The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2022, 02:03 AM

We have a Boston Terrier and an American Amstaff Terrier. They both wonder into the 'guitar room' and listen for a bit before leaving, but are always on the lookout for what they think might be a treat. They also expect me to hand out a treat once in a while. I recently offered them a brass slide, but they sniffed it and left! They show no interest in a guitar at all.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:35 AM

I have been lucky, knock on wood, that our1 year old 65lb mutt (part Anatolian Sheppard, Golder retriever, and about a dozen other things) has not chewed up a single thing.
She is quite wild and likes sing when I play (especially the banjo) but quite easy in the music room. When she "sings" she just sits there and wags her tail as she howls.

Various stringed instruments
Old 03-07-2022, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

LMAO at these posts!! Sounds like I might have gotten off easy. So yes, Zamboni was named after the infamous Ice Machine...inspired by the Zamboni driver who was called into action at an NHL hockey game when the reserve goalie was injured. He is just a wild puppy, filled with energy. My only other concern is he likes to get my attention when I am playing my guitar...I have literally held my guitar over my head to prevent him from scratching it. He is in training classes and will soon enough, grow out of it.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:36 AM

Someone out there must have had their guitar chewed by their loving doggy,I cannot believe dogs are so discerning as to leave guitars and only eat picks and straps.So come on own up Ha Ha
Old 03-07-2022, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

OP said lesson learned.

But didn't say which lesson.

For me the lesson would be, Not to buy $25.00 picks

Hmmmmmm
Old 03-07-2022, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
OP said lesson learned.

But didn't say which lesson.

For me the lesson would be, Not to buy $25.00 picks

Hmmmmmm
Well, one of the picks was a "thin" Casein. It was magic. No explanation, don't understand the mojo, it just made my guitars sound that much better. Another is in my future.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proclaimer888 View Post
Well, one of the picks was a "thin" Casein. It was magic. No explanation, don't understand the mojo, it just made my guitars sound that much better. Another is in my future.
After reading about "Casein" I can definately understand why a dog might appreciate its "mojo"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein

From Wikipedia:
"Some of the earliest plastics were based on casein. In particular, galalith was well known for use in buttons. Fiber can be made from extruded casein."

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-07-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Good photo!

Have you read the Chet and Bernie books?

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/ch...nie-mysteries/

My guitars get fully inspected! No guitars or gear have been damaged but the so called indestructible balls from the pet shop have taken a beating! (I should post a photo on the ball Pet Shop site!)

BluesKing777.
Thanks for the link and I'll investigate!

Back at cha on the "Official guitar inspector" photo. I took Toby's photo with the caption to post on the official "Dog Shaming" website. For those of us who enjoy the canine persuasion it's a very entertaining website to commiserate with others who have "troubled souls" living with us.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Ha! Lesson learned with your doggy... heck, I'd get in touch with Scott at Charmed Life Picks and tell him what happened... wouldn't surprise me if you either got a free pick or a great price on replacements!

My first Boston Terrier, Piper Otis Jones, taught me that she needed some "guidance" when it came to musical/PA/cords, etc... I didn't get her until she was 8 months old, and at the time, I lived in a house with a huge front room, where I could set up my Bose PA and my electric amplifiers, all in one corner of that room... nice, out of the way, a good spot for my guitars to be out on stands, ready to go.

So I go over to play my string acoustic through the PA and sing a little, and Piper comes along to check things out... she's not paying any undue attention to any gear or guitars, so I go ahead and plug in and start to play... getting into it, closing my eyes and letting the music take me away...

When I feel something like having a fish on a line... it takes me only about 5" to open my eyes and look around... and in those 5", Piper had gotten through nearly all of a heavy-duty Monster "studio" cable! All the way through the outer wrap, through the second wrap, down to the insulated wires... fortunately, the cable still functioned, and I still use it today (this was 13 years ago).

I was VERY firm and probably even yelled at her or spanked her butt... and from then on,. she wouldn't go near that corner with all the music gear...

When I brought my second Boston Terrorist, Eve, home at 9 weeks, the first three months were spent teaching her, showing her the ropes in my little home... and she never did get interested in any of my guitars or cables or such, although I've had to caution her about giving the guitars a lick, now and then...!

I guess I'm lucky with that... she loves to chew, but stays with her own chew toys consistently.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-07-2022, 05:37 PM

The worst I've had is when my dog Zeke comes to my lap for attention.
Sometimes as his last move, he shakes his head and throws slobber bombs back and forth.
If my guitar is in its stand next to me, I have to clean it off immediately.
That stuff's like glue when it dries.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Thanks for the link and I'll investigate!

Back at cha on the "Official guitar inspector" photo. I took Toby's photo with the caption to post on the official "Dog Shaming" website. For those of us who enjoy the canine persuasion it's a very entertaining website to commiserate with others who have "troubled souls" living with us.
Thanks for the Dog Shaming link - that is funny...I think......with someone else's dog....

BluesKing777.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

My dog will eat anything including my Peterson clip on $60 tuner
Old 03-08-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proclaimer888 View Post
So my Pyrenees/Boxer pup, Zambonie loves to chew?? Go figure. [/QUOTE

Yep. That’s what puppies do.

“…. somehow, two of my Charmed Life Casein picks ended up in the wrong location at the wrong time. They were in a small zip bag and my boy decided it was too much to resist.
Somehow, I feel, that’s not the dog’s fault. So, after careful review, the call on the field has been reversed - no bad dog.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollingsPicker View Post
Somehow, I feel, that’s not the dog’s fault. So, after careful review, the call on the field has been reversed - no bad dog.
Upon carful consideration, I agree CollingsPicker!! LMAO as I type. Zamboni shall no longer be shamed for the destruction of my picks. It is I who needs to be shamed as I lost track of where the bag was....most likely on the floor when Zambo found it. I pray to the Casein Pick Fairy for forgiveness. Zambo, you are outa time-out!!!!
Old 03-09-2022, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

We live in a Mediterranean climate and keep the doors open most days so the dogs can come and go as they please. The little ten-year old beagle is not much of a threat to anything. The three year old Rez heeler (DNA'd as part Australian cattle dog, part border collie and Heinz 57 of hounds and herding dogs) can be a terror. I have had some disconcerting moments when I left a guitar on a stand while I went to the fridge for a cold drink and heard a sudden THUMP on the porch. I know she is coming in at full speed, the only question is what else is she bringing in the house?

If it is the big rubber ball with the long rope, look out! She will run through the house at full speed swinging that thing like a medieval knight swing a mace ball at the end of a chain!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 11.03.49 AM.jpg (77.9 KB, 21 views)
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion