The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2022, 02:07 PM

I wasn't trying to be. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone underestimates something, or overestimates something. It's called being human. Search on YouTube for "Work Fails" and you will see video after video of people doing stupid stuff at work...but I will tell you that those people were making a choice that seemed logical to them "at the time". As my boss used to say, the difference between a good decision and the correct decision is "time". I teach human performance evaluation and you would not believe the stuff I have seen people do, all with the sincerest motives.

I've made plenty of bad decisions, bad choices, or had bad choices thrust upon me. For example, when I was younger, there were several instances when my mother made my father take me to the store to get something because "she was in her housecoat" and my father was drunk (VERY drunk), so she needed someone (me) to go into the store and pick up something. I am VERY lucky that I am still alive and that my father never had an accident or was picked up my the police for DUI. All because she didn't want to get dressed and my dad was too stupid not to drink. Yeah, we can all be stupid. Some of us just get lucky when we are.

I've personally put too much dirt in the back of a Yukon (50- 50 lb bags..2500 lbs). Had I needed to swerve or brake suddenly, it would have been bad. It's one of the reasons I have a real truck that can do stuff like this now.

As I said, we all get the case of the stupids at time. It's what makes us human.

My apologies if my previous post offended you. It was not my intent or desire.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 03-08-2022, 02:43 PM

Thing about brand value is its just as easily lost if you get sloppy... It should come as no surprise that Martin had to up their custom shop game several years back as well healed players began moving more and more into custom single luthier builds, interesting woods and binding etc - the quality of which meant they no longer lost 50% of value the day after you bought one... now many increase in value given lead times and closed order books.

Ultimately quality and variety of tones wins out for musicians, whereas brand names seem more the obsession of collectors.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:09 PM

Op here...story behind the thread (names kept the same to protect no one)

I have and acquaintance who let on that she took a year off from life to record an album (it was on her bucket list). She hired a producer and musicians and self produced an album. I had no idea she sang or played and instrument. I asked her “what do you play?” She replied “a Martin”. I said, no, I meant what instrument do you play, not what brand.

A few years ago my sons band mates came to stay at our house for a beach weekend. We all grabbed an acoustic and went out by the fire pit. Coincidentally the lead guitarist had my crappy Yamaha. I said Johnny, here use my guild, I’ll use that piece of firewood. He said nah, didn’t matter to him. He made it sound like I’ve never heard it sound.

Imagine that.

“The guitar’s all very well as a hobby, John, but you’ll never make a living out of it.”
Old 03-08-2022, 03:59 PM

.. but how would we know who had the most expensive guitar??
Old 03-08-2022, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
.. but how would we know who had the most expensive guitar??
Easy Russ, the fake Rolex gives them away!
Old 03-08-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
And it begs the next song in the 70s play list. It’s one you all know and it only has two chords:

“Oh I played in the desert on a guitar with no name…”
I've recently come to the conclusion that America (the band) is one of the most under-rated bands. We think of them one song at a time, and most of us never realize that all of those "one song"s add up to quite a catalog!

"Horse with No Name"
"Sister Golden Hair"
"All The Lonely People
"Tin Man"
"Ventura Highway"
"You Can Do Magic"
"Daisy Jane"
"I Need You"

Just think that there are (at least) 8 chances that you'll hear a song by America if you button push on your car's radio on any given day. They were a LOT more proficient than some of the 1 and 2 hit bands that people sometimes lump them in with.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

…I honestly don’t know where this whole idea of guitar snobbery comes from….pretty much everyone I’ve played with has never cared what someone else was playing…..it’s always been about the player not the guitar…..

…..I think we read too much into brand loyalty….and the appreciation of expensive items in general…..folks who can afford to acquire top shelf guitars are gonna want to talk about how great they are….the guitars not themselves.….implying that they care what brand guitars others are playing is conjecture….they just like what they have….and they feel some sort of kinship with others who play the same make and model….

…this forum is as all inclusive as you’re likely to find….and we collectively play an astounding assortment of guitars that range from guitars found in a dumpster to holy cow crazy fine guitars……and we all seem to love em…..imagine that!!…
Old 03-09-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…I honestly don’t know where this whole idea of guitar snobbery comes from

…this forum is as all inclusive as you’re likely to find….and we collectively play an astounding assortment of guitars that range from guitars found in a dumpster to holy cow crazy fine guitars……and we all seem to love em…..imagine that!!…

Your comments are so upbeat, positive and magnanimous that I initially took them as sarcasm.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…I honestly don’t know where this whole idea of guitar snobbery comes from….pretty much everyone I’ve played with has never cared what someone else was playing…..it’s always been about the player not the guitar…..

…..I think we read too much into brand loyalty….and the appreciation of expensive items in general…..folks who can afford to acquire top shelf guitars are gonna want to talk about how great they are….the guitars not themselves.….implying that they care what brand guitars others are playing is conjecture….they just like what they have….and they feel some sort of kinship with others who play the same make and model….

This! I don’t think I’ve ever read ANY posts where someone who has expensive guitars is downing people playing inexpensive guitars! Now, I’ve read countless posts directed the other way!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion