The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 08:14 PM

Default Three years away, need some advice

Last posted on the forums back in 2012 i believe, long time to be away! Gave up playing around that time for a couple reasons but have a strong urge to start playing again. Was never any good but enjoyed it none the less and have missed it of late but having been so long out of the game i'm out of touch with market valuations especially what i can get secondary wise.

Can anyone give me a ball park on the what i could pick up for between five and seven hundred pounds nowadays? Would be looking for a spruce top, rosewood (or similar wood) back & sides, full body, electrics optional. Would i manage to reach a handmade within that price bracket? Age being a factor in that of course, also the possibility of a baritone? Alternatively best bang for my buck buying new?

Live in the UK so obviously buying from abroad would eat a good chunk of my budget.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 AM

Hi,

You can get the yamaha A3 series and LL16/LJ16/LS16 ranges in the uk now for £660. These are all solid wood guitars and you can get rosewood or mahogany back and sides.

I bought an AC3M recently from E-Bay for £430 and I'm happy with it.

You can get all solid wood Ibanez Artwood guitars from about £400 new.

There are also Crafter and Faith guitars that get a good reviews.
Seagull as well if you can stand the headstock design.

Alvarez guitars are great value for money. LAG guitars are interesting as well, a French company I think.

If you wanted a US manufacturer you are probably looking at a laminate back and sides at this price range.

The Gibson J-15 is one of the best value all solid wood US made guitars in the UK at around £1000.

Basically quite a lot of choice up to £700.

Paul.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:43 AM

If you are fingerstyle orientated I like the look of Vintage VE2000DLX at about £600. The electric part is Fishman Rare-Earth soundhole pick up. Recordings I've heard sound good and user-reviews are verry postive as well. Gordon Giltrap had a hand in it, it's a copy of his Rob Armstrong, who had a hand in it as well.

http://www.mansons.co.uk/product/vin...ve2000dlx-5691
Old 03-12-2015, 04:13 AM

Mutely, you are in the ballpark of some fine used all solid wood guitars. Breedlove has a Premier series that sell for $1900 US new and there are a few that show up on E-Bay used for about $1200 US. They are great sounding guitars and are player friendly. You can't go wrong with a used Taylor or Martin Dread that come with OHSC. Anyway I hope this helps your search and the best of luck in your findings, make sure you post pics of your new guitar when you find it! Welcome back!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 03-12-2015, 05:23 PM

cheers all looked up some old sites i used to visit including the north american guitar which happens to have some of Andrew White's freja line in stock within my budget. Really like his hand made builds but didn't know of these, will look into them further but also looking towards baritone options.

Anyone have experience with this line from Andrew? Are idea on the quality of the woods used?

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 03-12-2015, 07:05 PM

Mutley, welcome back to the guitar and the forum!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion