The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleigh1 View Post
... I have brought five of these work's of art which is stunning !
...the only trouble is they are all starting to crack up and warp
Hi David...
First of all, welcome to our group. We are glad you joined, and I hope you can resolve your issues with the builder.

Are you humidifying the guitars properly now to prevent further damage?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Musical minimalist

I went to the OP's profile and clicked on his email address.....it showed a UK address, so I'm guessing a LACK of humidity probably isn't the problem?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
I know someone who has smoked 2 packs a day for 60 years and doesn't have cancer.
Doesn't have it Yet.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 AM

Is the build shoddy?, on guitars like this it often seems like it's bling over construction.I suspect you may not be the only person to experience issues with these guitars.

Last edited by westcountry1; 02-26-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 AM

Wow, some of you guys are being a bit insentive towards this person.
PRS SE Custom 24
Old 02-26-2009, 09:22 AM

Looking at these guitars on Ebay and previously seeing blueberry guitars I can only say what a shame Liberace isn't still with us to drop the piano schtick and take up the guitar instead.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
Wow, some of you guys are being a bit insentive towards this person.

No offense intended but I feel the faults are probably due to issues in the build rather than any fault on the part of the purchaser.Sounds like the guy selling them is not interested in customer service.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 AM

I bought some PRS truss rod covers and an inlaid control cavity cover from this guy over a year ago. The control cavity cover was so warped it wouldn't go on the guitar. The truss rod covers we're sized quite right but were close enough, but he didn't drill the screw holes. They were also warped. The wood was so dry that even after soaking the second one in water I couldn't drill the hole without it cracking. He sent new ones with the holes drilled but they sucked too. In the end I got my money back.

The guy sells junk, plain and simple.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

These types of problems (cracking) with both the Tsai and Wei guitars are fairly common from what I've heard. My understanding is that they are due to the instability of the woods they use. Apparently, aren't fully aged/dried/stablized so when the guitar comes to the US and starts to stablize the cracking occurs....at least that's what I've heard.

I don't think the OP has much recourse, I know others that have bought guitars from both of these guys haven't been able to get a satisfactory resolution and basically sold their guitars for whatever they could recoverb..
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleigh1 View Post
Hi,over the last five months I have brought five of these work's of art which is stunning ! they sound pritty good as well ,the only trouble is they are all starting to crack up and warp .Has any one else had any problems?
Bruce say's it's my fault !
David,
Consider that these guitars are built in a 3rd world country which doubtfully has any or even adequate humidity control. The wood was probably air dried to reach an equilibrium that is quite higher than your locale. Their environment is extremely humid there and guitars will probably be OK [IF] they live in a humid area of the world. I have bought a few inlays off of him and the inlay material is paper thin. That is not the problem but rather that the inlays were inlayed into wood that had WAYYYYYYYYY to much moisture in it. By the time it reached my shop here in the US it looked like a potato chip. I can only imagine the finished guitars will do the same in drier parts of the world.

Buyer be ware!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

are there reviews of his guitars on harmoney central? you can see if others are having the same problem

builders live off of reputation... he can say it's your fault... but it hurts his business at the end.

here's another thread i found:
http://www.phingerboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1610
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum...d.php?t=552680

there's a guy name "mark" on both threads, seemed to like it... lol. hello mark! o i mean bruce!

Last edited by banpreso; 02-26-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM

I'm sorry but that store looked pretty chincy from the pics. Anytime the seller only posts ONE pic of guitar (and only the back no less) I'd be worried.

If they don't stand by their work and blame the buyer - that's the sign of an amateur...fight for your money back brotha!
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM

a life lesson when it cmoes too musical instruments: you get what you pay for!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I went to the OP's profile and clicked on his email address.....it showed a UK address, so I'm guessing a LACK of humidity probably isn't the problem?
I wouldn't be too certain of that. In a centrally heated house at this time of year, it's something to keep an eye on.

Fliss
Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
Welcome to the forum, Davidleigh1.

Sorry to hear about your guitars As has been said, most builders will stand by their work if there are problems, but if the builder is based a long way from where you are, then even if they will do so, the cost of returning the guitar to get work carried out may be more than would be realistic, for the value of the guitars. Have you taken them to a local luthier to get them checked out?

Fliss
Thanks for the support ,I knew the Guitars needed setting up, new saddles, nuts etc which I like to do, but I didn't expect them to fall apart, anyway it's my loss , let this be a warning to those who are intrested.
I have photos if anyone is intrested.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion