The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2022, 01:11 PM

Default Taylor GT vs Academy 12E

Good afternoon and thanks for your previous help. I’m in sight of the finish line. 😁

After much deliberation and procrastination I was pretty set on purchasing an Academy 12e. To recap, We have a Martin 00016GT and a GS Mini Koa Plu that we love. The 000-16 is a wonderful guitar but I often capo on 1st fret due to shoulder issues. I’m going to trade a DJr-10e for the Academy 22e (I can’t make peace with the 1 3/4” nut. The GT seems perfect except for the nut being a little wider.
11/16 .6875
23/32 .7185
3/4 .750

* I realize it’s subjective but who has a GT with the 23/32 nut and another model with an 11/16. Do you notice the difference? I’m imagining you don’t. I can tell you that I feel and don’t enjoy the 1 3/4
* Who has had or has compared the Taylor GT with Taylor Academy 12e. Is the 12E easier to play? Is it because of the body bevel or does it mater a great deal.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Lonnie

Last edited by Lonnie; 02-27-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:30 PM

Hi

I just bought a GT611 on Saturday and found the nut width to be fine. I am used to playing a Taylor 512 or a Martin 000-28, which both have 1 3/4 nut width, but I honestly haven’t noticed a difference. That said, I really do feel cramped on my GS-Mini, but I do not feel cramped on the GT.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Hi Lonnie,
I'm not sure can be of help directly, but I do have a GT urban ash, and other guitars with 1 11/16" nuts, and can tell you I have no issue moving "up" to the GT's width. BUT...I also prefer 1.75" necks, so not sure my opinion applies to your situation.

I have a few guitars, and just got used to jumping between neck sizes, for the most part, I don't really notice much anymore. The ol' noodle just adapts. What I DO notice having a little more adjustment period to is scale length. I really didn't think an inch or less over 2 feet would be so noticeable, but for me, its a much bigger deal than nut width. Not sure if one is better or worse, but certainly different.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-28-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Hi Lonnie,
I'm not sure can be of help directly, but I do have a GT urban ash, and other guitars with 1 11/16" nuts, and can tell you I have no issue moving "up" to the GT's width. BUT...I also prefer 1.75" necks, so not sure my opinion applies to your situation.

I have a few guitars, and just got used to jumping between neck sizes, for the most part, I don't really notice much anymore. The ol' noodle just adapts. What I DO notice having a little more adjustment period to is scale length. I really didn't think an inch or less over 2 feet would be so noticeable, but for me, its a much bigger deal than nut width. Not sure if one is better or worse, but certainly different.
Hi Dave and thanks, the scale length was what got my attention on the GT. Have you played the Academy 12e? Curious of the body style and body bevel help negate the scale length feel. Of course, it’s a 1000 smackers more too 😳😬.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Hi Dave and thanks, the scale length was what got my attention on the GT. Have you played the Academy 12e? Curious of the body style and body bevel help negate the scale length feel. Of course, it’s a 1000 smackers more too 😳😬.
No, I havent. Is the Academy a long scale?

I find scale length differences more pronounced in fretting chords, than overall length. Which surprises me, as the differences between 2 or 3 frets really small.

I look at scale length and nut width akin to a new lens for my Nikon. Not better or worse (maybe for certain tasks) but another tool to use in different situations. One of life’s “good challenges”. Havent mastered any of them (guitars or lenses) but the fun is in trying!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-28-2022, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi Lonnie, I've played and briefly owned the GT and played the Academy 12. Both nice guitars. I felt the GT played amazing, the Academy played real nice, but the scale length on the GT for me (I like small/shorter scale guitars) almost played itself.

To my ears in comparing both guitars:
The GT lacked a bit in the midrange (the reason I briefly owned) played fantastic.
The Academy 12 was a overall a little fuller sounding, played nice.

Hope this helps, wish you luck in your decision.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
No, I havent. Is the Academy a long scale?

I find scale length differences more pronounced in fretting chords, than overall length. Which surprises me, as the differences between 2 or 3 frets really small.

I look at scale length and nut width akin to a new lens for my Nikon. Not better or worse (maybe for certain tasks) but another tool to use in different situations. One of life’s “good challenges”. Havent mastered any of them (guitars or lenses) but the fun is in trying!
It’s a 24.7” scale if memory serves so yes it is a short scale.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi Lonnie, I've played and briefly owned the GT and played the Academy 12. Both nice guitars. I felt the GT played amazing, the Academy played real nice, but the scale length on the GT for me (I like small/shorter scale guitars) almost played itself.

To my ears in comparing both guitars:
The GT lacked a bit in the midrange (the reason I briefly owned) played fantastic.
The Academy 12 was a overall a little fuller sounding, played nice.

Hope this helps, wish you luck in your decision.
Yes, it does. The Feedback I keep getting on the Academy 12e has been really good all around. I’ve had a few other folks in my age bracket and some with shoulder and neck issues as well say they find the 12e very comfortable. I’ve also heard the tone comments that matched your comments. I think we all have discovered by now that no 2 are the same. If I had got more consistently good reports on the GT Urban Ash I might have thought a little harder but 1000 dollars difference and that knowledge sends me back to the Academy. Thanks again!
Old 02-28-2022, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, it does. The Feedback I keep getting on the Academy 12e has been really good all around. I’ve had a few other folks in my age bracket and some with shoulder and neck issues as well say they find the 12e very comfortable. I’ve also heard the tone comments that matched your comments. I think we all have discovered by now that no 2 are the same. If I had got more consistently good reports on the GT Urban Ash I might have thought a little harder but 1000 dollars difference and that knowledge sends me back to the Academy. Thanks again!
You're on the right track in your thinking, no two guitars are alike, and Im sure there are lots of good GTs, just wasn't for me. The Academy 12 is a nice guitar, very comfortable and the couple I played were pretty consistent.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-28-2022, 09:47 PM

I have an Academy 12e. It really is a sweet guitar. It is very comfortable to play and sounds bigger than one would expect. I have no problems recommending this guitar to anyone. On a side note, it is the only guitar I bought new - about four years ago. It’s the one up on the mantle in this picture:

Old 02-28-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
I have an Academy 12e. It really is a sweet guitar. It is very comfortable to play and sounds bigger than one would expect. I have no problems recommending this guitar to anyone. On a side note, it is the only guitar I bought new - about four years ago. It’s the one up on the mantle in this picture:

Thanks for responding. Geez, what a beautiful collection and she looks nice setting up there looking down on her subjects! And dang, if money were no object, that 12 fret would be in my collection too!
Old 03-01-2022, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That echoes my thoughts. I kept my GTe, but mainly because my daughter adopted it as hers. It is avery nice, well-built guitar, that I really cant say anything bad about….except it costs 3x what my Dred jr costs. Like you mentioned, that extra $1000 can go a long way…
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-10-2022, 07:17 PM

Default Update

Well, my not so local Guitar Center was supposed to get a Taylor Academy 12E but it wasn’t on their delivery truck. They did have several GT’s though. I figured I’d make the trek and check them out. Would be my luck when the Academy’s came in the GTs would be gone.

I’m glad I did check them out. I know this can be subjective and I certainly wouldn’t want to upset any GT lovers…. They had 4 in the acoustic room and I played two of them. I didn’t like them at all. For one think the action was REALLY high which can obviously be lowered but I was a little surprised at how high they were. The sound was, okay. I felt like my GS Mini Koa Plus had a little better all the way around tone and a little less bright. Lastly, the frets sides were sharp. Like really slice you finger sharp. It just a little surprised me they’d let them get out like that.
Who knows, maybe I found two bad eggs. They’re supposed to call me when an Academy comes in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion