The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 AM

Default Alvarez Yairi DY65CE & DY70CE

Hi,
Has anyone had a chance to play either of these models? I think they're fairly new- no reviews or videos out there that I've found. 65 is cedar, 70 is spruce.

Looks like a very nice B-Band pickup and preamp system, but then I've never tried anything by them. Specs don't list solid hog back and sides so probably laminate. I'm a strummer but have been playing a cedar topped dread forever, so I'm partial to the cedar, but would love to try both. Any comments welcome!

http://www.alvarezguitars.com/instru...yairi-standard
Old 10-15-2013, 12:55 PM

They are laminate guitars, but Yairi does laminates w/ all layers of the tone wood as opposed to Mahogany or Rosewood veneer over a cheap filler wood.
Mr. Yairi does this for stability w/out losing too much tone. Essentially they are solid Mahogany or Rosewwood, but consisting of layers rather than one piece of wood. The tops are solid.
I've not played either of these, but Yairis have pretty consistant good tone. They are hand made guitars and they also tend to be trouble free. I've had my Yairi DY-77 for over 20 years since new and it has never needed a neck adjustment or a set up.

Here is a video tour of the Yairi workshop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxz6BiG_JE
Old 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Have owned an Alvarez-Yairi DY 57S since I bought it new in 1977. I have several other guitars (Gibson, Martin etc.), but wouldn't get rid of the Yairi for anything. It has been a true workhorse as well as a tone monster (to my ears, anyway) for 35+ years. No cracks, splits, neck resets nor any other work of substance. In fact, I recently purchased another A-Y from a forum member and was not disappointed.

IMHO, they are very well made, have a very nice neck and are very fine sounding. Much underrated in my view.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modli...23585177732114
Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Count me as a Yairi fan. I regularly choose my Yairi WY1 over my Breedlove Focus SE, Martin OMJM and Taylor 612ce for gigs. The Yairi is the cheapest in the bunch but a great guitar.

I don't think it has quite the tone as the Breedlove and the Martin unplugged but you can dial in a great sound live and the thin neck lets you really romp up and down the neck when playing with a group.

Do not have any reservations about the quality. If you like the guitar then rest assured you're getting a good one.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

Last edited by Ruppster; 10-15-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:02 PM

I have an Alvarez AD710ce with the B-band dual pickup electronics. Spruce top with rosewood laminate back/sides -- should be a very similar build. It is one of my favorite acoustic-electric guitars.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 10-15-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM

They will have to pry my cold dead hands, off my Yairi, both of them.
Dan
Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I wish there was an NYC dealer who stocked these things; I saw one about 2 hrs away in CT; that's a do-able drive.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
They are laminate guitars, but Yairi does laminates w/ all layers of the tone wood as opposed to Mahogany or Rosewood veneer over a cheap filler wood.
Mr. Yairi does this for stability w/out losing too much tone. Essentially they are solid Mahogany or Rosewwood, but consisting of layers rather than one piece of wood.
Additionally, there are only 2 layers in this laminate and they are parallel grain. The tonal differences between this type of laminate and solid are very, very small. Kazuo Yairi began doing this in about 1975.

We love our Yairi instruments lol !
Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. I wish there was an NYC dealer who stocked these things; I saw one about 2 hrs away in CT; that's a do-able drive.
Here is a link to the Dealer Locator page of Alvarez's website. It shows 2 dealers in New York state. One in Hudson Falls and another in Gloversville.
I don't know how current their dealer list is, but you could give them a try:

http://www.alvarezguitars.com/dealer-locator

Here is another link to a search of New Jersey:

Here is a seaech of New York City:

Last edited by architype; 10-15-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
Here is a link to the Dealer Locator page of Alvarez's website. It shows 2 dealers in New York state. One in Hudson Falls and another in Gloversville.
I don't know how current their dealer list is, but you could give them a try:

Here is another link to a search of New Jersey:

Here is a seaech of New York City:

Thanks so much; the actual search results don't come through on the links, but I appreciate the help very much nonetheless! I used the dealer locater and made a bunch of calls this afternoon but couldn't find any in stock in NY, NYC, NJ or CT except for the one I previously mentioned.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire&Rain View Post
I have an Alvarez AD710ce with the B-band dual pickup electronics. Spruce top with rosewood laminate back/sides -- should be a very similar build. It is one of my favorite acoustic-electric guitars.
Fire&Rain,
Can you compare the sound and/or feel of the B-Band to any other systems in particular? Also, I love the way my Takamine's palathetic picks up percussive thumps on the body- how is the B-Band at this?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much; the actual search results don't come through on the links, but I appreciate the help very much nonetheless! I used the dealer locater and made a bunch of calls this afternoon but couldn't find any in stock in NY, NYC, NJ or CT except for the one I previously mentioned.
Finding an Alvarez dealer with a good selection of Yairis is like finding the Holy Grail. They are few and far between.
One dealer that I've seen online that seems to carry a few Yairis is Sabatur Pro Audio in Nashville, TN. Maybe it's time for a guitar trek to Nashville. You can easily spend several days there playing great guitars and taking in some of the sites.

Here: (They are showing a DY-70ce in stock)

http://www.sabaturproaudio.com/yairi...icguitars.html

You might also try Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta. They are a big Alvarez dealer, but I've never seen a Yairi listed on their website.

Here:

http://www.maplestreetguitars.com/index.php

Last edited by architype; 10-15-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Fire&Rain,
Can you compare the sound and/or feel of the B-Band to any other systems in particular? Also, I love the way my Takamine's palathetic picks up percussive thumps on the body- how is the B-Band at this?
I do not have enough experience with other systems to offer an opinion. The B-Band has dual pickups (under-saddle and under-top) that can be blended for the acoustic sound you desire. Their SYS 650 pre-amp also includes a 3-band EQ, and it comes with two output jacks (standard 1/4" pin and microphone type). I think it is pretty versatile even with a low end acoustic amp. Never tried percussive thumps...

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire&Rain View Post
I do not have enough experience with other systems to offer an opinion. The B-Band has dual pickups (under-saddle and under-top) that can be blended for the acoustic sound you desire. Their SYS 650 pre-amp also includes a 3-band EQ, and it comes with two output jacks (standard 1/4" pin and microphone type). I think it is pretty versatile even with a low end acoustic amp. Never tried percussive thumps...
Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion