The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-28-2024, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I’ve removed badges on my truck and used fishing line. Stronger than dental floss. I didn’t use heat but used a degreaser. Not sure how that would affect the guitar finish.

I have a week old Gibson Songwriter that I’d love to take off the pick guard. Am just too scared to try it.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Home Depot sells naphtha in OR (5 in stock at Hillsboro store) for $23.98 per gallon. A bit cheaper than StewMac $26.92 per quart.

Naphtha has many uses: thin enamel and varnish; brush cleaning, general cleaning/degreasing of guitars, prep for house trim painting, welding prep, tar removal from car paint, fuel for alcohol lamp/burner, etc. I find it to be a necessary consumable in the workshop.
When I was 16 and owned a 64 beetle, a friend worked for a gas station that had a Naptha pump in the back. It was manually operated and unguarded and unlocked. We would go at night and put a couple quarts in the VW in the hopes it would improve performance. I wonder if Naptha is still pumped in bulk this way?
Old 03-29-2024, 03:33 PM

Funny thing that it seems so hard to come by at your place. Over here in Germany many discounters and drugstores carry small tin cans of lighter fluid with that swinging plastic nozzle, just like the Zippo variety. (I use it since ages for my vintage Zippo without any problem.)
It's "Feuerzeugbenzin" in German, which is translated "lighter gasoline". I also bet that you could use ordinary fuel from the gas station just the same.

Those who have watched Wes Anderson's "Asteroid City" will know...
Old 03-30-2024, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

PSA - it’s naphtha, not ‘naptha’.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:32 PM

Default Pick guard removal

Just for information, i just removed the pickguard from my RK elite triple o. I used Clipper lighter fluid with no adverse effects, it worked great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair