments? The story said a nice piece of burled veneer was probably the source of the beetle that came here bearing the fatal illness. Does anyone have/know of furniture or anything else made of elm, if not guitars? If it was used in guitars, what was it used for?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:19 AM

Yes, I have a photo of an elm guitar, not bad looking. The wood is probably hard to work due to intertwined grain, but gets very hard with time.

Info and photo on tonewooddatasource.weebly.com. (sorry, I don't know how to do links, you'll have to type it in or cut and paste)

And it is far from extinct, lots of young ones around, which usually die before full maturity. Once in a while you'll see one with a 2' or larger diameter trunk, but mostly they die by 1" diameter.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:55 AM

Traditionally elm was not used in guitar making. I don't doubt that someone made an elm guitar, in fact I'd be shocked if they didn't but it has a number of things going against it. First off, it is very difficult to work due to the interlocking grain. I've worked with elm a little and it was brutal. The second, and more serious issue is that it's not terribly stable. It tends to move around even after properly dried. Historically American elm was used for things like wooden crates, animal pens and low cost flooring. All things were stability was not of the upmost importance.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:30 AM

You can get a Lakewood guitar made with European elm. I think it’s their 30 series - M30, D30 etc. It might be easiest to get it custom ordered. They used elm as an anniversary model in 2016.

You can also get Amish furniture made of elm in Pennsylvania. I love the grain. Here is my elm guitar stool. It has a slight depression in the middle, making the grain stand out even more:

Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 03-26-2022, 09:36 AM

Original poster wants to know, as posted in the threadline (thread title): "Elm ever used n making guitars?" Obviously meant to write "in," of course.

Yes. The Freddy Krueger model. It was a nightmare to play.

By the way, this same question came up here in AGF back on 8-13-2018 in a thread over at Elm?

I responded to that thread, where I made the following comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post

...By the way, I'm all for using more elm in Blues guitars. Call it the Elmore James model.

Addendum: Elm guitars would be perfect for playing Looney Tunes music, too. Call it the Elmer Fudd model.

Last edited by Inyo; 03-26-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:21 PM

I've worked elm wood. It was awful stuff.

Just because it's wood, doesn't mean it is a candidate for instrument making.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 03-28-2022, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the responses!
Old 03-28-2022, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Hardest wood to split. Even harder than hickory. I can't imagine it bends easily at all.

I used to cut/split cord wood. You don't really split hickory. You really have to shred it due to interlocking grain. Looks like shredded wheat after a trip through the splitter. Elm is worse. Interlocking grain and the wood is hard as iron.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:26 AM

Interlocking grain does make it harder to bend. But less likely to crack.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I have a custom Amish made elm stereo cabinet. The grain is beautiful!
Old 03-28-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogsNRoses View Post
You can get a Lakewood guitar made with European elm. I think it’s their 30 series - M30, D30 etc. It might be easiest to get it custom ordered. They used elm as an anniversary model in 2016.

You can also get Amish furniture made of elm in Pennsylvania. I love the grain. Here is my elm guitar stool. It has a slight depression in the middle, making the grain stand out even more:

Wow! With grain like that no one would have needed to invent the psychedelic light show.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-28-2022, 01:47 PM

We used to salvage elm wood at the local landfill for fire wood. You couldn't split it down to size for the stove, so we'd rip it with a specially sharpened chain on the saw, producing excelsior. Also, the line about elm in the old 'Fire Wood Song' went:
"Elm wood burns like graveyard mold, E'en the very flames are cold"

I actually had to put the wood in on either side and light the fire in between so that the heat reflecting back and forth would be enough to keep it burning. It took a lot of elm to equal a cord of oak. OTOH, back in the Boston suburbs in the 80s it was easy to come by; everybody was cutting down dead elms.

The one real use I've heard of for it was as hubs for wood wheels. Apparently that's what Ford used on the early Model T's. It may have found some use as pully sheaves.

I wish now I'd saved some out for a guitar. It could not be much more difficult to work with hand tools than Osage Orange.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion