The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2022, 09:13 PM

Default Bridge Pin Taper Calculation

This is really playing with my head. I have to be missing something very simple. Help me!
Measurements of my bridge pin are: diameter below skirt is 5 mm, diameter at the other end is 4 mm, and 22 mm long from the bottom of the skirt to the end of the pin.
When I enter those numbers into a taper calculator, I get 1.30º angle for an answer. That's not even close to a 3º or a 5º pin. What am I doing wrong. It's driving me nuts!
Thanks........Dave.......PS...this is a link to the calculator. https://calculator.academy/taper-calculator/

Also, one site I was looking on said that 3º pins were the most commom, but pretty well every pin that I saw on StewMac is 5º. It doesn't make sense to me. But then a lot of things don't make sense to me.
Mackenzie & Marr "Tofino X" OM (cedar/mahogany)
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Bourgeois Advanced Slope D,
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar
Fender PM-2 Parlor All Mahogany
Old 03-09-2022, 10:22 PM

That taper calc is giving taper per side. Use TA = arctan(T) for usual pin taper nomenclature.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
That taper calc is giving taper per side. Use TA = arctan(T) for usual pin taper nomenclature.
Exactly! You double that 1.30 for a total of 2.6 degrees....basically 3 degrees

I have invested heavily in Bridge Pins...Probably could have bought a inexpensive guitar for what I have invested. I even modify them by adding center cores of brass and copper. Lots of fun.

But I went through the exact same configurations as you...until I finally figured out..that I was measuring One half of the bridge pin. Two triangles together make up your total degrees.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:10 AM

Thanks for that. It's much appreciated, and makes perfect sense.
Just one more thing. Those measurements that I have would indicate the pin has a 3º taper, so that would be the ideal pin size. I looked through all StewMac's pins they have listed in their catalogue, and they're all 5º pins. I haven't done a lot of looking around yet for 3º pins, but if StewMacs catalogue is any indication, the choices of 3º pins is going to be limited. I'm not all that familiar with the details, but would a 5º pin work properly in a 3º hole? If it was the other way around, I guess I could ream the 5º hole to accept a 3º pin. I'm so confused! What should my next move be? Any opinions? That's a pretty nice selection of Waverly pins at StewMac.
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster
Old 03-10-2022, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solina Dave View Post
Thanks for that. It's much appreciated, and makes perfect sense.
Just one more thing. Those measurements that I have would indicate the pin has a 3º taper, so that would be the ideal pin size. I looked through all StewMac's pins they have listed in their catalogue, and they're all 5º pins. I haven't done a lot of looking around yet for 3º pins, but if StewMacs catalogue is any indication, the choices of 3º pins is going to be limited. I'm not all that familiar with the details, but would a 5º pin work properly in a 3º hole? If it was the other way around, I guess I could ream the 5º hole to accept a 3º pin. I'm so confused! What should my next move be? Any opinions? That's a pretty nice selection of Waverly pins at StewMac.
You really should use a 3 degree pin.
And there are several places to buy good pins. And Lots and lots of options.
Too easy to make a mistake reaming. And once done..you can't go back.

The best in my opinion is https://custominlay.com/shop

They also have a bridge pin chart, as there are a couple of different Options for 3 degree pins. They pins will run you about $30 and $9 dollar for shipping. Very high quality.

For a less expensive option you can find Pins from $6 to $20 at LMII. Can't remember what the shipping cost is.
https://www.lmii.com/search?controll...&s=Bridge+Pins
Old 03-10-2022, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Check out Bob Colosi here - http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Great products and a very nice, helpful guy to deal with. He has a table of pin-sizes on his ‘Products’ page - scroll down.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-10-2022, 08:13 AM

If you just want basic pins at a reasonable price, check out Luthier’s Mercantile.

https://www.lmii.com/search?controll...&s=Bridge+pins
Old 03-10-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solina Dave View Post

I looked through all StewMac's pins they have listed in their catalogue, and they're all 5º pins. I haven't done a lot of looking around yet for 3º pins, but if StewMacs catalogue is any indication, the choices of 3º pins is going to be limited.
Yeah for some reason StewMac sells 5-degree pins. Presumably their customers only work on Martins.

LMIi (Luthier's Mercantile) has a nice large selection of both 3 and 5 degree pins. (as linked already)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-10-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
LMIi (Luthier's Mercantile) has a nice large selection of both 3 and 5 degree pins. (as linked already)
Yeah, I was looking at that supplier's site. A pretty good selection at reasonable prices.
"Guitars from the past"
Gibson ES-347
Martin D-41
1964 Fender Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion