The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2022, 02:51 PM

Default Best strings for fingerstyle acoustic?

It’s been nearly a year now since I got my Furch Yellow but only maybe 3 or 4 months since my local guitar guy switched the strings out on them. It came with Elixir strings originally, and when I had it setup by my acoustic guy he fitted them with D’addario lights. They’re okay, I actually think the Elixirs sounded better, but for anyone that plays fingerstyle, or maybe even anyone that plays on an expensive guitar heh, what strings do you usually fit yours with?
Old 03-08-2022, 02:56 PM

I like D'Addario XS. Try lights as well as custom lights, and decide between them.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:57 PM

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of suggestions, but Elixirs are a pretty safe bet.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM

Try some out. Let your fingers and ears tell you.

The fact that I prefer GHS or D'addario phosphor bronze lights or GHS silk & bronze on my Goodall and Guild doesn't mean that you will like them on your Furch. Or maybe you will. Your ears, your hands, your guitar.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:26 PM

The answer to any and all string questions is Martin Retro 12s.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:25 PM

I’m 98% finger-style. I love Martin Retro 10’s on my short scale and long scale guitars.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 03-08-2022, 04:41 PM

I play fingerstyle about 95% of the time. I am really liking the D'addario nickel-bronze balanced tension set. But it is truly subjective. You may not like what I like and vice versa.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Starkiller View Post
The answer to any and all string questions is Martin Retro 12s.
"any and all" is a broad statement , they literally sucked the life out of a spruce over rosewood parlor that I have. I like the Retros on other guitars that I consider good for fingerstyle.

I like D'Addario EJ16's, or John Pearse 610LM PB and Silk Wound on small body fingerstyle guitars. It's worth experimenting to find something that matches what you are looking for.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:09 PM

I prefer to stay away from mediums, that's about it.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-08-2022, 05:09 PM

I’m pretty much a fan of straight up strings.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:12 PM

Best strings for fingerstyle acoustic?

100% fingerpicker here and I use my nails as picks.

I favor the Elixir brand exclusively, and my favorite gauge is PB HD Lights, .013 - .053 . It is Medium gauge trebles with Light gauge bass strings. I use 'em on most of my six stringers from both small body Taylor Grand Concerts to large body Taylor Grand Orchestra and all three J-200s.

Both 12 strings use Elixir 12 string Lights, while my Walnut Jumbo sounds best with Mediums, and the Alvarez likes Lights.

Been using them for some years now, after now playing for over 55 years and trying out most of what's out there in brand and gauge. But overall, Elixirs have been my go-to for years now.

I used Mediums and Medium variants on my larger body guitars, but when I got my first Grand Concert it was strung with these HD Light gauge strings. Really liked the +.001 bump to the tone of the treble strings (.013, .017, and .025), paired with Light gauge bass strings ('032, '042, and .053).

I always liked guitars with a well balanced sound. Since that gauge worked with a small body, at some point I tried it with a large body. I think was the rosewood Grand Orchestra, which can naturally produce a quite compelling bass sound. Liked it with the HDs so much I tried 'em on everything, but realized a couple tries didn't work as well. But they still have Elixirs. The large bodied guitars don't need any help with the bass, and the normally large body bass sound now seemed to blend in the Lighter strings on bass with the HDs very nicely with those Medium HD trebles. And my old hands liked the overall reduction in tension too.

And one more thing. It's not just the sound, but the Elixirs, especially those HD trebles, feel great on my fingers when playing.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-08-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
"any and all" is a broad statement , they literally sucked the life out of a spruce over rosewood parlor that I have. I like the Retros on other guitars that I consider good for fingerstyle.

I like D'Addario EJ16's, or John Pearse 610LM PB and Silk Wound on small body fingerstyle guitars. It's worth experimenting to find something that matches what you are looking for.

Actually I do retract that haha. I put them on a Huss and Dalton Tom-m and it was awful.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Finding your preferred string sets for a particular guitar primarily depends on the instrument, the musical genres you play, your right hand technique and your personal aesthetic preference.

The only way to do that, at least for me, is to try many different string sets on the particular guitar, takes notes and decide for yourself. This takes quite a bit of time. Say you try 10 different sets. It's helpful to leave the strings on the guitar long enough to experience their new, middle and end life phases. Doing this for 10 sets can easily take well over a year.

All that being said, and being a fingerstyle player myself (flesh and nail - several genres), I can suggest several sets to make up that group of ten (in no particular order):

Santa Cruz Parabolic
D'Addario XS
Thomastik-Infled (Spectrums and/or Plectrums)
One of the Retro/Monel type string sets
A PB/silk set
A PB flatwound set (e.g., D'Addario Flat Tops or Magma PB flatwounds)
Some 80/20 sets (coated and/or non-coated)
A few inexpensive non-coated sets (e.g, John Pearse, Martin, D'Addario, GHS)

It's an enjoyable journey. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2022, 05:37 PM

Been using GHS thin core 12-52. I prefer round core. In my stupid mind ,I feel that round core are easier to play, as opposed to hex.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:37 PM

I play sans plectrum and prefer elixir nanoweb lights. Tried the D’Addario x’s and found them to be dull on my rosewood. Also like it that the elixirs sound 1 week old for four months

“The guitar’s all very well as a hobby, John, but you’ll never make a living out of it.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion