The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Taylor - 214ce vs 314ce

(Introduction) I have in posession a Taylor 214ce, and a breedlove AD/25se plus. I bought both of them from GC about a week ago. I wanted to take them home and see which one I preferred and then return one of them. The salespeople at GC are telling me that the breedlove will kill the 214 when it comes to craftsmanship and tone. But I actually prefer the 214. The breedlove has very high action, even after adjustments of the truss rod. The tone of the breedlove is nice, but it's a bit too bassy and not enough brightness. I reached the decision to keep the Taylor because it has a brighter sound and I can get closer to the Concert style body. The action is better also and it has a perfect setup right out of the box.

(Here's the question) However, the taylor 214ce has only rosewood laminate sides and backing, whereas if I were to upgrade to the 314ce it is real wood all around. I'm worried that I will be content with the 214 now, but will be wanting the 314 in 6 months. What are everyone's thought on upgrading to the 314, is it worth the extra $$$?

Thanks for any advice.
Squier Strat - Black
Marshall Valvestate 275
Behringer V-Tone 30w Modeler (For Sale)
Boss and Crybaby Wah Pedals

Last edited by fenderman; 08-01-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:49 PM

Welcome Fenderman. If you think you will want it, get it. I did what you did, flopped and now am a GA3 owner. No looking back at that 214e which is a nice sounding player, but I KNEW it wouldn't stick.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:49 PM

Default Old model 214

This may not be too helpfull, but..........I have just bought a pre-2007 214 model (NOS) which has solid sapele back and sides and the ebony board and bridge of the 314, essentially the same guitar ! came at the same price as a laminate 214....would be very appealing at a second hand price !!!!
Eastman OM1
Ibanez M-340 Japan
Simon & Patrick SP12
Harmony mandolin
Old 08-01-2008, 03:02 PM

If you get the 214CE now, you will want the 314CE in six months. In six or seven more months you will want a 514CE. Sometime next year you will decide you want a prettier one and only an 814CE will do. Once you have it all upgraded with bone, you will decide you want a touch more bass and need a GS instead. After you tinker on that awhile, you will start to realize that since guitar is something you love, you might as well go large and will order an R Taylor made to your specs. That should be the end of it...but wait...what's this McPherson brand that people are always talking about?

That's how it works. Be warned!!!

Welcome to the AGF!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:06 PM

If you like the 314 but don't want to spend the extra cash on a brand new one, you can find a really nice used one for close to the price of a new 214. There are plenty out there if you look and have a little patience to find what you want. Check the for sale section of this forum and others and ebay (just be careful and know what you're looking at, most people have been fine with it.) I actually started out looking at the 214ce and ended up with a 414ce (used but in perfect condition). A lot of people buy guitars and decide that it's not what they are looking for, so take advantage of those deals. Just another option to think about!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:06 PM

It's actually worse than a hard drug addiction, more bloody expensive !!!!
Eastman OM1
Ibanez M-340 Japan
Simon & Patrick SP12
Harmony mandolin
Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 PM

To each his own, my favorite Taylor of all time is the 414ce!I have had many limiteds, 814's and 9 series. While they are all great guitars I keep finding myself wanting other tones. However the 414ce will be my keeper, another note if you were able to mute the Taylor all of my concert bodies felt exactly the same as far as playability! If you like the 214ce keep it and even if you get a 3 series you will want a 4, 5 GS, GA, Limited ETC.

Too many to list & changes to fast to maintain.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:35 PM

There's another side to this story:

As a former Guitar Center employee, I can tell you that a Breedlove AD25srPLUS puts more money in the salesperson's pocket. Although it and the 214ce sell for the same amount, the Breedlove will make the salesman between $50 to $60 commission, where the Taylor will only bring him about $35 to $45. It's a pay structure/commission thing.

Breedloves are pushed at GC because they have a higher profit margin. It doesn't mean they are bad guitars -- they are fine. But a GC salesman will almost always push you in the Breedlove direction if that's your price range.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you those are all very good suggestions. I think for now I just want to be comfortable knowing that my acoustic isn't half laminate, and I think I will go with the 314 to get that feeling. I see a few in good condition on eBay. I'll also check the sale section here at the AGF. I'm pretty sure I will get "addicted" as well like some mentioned, but hopefully te 314 will hold me down for a few more months than if I kept the 214. Thanks again. Any other input is still welcome.
Squier Strat - Black
Marshall Valvestate 275
Old 08-01-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
If you get the 214CE now, you will want the 314CE in six months. In six or seven more months you will want a 514CE. Sometime next year you will decide you want a prettier one and only an 814CE will do. Once you have it all upgraded with bone, you will decide you want a touch more bass and need a GS instead. After you tinker on that awhile, you will start to realize that since guitar is something you love, you might as well go large and will order an R Taylor made to your specs. That should be the end of it...but wait...what's this McPherson brand that people are always talking about?

That's how it works. Be warned!!!

Welcome to the AGF!
lol! luckily, I saved myself the first few steps and slid right into an 814
Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 PM

Welcome to the the forum! I would always go solid wood if I had the chance! I would upgrade to the 314

Commissioned
Doerr Legacy Select African Blackwood/ Swiss (2011)
Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 PM

Welcome Fenderman, from another new guy here! I made the mistake of getting a Martin DXK2 (all HPL, no real wood here). At first I was ok with it and liked it. But now, armed with some knowledge from this forum, a little experience playing in church worship service and a serious case of GAS, I would have to say save yourself the time, worry and hassle, GET REAL WOOD!
Good luck with your next guitar!
Will
Old 08-02-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Found One

Well I found one online for a decent price used. It is a 2005 edition, only it's a "Taylor 314CE LTD Legends of the Fall KOA". Right now I am clueless as to how it differs from the regular 314ce. Hopefully I can find some info on it in the AGF.
Squier Strat - Black
Marshall Valvestate 275
Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM

I have a 214ce and am perfectly happy with it! I shopped around for an acoustic for quite awhile and would have spent the bucks on any guitar that just felt good to me and played well. Wee generally that's what happened with the 214ce I picked up. The look, feel and sound all fit the bill..I know there have been many posts on laminate in this forum but hey...in my mind the guitar sounds great! Looks great and the topping was it came with a really nice hardshell case! There's a distinct look when it comes to Taylor and I think that's what drew me to this guitar...I'm happy with it!

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015
Old 08-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderman View Post
Well I found one online for a decent price used. It is a 2005 edition, only it's a "Taylor 314CE LTD Legends of the Fall KOA". Right now I am clueless as to how it differs from the regular 314ce. Hopefully I can find some info on it in the AGF.

Have a look a Buffalo Brothers website.They have 2 used at nice prices.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion