The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2013, 01:15 PM

Default Finding the best Instructor?

I am New to Playing the guitar somewhat, I own a Epiphone dove for about a year now and tried teaching myself. I am still very much a beginner, After this tough lesson, I recently purchased a Taylor 314CE and I want to learn so much more. After reading many post on here recommending to find the best instructor in the area to learn from, I came up with a few questions:

- What is the best way to locate the best instructor, as each music store claims they have them?
- After finding an instructor, what is the recommended time between lessons? once a week, every 2 weeks?
- And I would appreciate anymore valuable information I should consider before making my mind up on the decision I will be making.

I thank you all in advance for your valued input
Old 12-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodde View Post
I am New to Playing the guitar somewhat, I own a Epiphone dove for about a year now and tried teaching myself. I am still very much a beginner, After this tough lesson, I recently purchased a Taylor 314CE and I want to learn so much more. After reading many post on here recommending to find the best instructor in the area to learn from, I came up with a few questions:

- What is the best way to locate the best instructor, as each music store claims they have them?
- After finding an instructor, what is the recommended time between lessons? once a week, every 2 weeks?
- And I would appreciate anymore valuable information I should consider before making my mind up on the decision I will be making.

I thank you all in advance for your valued input
Hi Woodde...

I think many parks-n-recreation departments, or others in most community also offer beginner classes for group lessons. These are usually anywhere from 6-12 weeks in length and should average out about $10-15 lesson (weekly). They usually are 1 hour or 90 minutes in length.

I think it's a great way to start and have taught some myself. Those early formative guitar learning experiences are wonderful when shared in a group setting.

Of course some music stores offer 30 minute lessons. And they are weekly, often taught from a book and cost $25-40 a lesson. And many charge as much for beginner lessons as experienced player lessons. Usually less if you buy a package. I know teachers charging $100 - $120 for a package of 4 lessons, and you pay even if you miss (emergency or not). So ask for details...

What to ask...
Ask what's going to be taught, and expect to come out of the initial beginner set knowing how to tune the guitar, how to play in keys of C, G and D and perhaps Em and Am.

I don't personally think that beginner lessons are unique enough that one needs a private instructor, unless you intend to learn classical music and/or follow a single series of study/books through several years of lessons.

If you are taking more advanced lessons, there may be private teachers in the community who are not connected with the music stores, and depending on your capacity and willingness to push yourself you can likely find weekly or bi-weekly teachers.

The main thing is does the teacher give you adequate explanations and good instruction and pay attention to your needs and questions. If you like them and they like you, it's always better.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-10-2013, 02:33 PM

I am happy you are looking for a teacher. A great teacher is often hard to find. But there are lots of good teachers.

For my first teacher: I asked at the local music stores. Then I asked many of the local bands who the best teacher was. I got the same answer both ways and it was an easy choice.

Last time: I also visited the local stores and asked local bands. I got a big list, called each and interviewed them. I picked a formally educated teacher who actually performed and played both bass and guitar.

You really have to think about what you want before you choose. Always set a goal. Where do you want to be musically in two years? Convey that to the teacher.

My last teacher - I set a goal to learn how to build chords and learn different voicing’s of the same chords. Also complex chord progressions.
It was hard to find a private teacher who taught this in my locality. My choice wasn’t much of an acoustic player or a fan of finger style playing but was totally gifted in theory and I met my goal.

Sometimes you may need more than one teacher to teach what you want to learn.

Learning from teachers are some of my best memories as a musician.

Best of luck and most of all ....have fun!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Humanist

You should be aware that there are many players/teachers (darned fine teachers) that make themselves available on Skype for lessons.

There are many ins & outs to finding a good-teacher, and also someone that you personally can connect with...but it doesn't have to be only-local to you...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Thanks for all the input, I will put it all to use as I start this journey, I always seem to find good quality advice on here
Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM

Decide what kind of music you want to play...and then ask about teachers that teach that style. Don't try to learn blues from a classical teacher...or vice versa. Bluegrass? Fingerstyle? There are so many options out there...eventually you will want to focus. If you know your focus NOW, that's a great start.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Don't forget that there are many instructors (like me) that offer online lessons via webcam. A great way to work with some great teachers who are not in your local area.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion