The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Need some advice on Taylors

Ok, so this is my first post and I'm a newb on this forum so forgive me if this has been asked a million times. :P After saving a good deal of cash for the past year, I've decided to move on to bigger and better things...like a new Taylor.

I play mostly rythm guitar, specifically worship type (ie Chris Tomlin, Hillsong) and once in a while lead stuff, and I'd love on advice on what possible Taylors might work best. I've tried the 414ce and I like it a lot, but being away at college with no real time and guitar store to try them out (I go to one of the service academies) I haven't had the chance to try out many models. I'll be home in about two weeks, so I will try to head out to Buffalo Brothers to try out the models there.

Currently, the 414 and 614 are the models I've tried and like (something about the GA models :P) Any suggestions on any other models, wood types, whether I should go with the limited series, or older models would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Welcome, Jester!

Best bet is to hit a guitar store and try 'em out.

The GA models are great, but you should be sure to try the GS and jumbo models if any are available.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmo View Post

The GA models are great, but you should be sure to try the GS and jumbo models if any are available.

I'd especially recommend the GS for rhythm styles.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Great! Will do. I have heard the GS models were good too. Anyone have experience with Buffalo Brother guitars?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116 View Post
Anyone have experience with Buffalo Brother guitars?
Yes, lots. I've bought four guitars from them. You should have fun visiting there. They seem to be pretty well stocked on Taylor GA and GS body styles right now.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116 View Post
Great! Will do. I have heard the GS models were good too. Anyone have experience with Buffalo Brother guitars?
Since you're in the O.C., Buffalo Brothers would be a great store to try out a lot of different guitars. I haven't purchased a guitar from them (yet!), but would definitely consider them for my next axe. Two main selling points for the store:

1. They are very competitive regarding pricing.

2. They have a full value upgrade policy which is great if you ever decide to trade in your guitar.

Good luck in your decision. I think you would be very happy with one of the GS models. The GA models are also nice. The 614ce would be great for cutting through any mix onstage.
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 PM

I usually have four or five Taylor acoustics in my guitar room at home so I have A/B’d most of them. For rhythm I tend to favor the 600 series, and the 615 in particular. However you should look and hear for yourself, and while you’re at Buffalo Brothers you should try some other makers guitars as well. There are many more great choices from Gibson, Martin, Larrivee and Breedlove at the price range of a Taylor 615.

Good luck, and let us know which way you went.

Ted
Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 PM

My preferences is 814ce, coz you can do a lot of rhythm strumming with it, while sometimes you would also do a bit of fingerpicking during the beginning of the worship songs.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:18 AM

The maple bodied guitars work best on stage in terms of resistance to feedback, the best guitar for your purpose is the one you like the best.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 AM

I play that style of music on a 414Kce ('97 Fall limited with Koa) and it works great, very clear and strong, but lately, I've been hungering for a little more low end power. If I had to do it all with one guitar that's currently available, I'd ask your dealer about getting this year's 414ce Fall limited, which is East Indian Rosewood - but that's just me. I love Rosewood. The Gibson Songwriter Deluxe is pretty cool too, but I hate a glossy neck.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 AM

I say buy what you love the sound of. When it comes to live you can always, and i hope you do, put it through a guitar preamp. Good luck in your search, that's half the (fun) battle.
Taylor "04" K22CE-L30 Koa/Koa
Taylor "06" 914CE fall limited Coco/Engel.
Baby Taylor
Collings "01" D3 EIR/Sitka
Martin "1939" 0-17 Mahog.
Ovation "86" Anniversary
Gibson R7 Goldtop
Carvin DC400
Carvin strat
Epiphone MIJ Fujigen Elite Les Paul

http://www.reverbnation.com:80/marcocatracchia
Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 PM

I bought the T5 because of the versitility. I play in a worship band as well, and because of the wide variety of music we do, the T5 is perfect. It is an awsome guitar.
Strat Plus - White
52 Reissue Tele - Blonde
Gibson ES 125 - {50's ?} Dark Sunburst
Takamine Santa Fe - Natural
Cyber Twin - Stage Amp
Marshall Mini Stack - Practice Amp

"play all you can today, Jesus may come tomorrow"
Old 12-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Only visiting this planet

Man, I want a t-5 too.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Hey Jester,

as a worship leader for a college ministry, it is really important IMO to have a guitar that's pretty versatile - sounds good while finger or flatpicking, and strong enough to cut through while strumming. ALSO, if you're in college, you probably don't have a couple of thousand dollars to drop on a high end taylor.

With that being said, I opted to get a used GSRS, or GS8 for a really good price and just installed a K&K mini on it for another 80 or so bucks. It is versatile, sounds great while strumming, and is a hot enough pickup for worship band use. It's a great guitar!

Another option is the fall limited GS4e. It is probably the cheapest guitar out there with a full on revoiced ES system, and it sounds great to boot. Personally, I'd take rosewood over blackwood any day, but in terms of price, getting a great pickup, and a great sounding guitar, I'd be torn between the two. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Thanks everyone a bunch for all the tips, I'm definitely coming home armed with a ton of ideas for a new guitar and I'll make sure I'll keep ya'll posted with what I get. Keep the ideas comin!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion