The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
Pretty much what I was thinking, too….
Apparently my 4 year old found my phone and decided to contribute
Old 08-04-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Apparently my 4 year old found my phone and decided to contribute
Welcome to the forum young Wellington! Thanks especially for lowering the age demographic.

I do have tell you that you could have found an answer to your question if you'd used the search function. Also Elixir strings sound terrible and no one should use them. You could try different bridge pins to change the tone. You also need to try a thicker pick. James Taylor. Tommy Emmanuel. You get what you pay for, and if you want to be a pro you need to play pro instruments. Binkies go dead when not played, but will open up once you start on them. Only a Martin will sound like a Martin, it has to so with reducing the damping from too tightly glued bindings. Richlite isn't real wood.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-04-2023, 08:52 AM

Indeed, welcome young Wellington. We are all a bit opinionated around here, so pretty much all of us have not outgrown our 4 year old mentality except for me (who is actually very distinguished once you get to know me).

My advice, just stay away from those purists! If anyone tries to convince you that once carbon turns into wood it is no longer real carbon...that is just nonsense. Besides, wood comes in a variety of flavors and colors instead of that boring old black stuff. Plus it smells wonderful. Also, Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings are the best strings on the planet! I mean, so many pros endorse them so they must be good right?
Old 08-04-2023, 09:31 AM

I am surprised I had this reaction as I thought it would be a cool thing, but it did end up bothering me that he sawed it in half. What did we really learn that we would not have seen from a light and a mirror in the soundhole? The braces were there to see, some glue squeeze out could have been cleaned better and the grain issues. Everything we saw we could have seen through the sound hole.

I guess I am just not into wasting perfectly good items. That guitar could easily be the best many people would ever own. I love Yamahas and they are always my go to recommendation when people are looking for the best guitar for their money. Give it away when you are done with it and make someone very happy. I don't know, I guess I see it as a waste for what info was gained.

For those questioning the hand built world and 5 figured guitars, it is not uncommon really. Visit the Custom Shop a little and look around. Personally, I have not heard of this fellows guitars before this thread though.

All my opinion. Have a great day.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am surprised I had this reaction as I thought it would be a cool thing, but it did end up bothering me that he sawed it in half. What did we really learn that we would not have seen from a light and a mirror in the soundhole? The braces were there to see, some glue squeeze out could have been cleaned better and the grain issues. Everything we saw we could have seen through the sound hole.
As mentioned earlier, Chris didn't handsaw the guitar in half for our benefit. Fundamentally that would be silly, and as you said nothing there that couldn't have been revealed with a camera and mirrors. More accurately, he sawed the guitar in half as a straightforward means of drawing attention to his YouTube channel and his guitar-making business. It is distilled as a simple business advertising expense and, based on this thread alone, has shown a modicum of success.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion