The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Default Heard a Voyage Air Guitar Today

George at Phoenix Guitar Co purchased a voyage air travel guitar to go with him on his trip on a cruise ship. He played it for me and I have to say, not bad at all. To my knowledge, other than Brunner, it's the only one with 1 3/4 inch nut width, as the Yamaha SLG 100S is a 1 11/16ths inch. The Voyage air sounded great, the case is small and solid. George knows George Leach very well and felt good about making a purchase on a guitar he designed.

It's a bit more complicated with a classical travel guitar as the top has to be exceptionally thin. Thus, folding the neck over could cause an issue. George plans to talk to Mr. Leach about this at NAMM and see if he is planning a classical version.

Lisa
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, Lisa.

I have been trying on the idea of a Voyage-Air guitar for a while. I'm not traveling us much as I used to, so it's been hard to pull the trigger. But it's always good to hear that another AGFer has heard one and thought it sounded good.

Regards, Glenn
Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
To my knowledge, other than Brunner, it's the only one with 1 3/4 inch nut width, as the Yamaha SLG 100S is a 1 11/16ths inch.
Have you considered a CA Cargo? 1-3/4" nut, travels well, and it's essentially bullet-proof.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 10-22-2009, 09:22 AM

I have a Voyage Air VAOM2C, it plays and sounds really great for me and I am very happy to have this guitar flying with me.
I will not put my other guitars to plane and I need a OM size guitar for practise. And this guitar met my needs and it sounds really good.
AER Domino 2
TC Electronic G Natural
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
George at Phoenix Guitar Co purchased a voyage air travel guitar to go with him on his trip on a cruise ship. He played it for me and I have to say, not bad at all. To my knowledge, other than Brunner, it's the only one with 1 3/4 inch nut width, as the Yamaha SLG 100S is a 1 11/16ths inch. The Voyage air sounded great, the case is small and solid. George knows George Leach very well and felt good about making a purchase on a guitar he designed.
I played the rosewood OM cutaway at CAAS in July 2008. At that time, Harvey didn't have a bunch of them to sell, but said there was a shipment coming from China. Since then, they have become very availble.

I have heard that the quality is not always consistent, but I can tell you that the one I played was very good. I like the zero fret neck, and the sound was very good for a travel guitar. I unfolded it, tightened the nut on the neck heel and strummed it - it was in tune after having been folded up in it's case. That was pretty amazing to me.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
I have heard that the quality is not always consistent, but I can tell you that the one I played was very good.
You heard wrong, every one we had go through the store were flawless. Excellent guitars, I have not had one complaint yet.

Ted
Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
You heard wrong, every one we had go through the store were flawless. Excellent guitars, I have not had one complaint yet.

Ted
I had one for a week, and it was excellent.

-Raf
Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM
jackholexxxx

Quote:

Ted
No, you are wrong. I have heard the same criticism of quality of the China made models. Not that there is any major issues, just some fit and finish problems.

Pete
Old 10-22-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Ted
I know LA Guitars sells quite a few of these, and I see them on e bay being sold by LA Guitars. I am interested in one, but I have a Morris S-107 to sell first.

I thought I was being very complimentary of the Voyage Air guitar that I played, and I certainly cannot speak for any I haven't played. The quality issue I mentioned is hearsay and cannot be admitted into evidence in a court of law. Seriously, I really like the concept and I thinnk they are the answer for a quality travel guitar.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Saw one (Voyage Air) at Folk Alliance Region Midwest. A performer played one. Afterwards she had it sitting folded up and demonstrated for a few of us how it clicks in place; locks; and is in tune and ready to play. Took about 5 seconds. Quite amazing. And it sounded great.

Though I want to go on record that I prefer 1 11/16 necks to 1 3/4 on my guitars. These fora seem to get all huffy and indignant about guitars that are and are not 1 3/4; as if there's only one width for a modern legitimate guitar player to play.

(Not you particularly. It just irks me from time to time, and I'm having a grumpy day).
Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Though I want to go on record that I prefer 1 11/16 necks to 1 3/4 on my guitars. These fora seem to get all huffy and indignant about guitars that are and are not 1 3/4; as if there's only one width for a modern legitimate guitar player to play.

(Not you particularly. It just irks me from time to time, and I'm having a grumpy day).
I think the Voyage Air dreads are 1 11/16, but I could be wrong. The OM's
are 1 3/4. I like either nut width and have never felt that there is anything wrong with an 1 11/16 nut. I love to throw my thumb over the top of the neck and can do it with either width. I think most people on this forum just prefer the 1 3/4, I don't think they are looking down their noses (so to speak) at those who prefer 1 11/16.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM

Yes, there's only one permissible nut width: 1-7/8". I'm grumpy today too. On these "fora"? Wow, never heard that one before. Is the plural of quorum quora?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Saw one (Voyage Air) at Folk Alliance Region Midwest. A performer played one. Afterwards she had it sitting folded up and demonstrated for a few of us how it clicks in place; locks; and is in tune and ready to play. Took about 5 seconds. Quite amazing. And it sounded great.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 PM

I really love my OM2C. It is a great guitar and I travel with it a couple of times a week. I went back and forth between it and a Cargo. They both sound great and I really like the Cargo's durability but I chose the Voyage-Air because it is more compact when it's folded up in the case. I work on a train and the backpack is a little more incognito as well. I could have gone either way but I'm happy with the OM2C.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 PM

I picked up one of the Songwiter Series Voyageairs, the VAOM-06. It's my campfire guitar, and is lovely. It plays wonderfully with a sweet focused tone and holds it's own even when playing with resonator instruments.

I don't fly, but if the car is packed full there is always room for the voyageair in it's carry case. It mostly lives in a gig bag, ready to jam!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 PM

Love mine, too. Imma try to hold on to it as long as I can!

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion