The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2022, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I think the big thing is...a current 000-15 could likely be a Mahogany top and Sipo back and sides...

So this is over 2k of "bling?"
That’s the take-home, right there. ^^^
Old 03-08-2022, 05:22 PM

Yeah, I’m a bit confused what makes it a 16 as opposed to a 15. Seems like a really cool 000-15. Expensive, but cool.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:11 PM

From time to time Elderly gets prototype/experimental guitars from Martin. These are made to try out new designs, woods, finishes etc.... They are typically made by the best people Martin has to offer and they obviously don't let the ones that don't live up to expectations leave the factory. Sometimes they're pretty standard guitars with a couple small tweaks and sometimes they're like this one, with a whole bunch of non-standard features. I personally love that these guitars get out into the world and would definitely like to play this one.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Maybe I'm just cheap but I don't see why that case should cost $600 either. Is there something special about it other than being Martin-branded?
From what I understand, the 500 series cases are built like tanks—5-ply plywood instead of 3-ply, etc. Not saying they’re worth $600. I was just pointing out that the case that comes with this guitar is the same one that comes with the most expensive Martins (above the 28 & 35 Series) and way above what comes on a standard-issue 16 Series guitar. Whoever spec’ed this guitar thought it deserved a top-of-the-line case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
Yeah, I’m a bit confused what makes it a 16 as opposed to a 15. Seems like a really cool 000-15. Expensive, but cool.
Good question. Based on the description on TSP’s website, it appears that the 1-Series bracing is basically the same as on a current 15 Series. The only thing I can think of is what I mentioned a while back, that the 16 series has been the catch-all series for experimental designs.

Not all 16 Series guitars were budget guitars. I’m thinking of the 0-16 NYs, some of which had natural tops with color similar to this guitar.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:47 AM

I'm with the OP on this one. In fact, I don't understand 75% of what Martin makes (and the attached retail price) these days. Leaning hard on the name on the headstock in my opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion