The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Default NUGD - Taylor GT Urban Ash

After spending a week with a really good GT, followed by GoatMic posting his NGD on his GTE Blacktop, I could not stop thinking about it. I decided it would be most practical to part with my GS Mini and replace it with a GT Urban Ash. One in, one out, right??? The GS Mini sold fast which meant the hunt was on. I considered new and used and in the end went with a used GT without the ES2. (note, the mojotone nc-2 sounds awesome in it)

There are subtle differences in every GT neck, overall feel, and tone. I played a GTe in a store that was amazing and tried the 811e sitting next to it and to me, the GT crushed it in playability albeit a lower model in the GT lineup but alas, this guitar is for travel.

With the used market flooded with GT's right now, I was able to look at a ton of 'em online. The GT I chose has serious spunk and snap. It feels great and has a lot of moxie. I worked with SoundPure on the purchase and they were great to work with. Shout out to Dan! They took various measurements for me that are important when I evaluate a guitar that I cannot try in person. Surprisingly, two other well known sellers/stores known here were not willing to take neck depth measurements or verify nut width for me. And this was not because they were boxed up ready to ship. They just did not want to. I was really surprised by this and obviously I did not purchase from either of them.

The GT arrived safe and sound this week and it is a blast to have around. The increase in size from the GS Mini makes all the difference in playability to me. This one has a quick attack, serious punch and growl, and impressive dynamics. It's playability and forward tonal projection has me wanting to grab it and noodle on it endlessly. I can see why GoatMic was so stoked. It's just a lot of fun. I look forward to taking it camping this summer and playing some music!

front.jpg
Old 05-02-2024, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Fun! I actually also recently purchased the GTe Urban Ash. Unfortunately, I had to send mine back as it was new but had some wear/tear out of the box that wasn't described AND it had a spot on the neck where the high three strings just completely fretted out (and it didn't look like the fret was unseated). I didn't want to deal with both issues, so it got shipped back.

HOWEVER, the time I had with it definitely made me interested in this size and body shape. They are SO comfortable to play. I read a bunch of posts here, and saw lots of folks complaining that it isn't that much better than the GS Mini. My experience was that the GT is noticeably fuller and balanced than the GS Mini.

One thing to consider: before I bought mine, I asked Taylor if the GT can handle mediums, and they said yes no problem. And I think if/when I go back to one of these, I'll definitely be stringing it with .13s.

Lastly: I mentioned in another thread, but I think Taylor should 100% put this model in their Mexican line. If they do a 211e with a gloss body and an arched back, I think it would sound even bigger, and would really give the GS Mini a run for its money in that 200 series range.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:20 AM

Awesome guitars congratulations. I got the bug playing that model with the ES2 (I’d have bought it on the spot if it was the straight GT).

I then found a sunburst AD11 which had just got better the more I’ve played it.

I came across an 811 at a really good price and I tried to talk myself out of it but I couldn’t stop thinking about it! It’s a great guitar and is just as nice to play and sounds different to the AD11 to warrant keeping both. It’s just gone for a new bone nut and saddle fitting.

Enjoy the GT

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 05-02-2024, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

They look cool . Unfortunately the 24 1/8” scale makes it a hard no from me.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:18 PM

I bought a used Urban Ash GT in December and it continues to impress me. The shorter scale is a plus, not a negative, for me.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Congrats waterlooz! The GT's and AD11's are nice guitars.
Eventually I'd like to get one in sunburst...
Enjoy it!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-02-2024, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Taylor! Very cool guitar!

- Glenn
Old 05-03-2024, 05:15 AM

Congrats!

For anyone interested, GC has some good prices on several used ones at the moment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion