The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2022, 02:57 AM

Default how often do you change the strings?

Using the guitar about 7 hours a week, when do you change the strings?
do you wait until they are already very worn?

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 03-06-2022, 03:24 AM

Are they coated strings or uncoated strings? I used to have Martin SP (uncoated strings). Usually one hour per day, then a set can survive around 2 months. I keep using string oil after playing and wrap them with cotton cloth. YMMV

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 03-06-2022, 03:52 AM

There's no right answer to this question. Change your strings when they need changing. You'll hear when this is. String life depends on a number of factors including how often you play the guitar and how you affect your strings. I'd normally wash my hands before playing so my strings tend to last a little longer.

I have a friend that has very sweaty hands and will kill strings almost immediately upon touching them.

If I'm gigging a lot I'll change my strings before every gig to eliminate the risks of breaking a string. I also like that bright crisp sound a new set of Phospher Bronze eliminates. Some prefer a more toned down sound.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:25 AM

I always use phosphor bronze (D'addario and John Pearse) except on one of the guitars that Martin Retro Monel used. My hands don't sweat, but as you say, when they start to lose their shine I feel like changing them. It's to get an idea.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 03-06-2022, 05:29 AM

I find that Straight Up Strings last about three months for me. I play 10-15 hours a week. They sound good for most of that time, but I start encountering intonation problems after about 3 months.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:44 AM

I usually wait until the bass strings start to sound thumpy.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I definitely let mine go too long. At some point I'll notice they seem kind of grungy looking and they've lost their 'shine'. Tonally, they'll also deteriorate but even still it's when I start to notice they won't hold tune well, almost always noted on the B string first, I'll finally change them.

When I first started playing I was only playing with my fingers (no picks, no nails) and I was also using Elixir coated strings. They tended to last 6-9 months. No I play with a pretty thick pick (and fingers) and we play a lot of heavy strummers. I also don't use coated strings on my gigging guitars so I'm lucky get 3 weeks out of them before I notice the B string drift.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:16 AM

I change them when they have lost their warmth and resonance. With untreated/uncoated strings, it's only a few days. With coated strings, a few weeks. With the new XS strings, I've been able to get several months out of them. This was a very pleasant surprise for me!
Old 03-06-2022, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Depends on the strings and guitar. Some guitars sound good for quite a while, others not as long.
Martin SP4100 seem to hold up nicely (yes, I still have a lot of these)
Martin MA540 don't last long
Martin MM12 last a long time
Old 03-06-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I usually wait until the bass strings start to sound thumpy.
This

Ll.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I change them a lot less often than I did 2 years ago when I was playing with friends all the time. Now I feel like it doesn't make much difference.

But, I've had Daddario XS's on my GP-28e for over 3 months and they are still sounding very good. If I was going out with this guitar, I'd feel great playing with these old strings.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:57 AM

For my ears and my hands, the deterioration in sound is so gradual that I normally fail to notice it (until I put new ones on, of course!). And of course it depends upon the strings, their coating, and how often I play that particular guitar. Generally I go by two things: first, how they change color. By the time they look like too-old underwear, it's past time.

When I change strings, I save the old set and put them in the case the new ones were in, mark the date and put them in the guitar, just in case a string breaks. That rarely happens. What does happen is that I will look at my strings then, check the box for the date. Usually it's more than 6 months between changes. And has been known to go an (embarrassed) year.

I have a new one and have been playing it a lot more than usual, almost exclusively, and far more often than usual (work is slow now). It arrived mid January and may get new strings later this month.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:57 AM

I use Elixir strings. I don't like a very bright sound. I change my strings when the tuning and intonation is affected. I wash my hands before playing and wipe the strings after playing. Average play is 8-10 hours a week per guitar. I usually get 6-12 months from a set of strings. Discolored strings don't bother me as long as they sound good. There's no right or wrong answer, just opinion and preference.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:03 AM

add me to the "when they need it" answer.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:04 AM

Simple. Whenever this thread topic comes up!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion