The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
Still one of the few people on earth using a Bird of Paradise Capo.
Is that the one Little Jimmy Dickens was singin' about ?

Me I have a Shub 12 string and Shub 5 string (drop D) but also use the Waves NS most or time

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-06-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Lately I've abandoned my Thalia for the light, quick to use and plenty cheap enough Planet Wave NS. What's your poison lately?
That's also my poison. Cheap and efficient. Glad I'm not the only one with cheap tastes in capos.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I used the Planet Waves NS for a few years and it worked fine and I still have it. I also got the 'updated' one when D'addario bought them out with the fret pad that has give and helps alleviate the low E pulling sharp as well as with flatter fretboards. This one is my backup that stays in my pick pouch.

I went over to the Shubb FineTune yoke capos as I really liked the ability to dial in even tension and suffer less tuning changes. I found them to be a nice compromise between the cheaper Paige and more expensive G7th Heritage and Elliot offerings. They were attractive and worked well.

Then I went over to the Colorado Capo as I enjoyed their offset yoke system to give the hand a little more space. But recently in the past year my guitar stable has changed to all guitars with flatter fretboard radius' and I found that I had to really reef down on the Colorado capos to get those two center strings to not buzz.

So I just recently tried a G7th Heritage that I found used for a very good price and I really like it. Their little mechanical ART system allows for the fret pad to adjust to the shape of the fretboard as advertised and I'm able to get great, even, in-tune key changes with no need to tweak tuning and much applied less pressure. I'm about to post a review.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:49 PM

I have 2 D'Addario Artist Capos. They are the opposite of yours. With mine, the handle is in the top. Wonder why they make both styles? I guess we all have differing tastes.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

As said elsewhere Mrs Moustache wanted to buy me something for my 74th birday next week (if spared) bur Elliott-McKinney refuse to do biz with Brits.

All of my flatops have their own capo and they are all Shubb basic C1s apart from my Santa Cruz which has a Shubb deluxe in flashy gold to go (almost) with its gold gotoh tuners.

I'm so old I still have a Hamilton Capo and a Terry Gould Elastic thingy - both instruments of torture.

The Shubbs do the job, and yes one does need to adjust gthe tuning, but you are giong to do that between numbers anyway - that's what the applause is for!
Old 03-06-2022, 06:54 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
As said elsewhere Mrs Moustache wanted to buy me something for my 74th birday next week (if spared) bur Elliott-McKinney refuse to do biz with Brits.

All of my flatops have their own capo and they are all Shubb basic C1s apart from my Santa Cruz which has a Shubb deluxe in flashy gold to go (almost) with its gold gotoh tuners.

I'm so old I still have a Hamilton Capo and a Terry Gould Elastic thingy - both instruments of torture.

The Shubbs do the job, and yes one does need to adjust gthe tuning, but you are giong to do that between numbers anyway - that's what the applause is for!
Many folks seem to like Shubbs. One of these days maybe I'll order one, but I do have a few capos laying around already. I guess 1 more wouldn't hurt

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-06-2022, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I have a couple Thalia. Yes they're nice, work well (for me) and can be beautiful, etc. However, I also have a couple Shubb's and lately have been going with those. No muss/no fuss and I don't worry about scratching up Shubbs like I do the Thalias. (Uh-oh, I sincerely hope I haven't started another "first ding" or worse yet, "relic" conversation.) LOL
Old 03-06-2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
Still one of the few people on earth using a Bird of Paradise Capo.
menhir,

How's your nostril?

If you see any caressing-minded elephants, run while you still can.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 03-07-2022, 04:40 AM

Long time Shubb user here. I had a compact Diadarrio NS capo of some kind that worked well though when I misplaced it I was happy to go back to Shubb. Trigger capos seem bulky to me but they work well. For me the many Capo options are like the search for a better mousetrap. I use a combination of wooden spring type and a couple of cats for mouse control. Stick with the classics!
Old 03-07-2022, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I use Shubb partial capos most of the time. The Liberty flip capo is another favorite but it only lasts so long be use of the poorly made threaded screw that adjusts tension. It eventually becomes stripped. The needed to use a more durable material. Great idea nonetheless. I’d use the Thalia capo in partial mode if they would redesign it and remove the extra material below the where the last string is dampened to allow for fretting below the capo.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 03-07-2022, 10:39 AM

If I have to make quick changes, I'll use Thalia's

If I have time to set it up, G7th Newport.

I don't use my kyesers much these days, but in a pinch if they are handy, I'll use those too

I use partial capos a lot so sometimes I've got two on the neck.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-07-2022, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Long ago I changed to saddle type capos only. I use Elliot and G7 for 6 and 12 strings. The G7 has become my first choice, easy and quick to put on/off and move around, can quickly get just the right amount of tension for the neck position and guitar in use. And I don't have all that "stuff" hanging down from the neck.

The biggest plus is no tuning required. Considering the cost of a capo vs strings and guitars, for me a one time purchase price is not a consideration, the quality of the music is. And if I can't keep track of a capo then don't deserve to have it.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 03-07-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
I've got a capo in every guitar case & gig bag I own, so I own a BUNCH of capos. I wish I'd found this one sooner:

The really cool thing about that capo is that you can attach a D'Addario micro tuner to it. I have that capo, as well as a couple of NS capos, a G7th Newport, a G7th Performance (Gold/engraved - won in a contest), a couple of Shubbs (Original and Deluxe), an old Dunlop (the kind that straps around the neck), and a Thalia. The one's that I use the most are the D'Addario NS and G7th Newport. I like them because they are pretty slim and don't get in my way. The thing I like about the NS is that you can gradually clamp it down and it rarely changes the tuning, in my experience anyway. They are all good capos. Oh, and I also have a Spider capo. Neat idea, but I rarely used it.
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

Last edited by roadbiker; 03-07-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:22 PM

I use a Dunlop on the 12 string and Kyser on everything else.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-08-2022, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
menhir,

How's your nostril?

If you see any caressing-minded elephants, run while you still can.

Don
I just had surgery on my nose last week...Now that you mention it, it sure does look and feel like a bird of paradise did actually fly up my nose.

The only elephants I plan on seeing while recovering are the occasional pink ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion