The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2022, 05:40 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I just put a set of Curt Mangan PB roundcore 13-56 on my Furch Yellow. I like the way they feel and sound.

I also put a set on my Avalon. Here is a demo of the strings. The first guitar is the Avalon.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-08-2022, 05:42 PM

Btw..:.strings and beyond are offering free shipping on elixirs this month, just sayin if that’s ok to say

“The guitar’s all very well as a hobby, John, but you’ll never make a living out of it.”
Old 03-08-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick101 View Post
I’m pretty much a fan of straight up strings.
Me too. Great for the guitar I flat pick (Collings) and for most of the guitars I use for finger style…with one important exception: they sounded pretty bad on my Goodall Grand Concert. On that guitar, Elixirs sound much better, and DR Sunbeams sound best.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:26 PM

Specifically for fingerstyle, I've tried GHS Silk and Bronze, DR Sunbeams and DR Rares. All good choices, and they played quite well. But for me the winner so far is Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum. I prefer the 11-50 for the wonderful tone and low tension. I have a set of Retros waiting to try, based on a lot of folks here who love them.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:29 PM

I play only fingerpicking with flesh.

I use GHS Vintage Bronze, or John Pearse Silk and Phosphor bronze .012 on my OM-28A (long scale, rosewood).

I use GHS Silk and Bronze .11 on my Santa Cruz 00 EIR/Adi.

I use GHS Silk and Bronze .11 or Martin retro on my Martin CEO-7.

Ll.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
Specifically for fingerstyle, I've tried GHS Silk and Bronze, DR Sunbeams and DR Rares. All good choices, and they played quite well. But for me the winner so far is Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum. I prefer the 11-50 for the wonderful tone and low tension. I have a set of Retros waiting to try, based on a lot of folks here who love them.
Same here, I like DR Sunbeams and GHS Silk and Bronze but usually end up with TI Plectrums. However, I prefer the heavier strings (12-56?) tuned down half a step for easy playability and a warm, rich, and even tone.
Christian
Old 03-08-2022, 08:14 PM

What RLetson said. Ask the question of James Taylor, Tommy Emmanuel, Eric Clapton, Leo Kottke, Alex de Grasse, Doyle Dykes….. and you’ll get that many answers. For me, the process for every different guitar I play with is to rotate 4-5 of my favorite string sets on each new guitar and see what works best, on that guitar, for me. Unfortunately, there is no one great string for any one playing style.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:16 PM

I use elixirs on my acoustics and find they're terrific for both flatpicking and finger style that's why I keep buying them, especially when there's ebayers out there selling them dirt cheap. I'm a huge phosphor bronze fan and elixirs just suit my Matons so nicely.

Although don't look past John Pearse strings either. I was watching an interview with Tommy Emmanuel talking about strings and he stated that he's quite the JP fan. Eric Johnson loves D'Addario EJ16's because he feels they're consistent and always intonate very well. some choices to consider =)
Old 03-09-2022, 07:07 AM

Like Barry, I use Curt Mangan phosphor bronze mediums (on my Martin). I use the same brand and type in 12's on my Eastman E2OM-CD. I like Ernie Ball aluminum bronze 13's on my Gold Tone round neck resonator. I'm using Curt Mangan monel 13's on my Eastman archtop.

I play both finger style (finger tip flesh, not nails) and flat pick on all my guitars.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post

I think you’ll love the Retros, even if you go with 10’s — no loss of tone, and wonderfully low tension.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 03-09-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I prefer to stay away from mediums, that's about it.
I agree. I think unless we're going for big volume and strong attack with fingerpicks a-la Gary Davis, I can't see the value of mediums.

An issue that many fingerstyle players face is the comparatively dull sound that fingers or fingers+nail make as compared to the articulate sound we get with a pick. Recently, I came upon La Bella Golden Alloy - I use the 11-52 gauge - and I'm really impressed with the sparkle these produce. I don't think I'll be buying anything but these for my flattop acoustics for some time to come.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Been using GHS thin core 12-52. I prefer round core. In my stupid mind ,I feel that round core are easier to play, as opposed to hex.
Yes these are now my preferred strings on my OM. I find it's not hard to find strings that sound good but these GHS Thin Cores not only sound good, are durable and they play well meaning they are a bit easier to fret a and a little easier on the fingers.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:01 AM

For me, it depends on the instrument, I mean the tone I want.
Here are my present settings based on my trials (0,012")

Eastman AC122ce D'AddarioEXP
Seagull Performer D'Addario EJ-16
Gibson L-00TV D'Addario EXP-16
Larrivée OM-09 JohnPearse
Guild F-30 ernie ball Al/Br (0,013" for CGDG(A/C)D tunings)
Taylor 322 ernie ball Al/Br
Martin 000-18 MSP4100
Alvarez AP66ESB D'Addario EJ-16
Martin OODB Jeff Tweedy Martin Retro Light
Taylor 412ce D'Addario Ni/Br
Old 03-09-2022, 10:49 AM

I really like the Martin Retros in light gauge. But be warned they can take up to a week to Settle in and sound good. Have faith. When you first put them on they will sound awful but keep pushing through and you will be rewarded.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion