The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2021, 07:51 AM

Default Finally fixed a problem guitar

A few months ago I purchase an epiphone Chet Atkins sst. When it arrived I found the electronics in it didn’t work correctly. The issue seemed to be a problem with the pickup not dead cables or battery issues. I took it to a repair shop that completely rebuilt the electronics on the preamp. This seemed to fix the problem for a bit but then the cutting out and low volume came back. I had checked all the connections and piezo pickup as well. So I started thinking it may be the volume pot. This is the sst that has the two knobs controls. Anyway instead of taking it back to the repair shop I thought how hard can it be to replace a volume pot! Well it must have been harder than I thought as I think I destroyed the preamp! Disappointed as I was I figured this would become a rather large paperweight. I had been searching around for replacement preamps and they are not easily found for this guitar. But I did find one I thought might fit. It came yesterday. I made the decision that I would put this on myself. I got it installed no problem and wouldn’t you know it still didn’t work. Anyone want to take a guess what the problem was? It was that **** piezo pickup. The crystals or connections must have had issues I couldn’t see. Replaced that and wouldn’t you know the **** thing sound great! I will say that I made a bone saddle to replace the weird slotted plastic one it came with but for whatever reason the the slotted one made the tone much more even. Wish I could find a replacement slotted one as the one that is on it is in need of replacement. But it does work and sounds great. Thought I would share. I know many people hav problems with the electronics in this guitar. Oh and before anyone says why didn’t I send it back, reverb and the seller made this right. I was impressed with the level of customer service that reverb gave.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Great that you found the problem and had it fixed! Now you an enjoy your Chet Atkins SST.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-25-2021, 11:08 AM

Yea. Very much so! I play live and this gives me a great option. It sounds very good and is comfortable for 3-4 hours. It sits well in the mix with the band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion