The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2022, 05:46 PM

Default FENDER CD60CE SB NUT REPLACEMENT

I have searched high and low for a precut and slotted graphite nut for my Fender CD60CE SB acoustic guitar with no luck. The exact size of the one I have is 42 (mm) in length, 5 (mm) in width, and 7 (mm) in height. I have measured and re-measured and my measurements are correct and exact. I know that a quality nut should be fitted to the exact guitar but I have neither the time nor the money to do that. I need a nut that fits and is ready to go. I also would like to get a graphite saddle for the same guitar. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a link to a pic of an identical (dame model, same color, everything the same) guitar:

https://www.carousell.ph/p/fender-cd...tar-207306544/
Old 03-03-2022, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

A 1mm difference in overall length may not be a problem. What E-to-e string spacing of the nut slots do you want? All the ready-made nuts I have come across are 35mm, which is narrower than any of my guitars' original spacing. If anything, I would want a tad wider. For the nut to do its job well, you also need the depths of the nut slots to be just right - that's rarely the case without some careful filing.

Replacing a nut is a more involved job than most of us want to do without some tools and experience. I have replaced, sanded, shimmed, and intoned many saddles, and have filed and filled quite a few nut slots, but have little desire or confidence to install a nut. Unless the nut on the guitar has been somehow ruined, there's little to gain and much to mess up by installing a different nut.

I think the brand you are thinking of is Graphtech. Visit their website and see if they make something close to what you need. If you don't really need a nut, save yourself money and hassle and put that project way on the back burner. Saddles are a lot easier, more fun, and reversible. If you don't like the new saddle, put the old one back on.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:16 PM

Smile thx

taking that under consideration, thanks again
Old 03-08-2022, 09:06 PM

Unless the manufacturer has that in stock, it’s not likely to happen. I would take/send the guitar to my tech and have her/him make and install the nut and/or saddle. It’s a simple job to have the nut made and installed (which you can install). If you can’t find what you want get ahold of Bob Colosi and see if he will make you one to your measurements. I know he can out of bone but I’m not sure if he can out of graphite.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion