The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2024, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Looks to me like Andy Powers dropped by the factory in Nazareth for a cup of coffee?

Like others have said I applaud Martin for trying something new. Especially the "sustainable" part. I'd like to hear what it sounds like.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-09-2024, 08:41 AM

I'm a sucker. I want one.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I think it actually looks great (Would like a full body shot of it, though). But it all comes down to the sound. I would certainly like to try it. Maybe I'll win the contest?
Old 01-09-2024, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
That's a specific spruce species then? News to me. I'm surprised that the EU allows that name to be used if not grown in the EU. Like Champagne you know.
Yep, all these trees are just strains/gene pools. Many have migrated and grow where they are not native. Cole Clark, the great Australian brand, is making guitars with California Redwood....which was transplanted decades ago and now grows in the forests of Australia.

In the lumber biz, we call this specific one Norway/wegian Spruce. It's probably one of the most responsible spruces Martin could use as it grows in the mountains of Ohio and Pennsylvania and up into Canada in eastern North America. Sitka comes from the West Coast from California all the way up to Alaska...those are long trips, which sorta goes against the FSC principles regarding environmental protection and sustainability, etc.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:02 AM

I will definitely be interested to hear it put through its paces. I did raise my eyebrow a bit at the part of the write-up that extolled Martin's "commitment to innovation", but hey, I'm all for them trying new things.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I wish them a lot of luck with this guitar. Martin has never had much success with a higher in GPC. Maybe this guitar will lend some sexiness to the GPC line.

And I do think this guitar is innovative. A maple GPC with a new bracing system is a lot. I like the GPC shape. I'll be looking to try one, and if I like it, I'll be looking to buy one!
Old 01-09-2024, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
,,,I'm surprised that the EU allows that name to be used if not grown in the EU. Like Champagne you know.
The name is the species - doesn't matter where it grows. Like a Japanese Cherry tree, or a Canada Goose.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-09-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The name is the species - doesn't matter where it grows. Like a Japanese Cherry tree, or a Canada Goose.
Well here it's "Sparkling White Spruce."
Old 01-09-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I have never been a fan of a 3-piece back, but different woods make it even less to my taste. IMO, Taylor and Martin went to the same Hype 101 class in business school.

I don't mind a 3 piece back if done well, but that looks terrible to me. It is like you did not have a set big enough so you grabbed whatever extra wood you had in your shop. I think the Maple and Walnut do not belong together and wonder why they did that. Maple is certainly easy enough to come by in big enough pieces for a 2 piece back, heck if you wanted a 3 piece, use another piece of Maple, but then again, Martin must have thought they could build it without asking my opinion...go figure.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:33 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I don't mind a 3 piece back if done well, but that looks terrible to me. It is like you did not have a set big enough so you grabbed whatever extra wood you had in your shop. I think the Maple and Walnut do not belong together and wonder why they did that. Maple is certainly easy enough to come by in big enough pieces for a 2 piece back, heck if you wanted a 3 piece, use another piece of Maple, but then again, Martin must have thought they could build it without asking my opinion...go figure.
According to the video it was done to "warm up" the maple.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
European spruce top.

Hey...after all...

"The Hills Are Alive With The Sound Of Music"

And besides, a vast group of us US citizens' family ancestral roots come from Europe, sooooo, it's a domestic ancestral wood...anywho {;-)

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-09-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
The question becomes, is there anything they might have announced that you would NOT want?
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-09-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintClarence27 View Post
Well here it's "Sparkling White Spruce."
I see what you did there...

Cheers!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-09-2024, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I wish them a lot of luck with this guitar. Martin has never had much success with a higher in GPC. Maybe this guitar will lend some sexiness to the GPC line.

And I do think this guitar is innovative. A maple GPC with a new bracing system is a lot. I like the GPC shape. I'll be looking to try one, and if I like it, I'll be looking to buy one!

I have to revise my post above. I thought of this while I was shoveling out my mailbox.

If I like the GPC Inception, I'll be the first in line at the Custom Shop to order a Grand Jumbo Inception!!
Old 01-09-2024, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
According to the video it was done to "warm up" the maple.
This to me seems like something even Andy Powers would have a hard time saying with a straight face. I would love to see the tests they did comparing all-maple backs with backs with walnut centers to determine that the backs with walnut were demonstrably warmer sounding. They go out of their way to trash maple as a tonewood for guitars—it’s almost as if maple is unsuitable without routed sonic channels, skeletonized braces, a walnut center strip and a smaller soundhole.

I’d be curious to hear how the braces and channels sound on a regular guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion