The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2024, 10:15 PM

Default a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Having built a few model airplanes I would say the lite ply is birch. We also use basswood and of course spruce.
'lite ply' in r/c model terms is poplar. Birch plywood is much heavier and costly.

(I know it's begging the question, but I've been at the model airplane hobby for fifty-plus continuous years.)
Old 05-04-2024, 06:36 AM

C/l or R/C?
Old 05-04-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingtigre View Post
C/l or R/C?
Mostly r/c. Some c/l stunt.
Old 05-04-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
'lite ply' in r/c model terms is poplar. Birch plywood is much heavier and costly.

(I know it's begging the question, but I've been at the model airplane hobby for fifty-plus continuous years.)
Brain fart. You are right. Used birch ply for the firewalls and lite ply for the sides. It has been more than a few years.
Old 05-04-2024, 12:19 PM

They call it "White wood" so they don't have to specify the wood species. That leaves them free to change wood as supply chains tighten or costs change.

You might not be happy if they called it "Mixed hardwoods".

So yes. Basically any light colored wood veneer suitable for making instrument plywood. That also allows them to use the sapwood of many dark woods. This is opposed to, say plywood capped with some species of mahogany.... Which is an upgrade.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I am no disputing you saying soft or soft hardwoods. On whether hardwood stores label softwoods as white wood, I am not aware of any hardware stores that call softwoods white wood. Around here any hardwood is at least double the price of a softwood so we do not see the two mixed together.

Just did a search, Lowes does refer to construction lumber as white woods but they being a recent arrival north of the border I may have missed it. Mind you, the website also gives my closest store on the US side of the border so maybe it is a term more used down there. Silly of me to think things are the same all over.
Around here hardware stores that carry lumber will often label pine as whitewood. Pine is a softwood and very abundant around here, so it is pretty cheap. It's rare that a hardwood is cheaper than a softwood in this part of the country (West Coast). I can't say I pay attention to other regions because hardware store lumber isn't good enough to consider having shipped from other states.

Also, just talking about hardware/lumber store usage of the term. I doubt RK is using softwoods for back and sides.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion